CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Processor?

So today I was reading a little bit about the nexus one thats being released later today and it was talking about the processor in the nexus one being a snap dragon 1GHZ, the most powerful out there. So after a quick search i couldnt really find out the speed of our beloved Storm 2's CPU. Anyone know?
    Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

As far as I can figure out, the Storm 2 has the qualcomm msm 7627. I cannot find confirmation on this anywhere, but it is a logical assumption considering that this is the chip found in the new Curve. This is also the chip that powers the Palm Pixi, and it is said to be a dual core chip with 1 core running at 600 mhz, and the other core running at 400 mhz. It also has a 200 mhz gpu.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    PIN
    Cushion

Storm 2 has the same CPU as the Storm 1, 528 Mhz.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gozirra View Post
    Can you prove that? I've checked the databases for both the msm 7600 (Storm 1 and Tour) and the msm 7627 (Curve 2 and Palm Pixi) and it is not listed for either.

R.I.M. did state themselves that only the Storm 2 and Curve 2 have the newest qualcomm chips to allow open gl processing so I think my reasoning is more than sufficient to say they have the same one.

Also, it wouldn't make much sence to put a more powerful chip in a lower end device that was released less than a month later.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gozirra View Post
    Not likely. You cannot say that with authority unless you can point to a reliable spec sheet somewhere. Just because that was the speculation on CB before the S2 launched doesn't make it so. It is more logical to deduce (as D_S did above) that the S2 has the newer MSM7627. But the information is not public knowledge, either way. Not even pdadb.net has the info.

RIM BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    Not likely. You cannot say that with authority unless you can point to a reliable spec sheet somewhere. Just because that was the speculation on CB before the S2 launched doesn't make it so. It is more logical to deduce (as D_S did above) that the S2 has the newer MSM7627. But the information is not public knowledge, either way. Not even pdadb.net has the info.

RIM BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications
    Thanks for the backup. I really wish they'd just confirm it already.
    CrackBerry Addict

Pcmag.com has the specs for all the blackberries and processor speeds...the storm 2 is 528mhz

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by blkbryluva; 01-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blkbryluva View Post
    Pcmag.com has the specs for all the blackberries and processor speeds...the storm 2 is 528mhz

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Pcmag.com is going on the speculation that Storm 2 has the same chip as Storm 1. RIM has blocked the public release of this information so there is no way for them to do anything other than speculate like the rest of us.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Processors are generally labeled with item/plant codes, hasn't anyone taken the S2 apart yet to find out? I find it hard to believe they have a microprocessor in there with no labels.
    Trend: 9000 (first BB) -> 9550
    Purchased Applications: BerryWeather, BerryBuzz, StormSlider, Meterberry, QuickLaunch, BeejiveIM, Vlingo
    Favorite Free Applications: SocialScope, Pandora, Google Voice App
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
    Processors are generally labeled with item/plant codes, hasn't anyone taken the S2 apart yet to find out? I find it hard to believe they have a microprocessor in there with no labels.
    I thought this myself, but I haven't been able to find anyone who's done it. I'm not going first either
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

Seeing as the Storm2 has Open GL support and after having both phones, I would be blown away if they have the same processor. My Storm2 is way more responsive. Additionally, I have never heard of a cell phone having a GPU on a separate chip and really don't see how there is much room to do it. I therefore assume it is a completely different processor with an Open GL GPU included.

Hopefully someone will tear one apart and confirm so we can put the discussion to bed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

(HTC 8x WP8, BB Z10, iPhone 4S, Droid Incredible 2, BB Storm2, BB 9650 prior.)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

It amazes me the someone tore one down and did not report the processor. It must be a confidentiality issue.

BlackBerry Storm 2 -- and its piezoelectric soul -- dissected at last -- Engadget
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts

VZW iPhone 5 32GB / Blk

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dbw1000 View Post
    It amazes me the someone tore one down and did not report the processor. It must be a confidentiality issue.

BlackBerry Storm 2 -- and its piezoelectric soul -- dissected at last -- Engadget
    I saw this while I was searching and it pi$$ed me the f*ck off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dbw1000 View Post
    Looks like the reason is because the CPU is most likely under one of those heatspreaders. Someone get ballsy and desoldier one lol
    Purchased Applications: BerryWeather, BerryBuzz, StormSlider, Meterberry, QuickLaunch, BeejiveIM, Vlingo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts

Yup -

As I just said on the teardown thread - the entire chipset is under shielding for radio frequency interference protection. Trying to remove the shield would likely destroy the circuit board.

So all we need is one of these "I hate my storm 2" guys to donate one to science It'll never run again, but it's for the betterment of the Crackberry Nation!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Where are the Droid trolls when you need them? They ALL had Storm 2s in there drawers that they left to collect dust because the Droid was the bestest phone that ever was. They should be able to spare one for the greater good.

Global Posts
    23,377 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

qualcomm MSM7627 or MSM7600....neither has been confirmed. the MSM7600 was in the storm 1 so the 7627 could be what gives the Storm 2 a little more kick that we see. As stated you would ruin a phone to find out which is why its not commonly know i think. This has been discussed several times with alot of smart people that usually know this stuff and no one has given any definite answer.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    PIN
    3053A00D

I'll tear one down for CB. all I need is 539 people to pay pal me a dollar or 100 people to pay pal me $5.39 or whatever combination it takes to get me $539.99 so I can but one outright for science.
    The chains which once held us are only the chains which we've made.

I work for Verizon Wireless
    Feel free to pin or pm me with questions.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Arent there any places that are selling replacement S2 parts?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Maybe someone at Crackberry can do a little investigative digging? I know it's of little to no coincidence, but I'm really curious now.
    CrackBerry Master

Ok, so here is a complete listing of components inside the Storm 9530 (this confirms it has a MSM7600): Blackberry Storm 9530 Smartphone - What's Inside_text - Electronic Products

Storm2, couldn't find anything better than this: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf

Global Posts
    23,377 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Quote Originally Posted by shinkodachi View Post
    Ok, so here is a complete listing of components inside the Storm 9530 (this confirms it has a MSM7600): Blackberry Storm 9530 Smartphone - What's Inside_text - Electronic Products

Storm2, couldn't find anything better than this: https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf
    right its no secret of what in the 9530/9500 and for a long while that was what everyone thought the s2 had because it was the fastest chip that qualcomm made that had the specs needed for the device. I am seeing if i can get someone to tear up one of the spare testing ones they have. we will see
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Good luck with that Matt, I really hope it works out.