Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. dazcrackberry's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Not 100% happy with Storm2

    Just purchased my first BB. I've had the storm2 for 2.5 wks now. Not happy with the browser quality or speed. All other features for what my needs are I'm content with.

    Seriously considering switching the phone to the Motorola Droid as I still have 4 days to return the phone for an exchange without any out of pocket expense.

    Anyone care to chime in? Not sure I'm convinced that the new Torch browser will be on the level of the Droid or iPhone????
  2. StaticFX's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,309 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,726 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    The droid has a fair share of problems... read up first. Freezing/locking - apps must be killed to free memory back up...Many users saying its too heavy and the keyboard is useless.

    If you want a good Droid phone.. look at the HTC ERIS. Cheaper and Better designed.
  3. frielfanatic's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    If the browser is the only issue, there is a new opera mini 5.2 available that is working great in my storm 2. if browsing is the main feature you use, both phones you mentioned work great. As a work device I would rank the phones in order of storm 2, iphone then droid. For py, iphone then droid and storm 2 a close 3rd. Call quality is much better on the storm 2. Messaging and typing are better on storm 2 (opinion). Apps and games are hands down best on iphone. Youtube and video are pretty amazing on droid with high quality setting.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  4. nyc_rock's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,402 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    I would try the droid first. When you are not 100% satisfied with that then you can try the Iphone. When you are not 100% satisfied with that you can then decide which phone you would like that you wont be 100% satisfied with.
  5. TallyHo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    795 Posts
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    PIN
    ch Me Please!!
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    I would try the droid first. When you are not 100% satisfied with that then you can try the Iphone. When you are not 100% satisfied with that you can then decide which phone you would like that you wont be 100% satisfied with.
    lol....so true.

    although.....that new Motorola Sholes Tablet on BGR looks pretty sweet....
    I > U
  6. evan87's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I had the Storm1, then upgraded to the Droid, then returned it for the Storm2. The Droid is a fun toy, but I am always typing on my phone and the Storm2 is so much easier to type on and more efficient overall.
    Storm 9550 on Verizon
    Storm --> Droid --> Storm2
  7. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dazcrackberry View Post
    Just purchased my first BB. I've had the storm2 for 2.5 wks now. Not happy with the browser quality or speed. All other features for what my needs are I'm content with.

    Seriously considering switching the phone to the Motorola Droid as I still have 4 days to return the phone for an exchange without any out of pocket expense.

    Anyone care to chime in? Not sure I'm convinced that the new Torch browser will be on the level of the Droid or iPhone????
    You will get a better browser if you get the droid, but you'll have plenty of other issues with a droid. Go read the howard forums, android forums, and the motorola forums to get some idea of what's ahead for you if you get the Droid. None of the phones are without some serious drawbacks. the droid is no exception.
  8. bearkat38
    bearkat38's Avatar
    Guest
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
    The droid has a fair share of problems... read up first. Freezing/locking - apps must be killed to free memory back up...Many users saying its too heavy and the keyboard is useless.

    If you want a good Droid phone.. look at the HTC ERIS. Cheaper and Better designed.
    Quote Originally Posted by evan87 View Post
    I had the Storm1, then upgraded to the Droid, then returned it for the Storm2. The Droid is a fun toy, but I am always typing on my phone and the Storm2 is so much easier to type on and more efficient overall.
    Here we go again! The Droid is called a "toy" simply because it works. they also consider the iPhone a "toy". My Droid does EVERYTHING that BB's do, only faster! No battery pulls (and yes, a program that simulates a battery pull is still a battery pull.), no uneven screens, no stiff bottom buttons, no memory issues, no begging for leaks, etc. Keyboard is NOT useless. Too heavy, really? My phone has NEVER froze, locked up, or any of that nonsense. And more efficient how? These lies are getting old people!
  9. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkat38 View Post
    Here we go again! The Droid is called a "toy" simply because it works. they also consider the iPhone a "toy". My Droid does EVERYTHING that BB's do, only faster! No battery pulls (and yes, a program that simulates a battery pull is still a battery pull.), no uneven screens, no stiff bottom buttons, no memory issues, no begging for leaks, etc. Keyboard is NOT useless. Too heavy, really? My phone has NEVER froze, locked up, or any of that nonsense. And more efficient how? These lies are getting old people!
    You almost make me want to run over to the verizon store and get one, but for one huge issue for me--the lack of Bluetooth voice dialing on all Android handsets (for the moment).
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  10. hookbill's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,916 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,948 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    You will get a better browser if you get the droid, but you'll have plenty of other issues with a droid. Go read the howard forums, android forums, and the motorola forums to get some idea of what's ahead for you if you get the Droid. None of the phones are without some serious drawbacks. the droid is no exception.
    Well dave, obviously you have done your research and have been to these forums. So how about sharing some of these "serious" issues the Droid is having. Tell you what I'll share them all with you.

    Motorola Droid OTA Update Coming December 11th? | Android Phone Fans

    You'll notice with these issues there is a fix that is coming on 12/11 (or thereabouts). When are they planning on fixing the escape button and blackberry button issues I had on both of my Storms?

    Storm 2 is a great phone, but I'll just bet the OP would indeed be happier with a Droid.
    Totally addicted!!
    Droid 2.0
  11. bearkat38
    bearkat38's Avatar
    Guest
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    You almost make me want to run over to the verizon store and get one, but for one huge issue for me--the lack of Bluetooth voice dialing on all Android handsets (for the moment).
    That sucks for some, but not that big of a deal to me. That wasn't a feature that I used on my BB's anyway. This toy argument is just silly. I never understood it with the iPhone, and I don't understand it now. I'm willing to bet that the majority of BB users in here aren't the super-mega powered business users that they claim to be. For many, a BB is some sort of status symbol that makes them feel important. "I must get my email in two seconds, because five seconds is just too long!" Give me a break! I'm not married to any of these phones because guess what? Next year if I see something that appeals to me more, bye-bye Droid! This phone just works the way that I though my BB would work when I bought the Storm.
  12. Ultrafied's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,673 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkat38 View Post
    Here we go again! The Droid is called a "toy" simply because it works. they also consider the iPhone a "toy". My Droid does EVERYTHING that BB's do, only faster! No battery pulls (and yes, a program that simulates a battery pull is still a battery pull.), no uneven screens, no stiff bottom buttons, no memory issues, no begging for leaks, etc. Keyboard is NOT useless. Too heavy, really? My phone has NEVER froze, locked up, or any of that nonsense. And more efficient how? These lies are getting old people!
    So is your diatribe about the Droid. Yes, the S2 is more efficient then the Droid ... IMO. Yes, the Droids keyboard is useless .... IMO. Battery pulls .... I haven't had to do a battery in a long, long time. No memory issues, no stiff bottom buttons on my S2. Yes I have tried the Droid. No, it isn't for me. Yes, IMO, the Droid is more of a "toy".
    Your opinion is different. Doesn't make it the truth except to you. Someone comes here and ask the S2 forum a question. We will give our opinion, that's what the forum is all about.

    These lies are getting old people!
    Not lies to us. Plain fact. This is our opinion. Enjoy the Droid. We will enjoy the Storm.
    Mike
    First Storm - Nov. 23, 2008
    9530 - .328 / 9550 - .713 / 9630 .591 / iPhone iOS4
  13. bearkat38
    bearkat38's Avatar
    Guest
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrafied View Post
    So is your diatribe about the Droid. Yes, the S2 is more efficient then the Droid ... IMO. Yes, the Droids keyboard is useless .... IMO. Battery pulls .... I haven't had to do a battery in a long, long time. No memory issues, no stiff bottom buttons on my S2. Yes I have tried the Droid. No, it isn't for me. Yes, IMO, the Droid is more of a "toy".
    Your opinion is different. Doesn't make it the truth except to you. Someone comes here and ask the S2 forum a question. We will give our opinion, that's what the forum is all about.

    Not lies to us. Plain fact. This is our opinion. Enjoy the Droid. We will enjoy the Storm.
    What exactly makes it a toy? BTW...Speed equals efficiency, and the S2 isn't faster by ANY measurement!
  14. hookbill's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,916 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,948 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrafied View Post
    Not lies to us. Plain fact. This is our opinion. Enjoy the Droid. We will enjoy the Storm.
    I couldn't agree more. Why does it have to be a my phone is better then your phone thing? Enjoy the S2, I'll enjoy the Droid.
    Totally addicted!!
    Droid 2.0
  15. rainbowbrite812's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    I for the droid before I got the s2...I had to exchange 3 times in 8 days...I loved the phone, but liked many things about bkackberry that i decided to exchange for storm2. I think both are great phones, but if you're unhappy with your current switch!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  16. Ultrafied's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,671 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,673 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkat38 View Post
    What exactly makes it a toy? BTW...Speed equals efficiency, and the S2 isn't faster by ANY measurement!
    1 - IMO, it feels more suited to watching videos/games/music when playing with it. More keystrokes to provide email/messaging out of the box. Harder to setup email (except Gmail). No dedicated backup for a PC. This is what it felt like when I used it, tried to setup a few things, etc.
    2 - Faster is relevant. S2's email is faster (heck, it faster then my PC half the time). How much time is lost in making a call? Reading and responding to emails/messages? What is the speed difference? Applications? I saw no real difference in opening the stock apps on the Droid compared to the S2 ... except for the Browser. The Droid has a better Browser (but still not as good as Safari on the iPhone). Browsing is not that important IMO.
    So ... the Droid is faster then my S1 or S2 (on OS .328 and .320) by any measurement IMO! It's all relevant.
    Mike
    First Storm - Nov. 23, 2008
    9530 - .328 / 9550 - .713 / 9630 .591 / iPhone iOS4
  17. McNooberson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    376 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evan87 View Post
    I had the Storm1, then upgraded to the Droid, then returned it for the Storm2. The Droid is a fun toy, but I am always typing on my phone and the Storm2 is so much easier to type on and more efficient overall.
    That's exactly what I found from using it.

    The browser is absolutely incredible on the droid, as well as a nice selection of apps. The slide out keyboard is terrible, even after using it for three weeks. The portrait keyboard is cramped, leaving you with a virtual landscape keyboard that can't keep up with a fast typer such as myself.

    Email wise, if you are a businessman, the storm2 is hands down the best out of the three. BUT, if you have gmail, the droid will be just as good as the storm2.

    Also to consider, and this really was a turning point for returning the droid, I have my phone a vibrate almost all day. Having a phone on vibrate with the droid is like having it on silent. you cannot feel it in your pocket, and the setting cannot be changed.

    Unlike you, I am sold on Torch. I think RIM will get this right because they know browsing is the only downfall for the most part on every single phone of theres.
  18. Kepeli's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    398 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    So, is Karate better than Jiu Jitsu? Or is Boxing better than Wrestling? The boxer could knock the wrestler out, right? Or the Jiu Jitsu guy could submit the Karate guy, right? Or are the SAS better than the Navy Seals? Ok, not funny, at all, but take off the gloves and the pacifiers long enough to focus on the OPs question at hand. Looking at the situation, IMO, the OP needs to give more information as to what he is going to FULLY use his device for. From that, we can try and see which direction he should go. From his statement, I take that he is primarily using his device to browse the internet. If that is the PRIMARY use, then, yes, the Motorola Droid will be his best option. As far as the Web-kit browser for Blackberry, nothing is written in stone until that browser is released. Yes, they did acquire a web-kit based company, but that browser release could take x amount of time to realize. Anything could happen during that time, remember that. If the OPs situation is time sensitive, then at the moment, he needs to go with what technology is available per device to him at this point and time. As far as the debate on the phones go, my brother has an iPhone, and he runs his business, successfully I'll add, and lives by his iPhone. My friend uses a Motorola Droid and uses it for business and personal applications, and he swears by it. All that matters is that he meets his deadlines and continues to be productive. And I live and swear by my Curve. For my business and personal needs, it does what I need it to do, and I am used to it's platform. Now put the gloves back on and I'll grab the popcorn and a few laughs. Ok, I was just kidding about the popcorn and laughs, but it would be much more productive if we put our egos, and pride aside and actually post facts, to help people determine where they want/need to go. Maybe we should create an 'OCTAGON' or 'BOXING RING' Thread so owners from Blackberry, Motorola, Nokia, Apple, etc., can go and Duke it out! Just a thought! Cheers.
  19. Kepeli's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    398 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    I'll take my BB Curve **** out of this section as I'll probably be banned from it! Ciao!
  20. Traveling Guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default And another thing...................

    The droid does not sync with MS Outlook! That was a deal killer for me. The BB Desktop Manager just works so well too.
  21. bearkat38
    bearkat38's Avatar
    Guest
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling Guy View Post
    The droid does not sync with MS Outlook! That was a deal killer for me. The BB Desktop Manager just works so well too.
    I don't use MS Outlook.
  22. 1812dave's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    7,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,120 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bearkat38 View Post
    I don't use MS Outlook.

    Me either. I detest MS apps, except for Office 2003. Thunderbird/FF user here. Keep those dang Redmond apps away from me, other than my trusty old Office Suite. LOL!
    Dave - Moto Bionic
  23. nyc_rock's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,402 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,544 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    If you get alot of email and use your berry with a holster, I estimate that you will spend 15 hours a year more taking out your non blackberry device and checking email.
  24. Michelle1221's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    27 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Really it comes down to personal preference. Go to the store and play with the Droid and see. Both phones are good phones and have strengths and weaknesses depending on how you feel about the individual phone. I had the Droid for a couple days and it just was not the phone for me. What I miss about the Droid is the navigation and the browser.
  25. photoeditor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    113 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    The Droid in some parts of the country (e.g. Chicago) is having serious problems on voice reception. I have a trouble ticket on it. It's pounding on the battery on voice calls, and struggling with almost no signal.

    Assuming they can get this corrected, it will be easier to make a fair comparison.

    In general, I'd say that:

    If your priority is something that feels and works like a traditional phone, get the Blackberry
    If you want desktop sync, again, the BB.
    If you want the best possible organization on email, again, the BB
    If you need world phone functions, obviously the BB

    If you want cloud computing with contacts and calendar and completely painless syncing, the Droid
    If you are primarily using GMail, the Droid
    For better and cheaper apps ranging from navigation to transit information to barcode reading, the Droid
    For better choices of input (touch screen, D-Pad and physical keyboard) obviously the Droid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions