Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By D_March
  • 1 Post By Jaji_vzw8330
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Why so serious?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Proud Storm Deuce Users, Post Here!!

I've got the 9550 Storm 2 and coupled with a PlayBook, they make for a sweet sweet harmony! However I feel that it is an awesome phone in its own right, and I mean awesome by its original definition, as in worthy of much awe. Sure, like the first Storm that hit town before it, its riddled with issues. But, in retrospect, what phone isn't? I still show my Storm Deuce off to friends and family because the technology is still so largely unknown. I think the S2 is largely a good phone and was mostly scarred by the blasphemos mess that carried the name before it. I've prepared here a short review of my PROs with the Storm 2. This forum is riddled with posts covering its CONs, so I figured it was time for a refresher. Here are some things I adore about the 9550:

>SCREEN: As mentioned, the screen is best-in-class solely because its the only one of its class. SurePress may not be for everyone...but anyone can admit that the technology used the second time around was worlds better than the first attempt. Its the only screen like it on mobile tech today and I wouldn't be surprised if it stays that way. It really was ahead of its time and I don't think RIM botched the execution so much as the world was ready for it and/or didn't care for it. That being said, its still a one of a kind to stand out amongst the crowd. And it may be just me but that screen is gorgeous. I'm not so sure what RIM went for as far as screen technology but colors pop, viewing angles are better than on most devices I've used, and it really is just a joy to look at, despite paltry resolution.

>>SOUND: As with most BBs I've used, the sound this thing produces is next to none. I listen to my tunes in the shower and can hear it across the room no problem. And that's not to mention the clarity of the speaker phone, as well as the earpiece. Sound through headphones is as to be expected, and I noticed better than average clarity through my BlueTooth headset as well as car system. All of this is better than what is produced by my Curve 8330, also not a bad device in its own right.

>>>BROWSER: I know previous (and probably current) Storm 2 users are going to look at me like "WTF bro?!" for this one, but yes, I actually do quite like the stock browser on the 9550. Its lite, to the point, and plenty fast for me. Its not I.E, WebKit or Safari but it functions as well as I need it to for what I may need to look up on my phone. Simple pages like Google load in a snap and I can do all that I need to do in a mobile browser quickly and efficiently. If I want a more aesthetically pleasing browsing experience, well, that's what I have my PlayBook for. The browser functions as well as it should on a small communications tool.

>>>>KEYBOARD: This will be the last thing I touch on as you can't review any BB device without mentioning the keyboard. And I type this with some bit of reservation. It features no physical keyboard, a hallmark of the BB brand. Its also not REALLY a touchscreen, at least not as we traditionally know them to be. Its sort of a hybrid, if you will. But what it does, it does well. Typing on this thing is highly intuitive, SurePress coupled with SureType make for some very fast composing of texts and email. It still doesn't keep up quite as much as you might want it to, but its plenty efficient for everyday tasks. Even using the keyboard on my PlayBook, I find myself longing for that satisfying "click," found on the Storm 2. It feels like a physical keyboard but also it doesn't. It sounds like one, but also it sounds like something entirely unique. In a word, the keyboard on the 9550, and the phone as a whole is...ambiguous.

So there you have it, my short review on some of the things I like most about my Storm 2. I didn't post all of them because one, I didn't want you to have to read a book of a post and two, that's where you guys come in! I'm calling on all proud Storm Deuce users still out there to report on what they like most about their device! Please don't post your issues with it, there are other discussions for that. This is for proud 9550 users to explain why they are still caught in the eye of the Storm!!
    ***One cannot get anywhere in life unless they are willing to steal the tiger's wallet.***
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

I had/have a Storm 2 from work. Through no fault of it's own, it went mostly unused (I bought and use a personal 9650 instead), but I did actually like many things about the Storm 2.

One of the things I dislike about touchscreens (even with my PlayBook) is the lack of confirmation before making a selection. The SurePress idea addressed that issue, as even when selecting menu options you had a chance to highlight something first without actually clicking on it. Best of both worlds! That was pretty brilliant I thought, but consumers and (most) reviewers I guess didn't agree

It's ashame, it sometimes seems like RIM gets SO close to perfecting an idea... and then has to drop it before it reaches it's full potential. The Storm 2, the 9930, The current PlayBook OS... all I think were great at the time, but just needed a few more tweaks to be fully developed.
    Thanked by:
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx (12-09-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,941 Global Posts

Nice review. It's good to see a consumer judge a product on their own terms and not based on fear of how another might perceive them.
    Thanked by:
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx (12-09-2012) 
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx likes this.

Global Posts
    30,958 Global Posts
    PIN
    In Semi-retirement

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    I had/have a Storm 2 from work. Through no fault of it's own, it went mostly unused (I bought and use a personal 9650 instead), but I did actually like many things about the Storm 2.

One of the things I dislike about touchscreens (even with my PlayBook) is the lack of confirmation before making a selection. The SurePress idea addressed that issue, as even when selecting menu options you had a chance to highlight something first without actually clicking on it. Best of both worlds! That was pretty brilliant I thought, but consumers and (most) reviewers I guess didn't agree

It's ashame, it sometimes seems like RIM gets SO close to perfecting an idea... and then has to drop it before it reaches it's full potential. The Storm 2, the 9930, The current PlayBook OS... all I think were great at the time, but just needed a few more tweaks to be fully developed.
    Many current phones use haptic feedback to compensate for the 'physical' sensation to enhance input. Screens that didn't have the feedback lead me to have a negative impression of them a couple of years ago, but the last two devices I've owned were full-touchscreen, and I've had very little problem adapting to them. The Motorola haptic was about 3x longer than my current Galaxy SIII, but the tiny buzz still is very effective, probably even more so than I imagined.

The other advent was larger screens. I couldn't stand trying to type on the iPhone's screen, the keyboard was so tiny. The keyboard I'm using now combines tap with a swipe type of feature, and I like it even more. To boot, it auto-adds apostrophes and auto-capitalizes the I, which my last phone did not do. it does make a difference.

The Storms were definitely an unusual experiment in hybriding, with mixed results. I know people that swore by, and at, them. Sometime, simultaneously. BB did a lot better job with the Torch full-touch devices, so much so that I actually gave it a nod for a touchscreen.
    Thanked by:
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx (12-10-2012) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts
    PIN
    5028A10E

I had, literally, 6-8 Storm devices (I and II) in two and a half years. I even attempted my best Nolan Ryan impersonation with one of them and a brick wall.
    I am very confident, though I have no scientific study or poll as evidence, that when you talk about BB users who left 2007-2009, it was the Storm that drove them away.
    My running joke with VZW technicians for my bi-weekly call regarding some kind of issue (that is NOT an exaggeration....something, on EVERY Storm I had, went wrong every two weeks....I believe once I may have made it a month and a half with no calls to the technical help department) was that I knew why it was called the Storm.....because it BLOWS!
    I now have the Torch 9850 and LOVE it. If they had released THAT phone, instead of Storm 2, BB IMHO would still be king, or at least a solid 2nd place.
    The Storm series destroyed Blackberry....
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's great to hear such thoughts. Happy with my Storm 2 for all the reasons stated in the post (oh, except for the browser. Have Opera to take care of it. I love the hapstick 'clack' but i got my Storm 2 the 'lightning keyboard' app. I believe RIM has stopped making the device so I'm doing my best to take care of this precious part of my mobile life.

What I found quite interesting is that when people see my device, they can't help but check it out. My Storm 2 may be an 'oldie', but it's still 'GOODIE' big time

Cheers to all Storm Troopers!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Why so serious?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Default Re: Proud Storm Deuce Users, Post Here!!

Quote Originally Posted by brodcaster View Post
    It's great to hear such thoughts. Happy with my Storm 2 for all the reasons stated in the post (oh, except for the browser. Have Opera to take care of it. I love the hapstick 'clack' but i got my Storm 2 the 'lightning keyboard' app. I believe RIM has stopped making the device so I'm doing my best to take care of this precious part of my mobile life.

What I found quite interesting is that when people see my device, they can't help but check it out. My Storm 2 may be an 'oldie', but it's still 'GOODIE' big time

Cheers to all Storm Troopers!
    LOVE the Storm Trooper moniker!! Thanks for your reply and for giving me my new forum identity!!
    ***One cannot get anywhere in life unless they are willing to steal the tiger's wallet.***
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    eapple EXPress

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfgang View Post
    I had, literally, 6-8 Storm devices (I and II) in two and a half years. I even attempted my best Nolan Ryan impersonation with one of them and a brick wall.
    I am very confident, though I have no scientific study or poll as evidence, that when you talk about BB users who left 2007-2009, it was the Storm that drove them away.
    My running joke with VZW technicians for my bi-weekly call regarding some kind of issue (that is NOT an exaggeration....something, on EVERY Storm I had, went wrong every two weeks....I believe once I may have made it a month and a half with no calls to the technical help department) was that I knew why it was called the Storm.....because it BLOWS!
    I now have the Torch 9850 and LOVE it. If they had released THAT phone, instead of Storm 2, BB IMHO would still be king, or at least a solid 2nd place.
    The Storm series destroyed Blackberry....
    I always wondered why some people had to get 10 Storms while others are still on their first one.

The Storm 2 was/is a GREAT phone, one of the most underrated of all time. The Storm 1 hurt the Storm 2 more than anything because people developed preconceived notions about it.

But going through 6-8 Storms can not be all RIM's fault. At some point, you have to look in the mirror.
    Thanked by:
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx (12-14-2012) 
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    Why so serious?
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Default Re: Proud Storm Deuce Users, Post Here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaji_vzw8330 View Post
    I always wondered why some people had to get 10 Storms while others are still on their first one.

The Storm 2 was/is a GREAT phone, one of the most underrated of all time. The Storm 1 hurt the Storm 2 more than anything because people developed preconceived notions about it.

But going through 6-8 Storms can not be all RIM's fault. At some point, you have to look in the mirror.
    Agreed.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Proud Storm Deuce Users, Post Here!!

I am still using a Storm2 and it is 2013. A classic never dies! I have it all set and ramped up to my needs, and i dominate the email/text/facebook/twitter wars with my peers! i will be sad the day i get a BB10 and have to move!

Sent from my BlackBerry Storm 2
    CrackBerry Addict

I too am still using my Storm 2. Still works great; I use it for email (a lot, and several accounts), Twitter, Facebook, texting and some browsing. For browsing I rely mostly on Opera Mini. I`m looking foward to getting a Z10 but there are things I will miss with this OS5.