Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwsnj3rd
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default S2 YES or NO

Hi all
    A coworker has the S1 and loves it. I currently have a Tour on telus CDMA and looking for a new phone. So i'm thinking of the S2 to put on there 3g network. Now i have read alot of different things on this site, now asking straight up is it a good upgrade from my Tour. Please keep your answers in the 200$ and under market, and not suggesting brand new 500$ phones. I'm not really sure i'm going to like the click screen but he doesn't mind it. I am having problems bridging my playbook on the CDMA network.
    thx everyone
    keith
    CrackBerry Addict

I never had any problems with my S2 and I loved that click! I have the 9850- just cuz I had an upgrade available and love me a new phone. I don't have the playbook yet so I can't say how well it behaves with that but I am sure someone on here can help you with that.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for the reply, but "really". 145 views and knowone has any advise on whether its a good phone or not in the "used" 200$ price range ?
    keith
    CrackBerry User

Well sometimes I love typing on my 9550 and sometimes I really hate it, it's the damn buggy OS is what really kills the whole experience.

It will take you a while to get used to the screen. Somebody said that typing on the storm is like doing a chore and he's kinda right.

But there's something about the storm that l like it... Previous devices have been
    9000 9700 9550 9780 and back to the 9550. Oh boy the 9780 was crap.

Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by tigger95; 11-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith1000 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but "really". 145 views and knowone has any advise on whether its a good phone or not in the "used" 200$ price range ?
    keith
    It can be. I had one for awhile loaded with the .607 os and loved it. Others complained and said that os wasn't good. If you have it set up with a good os, you will like it and then yes, it is worth it. But understand this device runs on os5 and that is old technology.

CrackBerry Newbie

I have an S2 running a hybrid OS and it's fine. Everything works great. It's on GSM and I have no complaints.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    PIN
    30FDE665

I haven't been on here in a long time, but I signed on just to answer your question.

There is no way you should be paying $200 for a S2. I bought one brand new the day it came out over 2 years ago for $200. I am sure you can find a used one for less than $75 online.

In addition, I would never spend an update on a phone that was outdated the day it came out 2 years ago. I didn't hate the S2, I actually liked it for the first year or so, but it just doesn't compare to other phones, even other BBs.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    6,462 Global Posts

I love my Storm2 and won't consider updating yet.
    The two things that bother me the most:
    SurePress - pain to press
    Cursor - it's buggy
    Both of these together makes typing a chore for me.
    Having said that, I'm gonna keep it.
    Good Luck

iPhone 4S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Former Storm2 & Palm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    CrackBerry User

Hope this doesn't count as a necro since I too am in a similar boat.

It seems like there's a lot of negative overall aspects to the Storm 2. Is it even worth getting as a minor used upgrade to the Tour? Biggest worries to me are the software aspects--just how bad is it? (responsiveness in typing, etc.)

I guess a simple straight answer would be good--seems pretty even thus far. I was thinking of pairing this up with the hybrid OS's out there if it helps in the debate.
    Cheers,
    - cm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by chronomatic View Post
    Hope this doesn't count as a necro since I too am in a similar boat.

It seems like there's a lot of negative overall aspects to the Storm 2. Is it even worth getting as a minor used upgrade to the Tour? Biggest worries to me are the software aspects--just how bad is it? (responsiveness in typing, etc.)

I guess a simple straight answer would be good--seems pretty even thus far. I was thinking of pairing this up with the hybrid OS's out there if it helps in the debate.
    The only problems I have had is with my speaker. I do a lot of shop and metalworking and dust size steel ruins my speaker. Since the first time I learned to R & R the speaker myself and now keep it in the leather (like) holster when in the shop. I use the latest Verizon software and don't have a lot of apps installed and running. It is easier for me to type on it than the Bold I have has a spare. I would never pay $200 for a new one however, there are like new ones on the market. Try before you buy. The folks who switched to an Android phone are the ones with the apps, I just like the way BB pushes your email, that is important to me. So its YES for me.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    PIN
    ATA

Thumbs down NO

No...

You should be able to find a better option than the Storm2 in the BB stable...

Check out your carrier's options here...
    BlackBerry - Verizon Wireless - BlackBerry Smartphones Offered by Verizon Wireless

Coming from a current Storm2 owner/user... if you can get a deal on a BB Torch to fit your budget, go with that... else, get by with a basic phone until BBX phnes are out.

The Storm product line isn't highly thought of in the halls at RIM either, for what that is worth...
    Storm 2 > HTC Thunderbolt ADR6400L > Droid Bionic
    CrackBerry User

Now that's depressing! Even for a cheap used device. However these are wise warnings overall. I'll definitely take them into consideration, although not surprisingly my preferences are leaning toward finding the right Torch 9800 deal.

Looks like it'll be a tough find, but well worth it!
    Cheers,
    - cm
    CrackBerry Master

I am a big BB fan and have had 4 of them plus a Storm 2 which I kept less than 24 hours. For me nothing was good about it. Wrong weight balance, impossible to use single handed, unpleasant touch screen. Are they still selling it?
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    eapple EXPress

I have a hybrid OS and loads of apps and games and haven't had any trouble. The browser is the only thing that's not on par with other smartphones.

I'll probably switch to the iphone 5 when it comes out but I'm honestly not particularly looking forward to it. I still love this phone.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

I like my storm 2 but not anymore it works ok I have some issues it reboots itself and my ear phone jack only works when I wrap an elastic band around it. I have no problem pumping out a txt or email with one hand and works great but sometime the screen gets a little buggy but maybe its feeling its age lol.I can't wait to upgrade not sure what device I'm getting next but there's no way its worth 200$ now that's what it was brand new and that was what 2 years ago. But if I had to do it again I probably get the same phone or maybe a bold always wanted to try the keyboard on a bb.

Last edited by jwsnj3rd; 12-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    keith1000 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith1000 View Post
    keith
    There is ZERO chance I would pay $200 for a used Storm2 right now. Really bad idea there, in my opinion.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Can't you get a bb7 device for that price?

CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

They should be paying you $200 to take the Storm2 off their hands. Biggest piece of **** ever!
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    eapple EXPress

Quote Originally Posted by pcgizmo View Post
    They should be paying you $200 to take the Storm2 off their hands. Biggest piece of **** ever!
    If you don't use the S2 and you don't like the S2, why are you posting in the S2 forum?

Troll much?
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

well everyone first things first, i did end up buying the S2 9550 and got it for 110$ (canadian) that being said used BB's here in canada are expensive. So here i am pretty excited to get it hooked up, i take it into telus, the guy opens it up pulls the battery and shakes his head, sorry but this isn't compatible with our new network! i was mad. so i said can i hook it back to the CDMA network cause it has both, he shakes his head again and says sorry but this is the 9520 model and doesn't have CDMA. OMG i said 0 for 2 here. so i took the sellers word that it was 9550 and never checked the model. so 110 bucks later i'm still using the old tour and the girlfriend is using the S2 on rogers cause it was gsm unlocked.

so one question to ask. knowbody knew that the S2 could not connect to telus/bell new network? could of saved me a lot of agervation lol.

thx all Keith
    Last edited by keith1000; 12-25-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    eapple EXPress

There are 2 types of S2's, the 9550 and the 9520. They're identical except the 9520 is GSM, and the 9550 is CDMA. You just bought the wrong phone. Sorry.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

if it is 99 cents or less i say yes, other wise look away