Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,028 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #26  

Quote Originally Posted by darynlxm View Post
    I'm just going to focus on that bit of what you said.
    Currently, I have an app (I recently downloaded it just for the heck of it) called Player for YouTube and it I think it's an amazing app for the phone. Videos are clear and easy to play/ pause, searching is a breeze, etc.

Now, it does tell you to use WiFi, which I do anyways, but I believe you can also stream via your carriers network (but then theres that damned data charge ).

I think it might be interesting for you to check out.

I generally use the app while at work, easier to hide my phone and watch videos using the WiFi here, than to watch on the computer itself.

and thats my 0.02$

thanks, but there is another recent thread on the subject, to which I responded several times. One of my responses describes how poorly youtube is rendered on the Storm (compared to the touch), even in "hq" mode on the app u mentioned here. sorry!
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    Did no one else pick up on the point that at 4GB of memory the new Berry will have 1/4 (just 25%) of the memory of the lowest end iPhone 4?

Add that to RIM's flawed memory model and I'm really starting to get nervous about what the new slider and Storm 3 are really going to deliver. We already know the limited memory on the Storm 1 has led to user data being deleted without warning, requiring frequent reboots to manage. And we've also heard how it directly affects the quality of the user experience on any Berry (apps have limited space so graphics and sound files are far smaller with Berry versions of any given app).

With OS6 being larger than OS5 based on everything I've read, I don't have a good feeling about the user experience with the new Berries. RIM needs to seriously step up to remain competitive - and as consumers we need that competition so we gain from all the resulting innovation.

- R.
    I really wonder if people who get into the smartphone market really know ANYTHING about computers at all. I mean FFS, your DVR will delete old data as the drive fills up "without warning." The only catch is you're told in roundabout ways that the system will delete older, unprotected as space runs out. I mean, really... how does stuff like this come as a shock to anyone?

And I can't believe you even compared overall storage space. Sure the iPhone has more "app storage" than BBs do, no argument there, but you can add MicroSD cards to Blackberries for virtually unlimited storage of movies, pictures and audio.
    This is my signature, and it is stupendous.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    Uum, you do realize that's not considering the MicroSD card slot, right? I could throw my 16GB memory card in there and have 20gb in total. 36GB if I get a 32GB card...

I've had no memory issues even with my Storm1. You just have to be careful about what apps you install and make sure none of them leak. Storm2 has no memory leak issue, and is far easier to manage. With double the memory, the Slider should be even easier to manage, even if the OS takes up a lot more space (pre-shrunk).
    I realize that doesn't include the MicroSD card but you can't run apps from it, nor can you store key data like PIM data. That was the problem I had with my Storm 1 - free app memory dropping so low "old" Calendar entries were being deleted. With iPhone I have 32GB I can use any way I want.

This also addresses your second point - I have few 3rd party apps added, it was the data in the native PIM that was too big for the Storm 1 to handle. And no, I'm not interested in changing my working style to suit a flawed device.

As for the Storm 2, it just has more memory but same flawed memory model, so if I use it long enough it's gonna puke too.

- R.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
    I really wonder if people who get into the smartphone market really know ANYTHING about computers at all. I mean FFS, your DVR will delete old data as the drive fills up "without warning." The only catch is you're told in roundabout ways that the system will delete older, unprotected as space runs out. I mean, really... how does stuff like this come as a shock to anyone?

And I can't believe you even compared overall storage space. Sure the iPhone has more "app storage" than BBs do, no argument there, but you can add MicroSD cards to Blackberries for virtually unlimited storage of movies, pictures and audio.
    1) I know lots about computers - been working with them (selling, implementing, etc.) since the late 80's with systems ranging from $5000 - $ several million in price. So I know whereof I speak.

2) Based on my experience, any software or hardware that deletes user data without warning is seriously flawed. Absolutely, positively - if it does it, it's performing unacceptably and the developer should be shot.

3) I deliberately discounted the MiscoSD cards as you can't run apps from them, install apps to them, or store important data like PIM data. Since it's so limited in use, it's just a "nice to have" and the iPhone gives you 32GB to do with as you please.

Sorry, my points stand.

- R.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    I realize that doesn't include the MicroSD card but you can't run apps from it, nor can you store key data like PIM data. That was the problem I had with my Storm 1 - free app memory dropping so low "old" Calendar entries were being deleted. With iPhone I have 32GB I can use any way I want.

This also addresses your second point - I have few 3rd party apps added, it was the data in the native PIM that was too big for the Storm 1 to handle. And no, I'm not interested in changing my working style to suit a flawed device.

As for the Storm 2, it just has more memory but same flawed memory model, so if I use it long enough it's gonna puke too.

- R.
    I easily receive over 800 emails a day with multiple appointments etc etc. I have never had that happen, the phone has run for weeks before a reboot only because i added or removed an app. My old storm I had to be rebooted almost daily.

The memory allocation and usage has been improved from one device to the next.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,028 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #31  

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDubbin View Post
    I easily receive over 800 emails a day with multiple appointments etc etc. I have never had that happen, the phone has run for weeks before a reboot only because i added or removed an app. My old storm I had to be rebooted almost daily.

800??? WOW! If I got that many, I think I'd drop off "the grid". Wading through that would irritate the heck out of me. I hardly ever get spam any more. Spam reached it's peak at our house about 5 years ago. One day, in the space of a few minutes, hundreds of emails came poring in to my wife's email. That's the day I changed her email addy for her and she contacted family/friends with the new addy and things are much calmer now. I try hard to protect the email addy I use for business, but even the general email addy I use is quite spam-free.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDubbin View Post

Jeez, I sure wish I were you. Judging by a number of the posts on here, a lot of others do too. But we're not.

Your comments reflect what I'd believed of Berries before I bought one. That is the kind of experience I'd expected. Unfortunately I was seriously disappointed.

Maybe that's the reason there are so many flame wars on here. Some people have your kind of experience, others have mine. And neither side fully understands - or believes - the other. Maybe one of RIM's issues is consistency.

To directly address one of your points, I'm afraid I don't fully believe the memory allocation or usage were improved from Storm 1 to 2. There is simply more memory there, giving users a larger buffer before they hit the wall. Perhaps the memory leak issue was fixed somehow, but that's as far as I'd go. Sorry, that's just the truth of it. I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, but it would require detail and substantial, factual evidence as it contradicts much of the information I've read to the contrary.

- R.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Default Re: RIM "gearing up" to fight the iPhone?? (new touchscreen models alluded to)

RIM is gearing up for a fight the new BB10 looks and acts like an Iphone.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Ph.D.

Global Posts
    5,991 Global Posts
    PIN
    BOSCO

Default Re: RIM "gearing up" to fight the iPhone?? (new touchscreen models alluded to)

Quote Originally Posted by madman0141 View Post
    RIM is gearing up for a fight the new BB10 looks and acts like an Iphone.
    RIM "gearing up" to fight the iPhone??  (new touchscreen models alluded to)-17209084.jpg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12