Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,130 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default RIM "gearing up" to fight the iPhone?? (new touchscreen models alluded to)

BlackBerrys Will Get Touchscreens To Fight iPhone 4 - Yahoo! News

Since our Storms are the only touchscreen RIM phones, I figure this is the best forum to locate this thread in. (or maybe it should be in the Rumors section?)
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,436 Global Posts

The slider is touch...

Global Posts
    10,130 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bighap View Post
    The slider is touch...
    right. and if I'm not mistaken, early indications are Verizon won't sell it, right?
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,436 Global Posts

Correct, AT&T looks to be getting it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

Wow, first WSJ is crazy late with this news, and now Yahoo... way to be ahead of the news curve!
    This is my signature, and it is stupendous.

Global Posts
    10,130 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
    Wow, first WSJ is crazy late with this news, and now Yahoo... way to be ahead of the news curve!
    LOL! I get so many "news" items tossed onto my screen when I'm on the web, it's hard separating the wheat from the chaff. Because I personalize Google and Yahoo news with my interests (both subjects and news sources), I get a lot of redundant and late "news" as well as breaking news.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,673 Global Posts

Probably not much of a fight. Pre-launch sales of the iPhone were sold out by 1:30. Pretty impressive sales for any phone. We can hope though.
    Mike
    First Storm - Nov. 23, 2008
    9530 - .328 / 9550 - .713 / 9630 .591 / iPhone iOS4
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    LOL! I get so many "news" items tossed onto my screen when I'm on the web, it's hard separating the wheat from the chaff. Because I personalize Google and Yahoo news with my interests (both subjects and news sources), I get a lot of redundant and late "news" as well as breaking news.
    Must be slow. Glossing over the article, it does seem intriguing, but if you read it in depth, it's just talking about the 9800 and Blackberry 6 (OS6.0), which we all already know about. It is kinda funny that the article talks like the 9800 is RIMs first foray into touchscreen devices.

Will be interesting to see if RIM goes straight touch/track/QWERTY hybrid in the future like Palms and stuff were.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    815 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrafied View Post
    Probably not much of a fight. Pre-launch sales of the iPhone were sold out by 1:30. Pretty impressive sales for any phone. We can hope though.
    Nah, if you think this thing is going to dent iPhone sales by any significant margin, you should probably lay off the lead paint chips. RIM needs to grow their market share for sure, but considering the amount of rabid fanboys out there, they shouldn't be concerned with going after the iPhone crowd.

Global Posts
    10,130 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Joel S. View Post
    Nah, if you think this thing is going to dent iPhone sales by any significant margin, you should probably lay off the lead paint chips. RIM needs to grow their market share for sure, but considering the amount of rabid fanboys out there, they shouldn't be concerned with going after the iPhone crowd.
    Apple's 28% is closing in on RIM's 35%...but that doesn't mean I'm gonna join the Jesus-phone crowd! I do NOT like the iPhone.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Addict

Apple's 28% is closing in on RIM's 35%...but that doesn't mean I'm gonna join the Jesus-phone crowd! I do NOT like the iPhone.
    And that's just with one phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by BerryGroupie View Post
    In my opinion, pulling out a BlackBerry while in a meeting says you're a serious professional.

Global Posts
    10,130 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Yeah, we need more "ammo" to fight with!
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,140 Global Posts
    PIN
    KY and the Brain. One is a genius the others insane.

Yeah but that is counting worldwide numbers as well. They don't really have 1 phone though, have 3 different models.

I agree I don't like the iphone either. the article was pretty funny because he was talking about swiping pictures and the calendar and such like they were new and the storm2 didnt have those technologies. To be honest my storm 2 can do everything the iPhone can do minus all the apps they have available. Apples to Apples, the storm2 is an equal device that is a much better phone then the iPhone and in my opinion a much better typing experience.

What is ridiculous is I read probably 6 of these "articles" today from all different tech writers and all act like the storm/storm2 never existed and the new slider is the first touchscreen blackberry.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 06-15-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    Crackberry:Because Real Crack Is Too Expensive.

Four phones. iPhone, 3G, 3GS, iPhone4

IAC it all depends which statistic is taken. Total sales ever, sales in time period, currently active phones will all produce different answers depending on the wishes of those who commission the survey. Applying a geographic limit (or not), and considering all phone types or only smartphones will also skew the result according to the desired result.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones

Global Posts
    10,130 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by theanswer3 View Post
    Yeah but that is counting worldwide numbers as well. They don't really have 1 phone though, have 3 different models.

I agree I don't like the iphone either. the article was pretty funny because he was talking about swiping pictures and the calendar and such like they were new and the storm2 didnt have those technologies. To be honest my storm 2 can do everything the iPhone can do minus all the apps they have available. Apples to Apples, the storm2 is an equal device that is a much better phone then the iPhone and in my opinion a much better typing experience.

What is ridiculous is I read probably 6 of these "articles" today from all different tech writers and all act like the storm/storm2 never existed and the new slider is the first touchscreen blackberry.
    There are a FEW apps on my Touch that I wish I could use on my Storm, such as Phone Flix (I can manage my Netflix queue on that), youtube video looks superior (well, minus the fact that the touch/iPhone screen itself is inferior in every way to the Storm's screen), and...well heck...there really isn't THAT MUCH in the way of apps that I can't live without, come to think of it! LOL! I have several apps duplicated between my S2 and my touch such as: Pandora, iheartradio, Kindle.

As far as typing goes? I DETEST typing on my touch. Typing on my S2 is a far better experience--I'm more accurate and faster on the S2.
    Dave - Moto Bionic

Here's a different perspective, taking figures for the 2009 calendar year.

iPhone Blows Past Windows Mobile
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theanswer3 View Post

I agree on most points, but the multi-touch features is where I don't agree. The iPhone and my iPod Touch blow my Storm2 away in multi-touch support and therefore ease of navigating the OS, web pages, pictures, etc. There is just no substitute or comparison. It is one feature I am frustrated RIM has not added. I am told BB6 will have it, but I will wait and see. Most Android phones don't have it either, and I have to say for a new user, which is not me, it is a killer feature to have. It just makes it intuitive and quick to navigate. Here is hoping RIM gets this part right and soon!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Branta View Post
    Four phones. iPhone, 3G, 3GS, iPhone4
    Ok, but that is against how many curves, tours, bolds, storms, etc?
    In my opinion, pulling out a BlackBerry while in a meeting says you're a serious professional.

Ok, but that is against how many curves, tours, bolds, storms, etc?
    You seem to grasp the logic admirably

Oh, are you splitting the curve by model numbers? How about the color variants?

Global Posts
    10,130 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

Quote Originally Posted by dbw1000 View Post
    I agree on most points, but the multi-touch features is where I don't agree. The iPhone and my iPod Touch blow my Storm2 away in multi-touch support and therefore ease of navigating the OS, web pages, pictures, etc. There is just no substitute or comparison. It is one feature I am frustrated RIM has not added. I am told BB6 will have it, but I will wait and see. Most Android phones don't have it either, and I have to say for a new user, which is not me, it is a killer feature to have. It just makes it intuitive and quick to navigate. Here is hoping RIM gets this part right and soon!
    I agree that browsing the web on the touch is superior to browsing it on the Storm--no contest.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

I do not like green eggs and ham. I DO NOT like them Sam I Am!

Quote Originally Posted by dbw1000 View Post
    Any htc sense android phone has it as well as any android phone on 2.1 or higher. It is possible on some applications like dolphin browser for other devices with older versions as long as the hardware supports it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Newbie

...youtube video looks superior...
    I'm just going to focus on that bit of what you said.
    Currently, I have an app (I recently downloaded it just for the heck of it) called Player for YouTube and it I think it's an amazing app for the phone. Videos are clear and easy to play/ pause, searching is a breeze, etc.

Now, it does tell you to use WiFi, which I do anyways, but I believe you can also stream via your carriers network (but then theres that damned data charge ).

I think it might be interesting for you to check out.

I generally use the app while at work, easier to hide my phone and watch videos using the WiFi here, than to watch on the computer itself.

and thats my 0.02$
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,151 Global Posts

Did no one else pick up on the point that at 4GB of memory the new Berry will have 1/4 (just 25%) of the memory of the lowest end iPhone 4?

Add that to RIM's flawed memory model and I'm really starting to get nervous about what the new slider and Storm 3 are really going to deliver. We already know the limited memory on the Storm 1 has led to user data being deleted without warning, requiring frequent reboots to manage. And we've also heard how it directly affects the quality of the user experience on any Berry (apps have limited space so graphics and sound files are far smaller with Berry versions of any given app).

With OS6 being larger than OS5 based on everything I've read, I don't have a good feeling about the user experience with the new Berries. RIM needs to seriously step up to remain competitive - and as consumers we need that competition so we gain from all the resulting innovation.

- R.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    Did no one else pick up on the point that at 4GB of memory the new Berry will have 1/4 (just 25%) of the memory of the lowest end iPhone 4?
    Uum, you do realize that's not considering the MicroSD card slot, right? I could throw my 16GB memory card in there and have 20gb in total. 36GB if I get a 32GB card...

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster99 View Post
    Add that to RIM's flawed memory model and I'm really starting to get nervous about what the new slider and Storm 3 are really going to deliver. We already know the limited memory on the Storm 1 has led to user data being deleted without warning, requiring frequent reboots to manage. And we've also heard how it directly affects the quality of the user experience on any Berry (apps have limited space so graphics and sound files are far smaller with Berry versions of any given app).
    I've had no memory issues even with my Storm1. You just have to be careful about what apps you install and make sure none of them leak. Storm2 has no memory leak issue, and is far easier to manage. With double the memory, the Slider should be even easier to manage, even if the OS takes up a lot more space (pre-shrunk).
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Masahiro View Post
    I've had no memory issues even with my Storm1. You just have to be careful about what apps you install and make sure none of them leak.
    Translation: "I've had no memory issues even with my storm 1, because I am absolutely afraid to load most apps for fear that they might leak."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast