Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    PIN
    LiveProfile: LPPFHDTK
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Newest 9520 Official OS: v5.0.0.436 Vodafone UK

Currently only available via DM.

Report findings below and enjoy!
    Last edited by KBV1; 01-12-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    BBM Pin: 7463E0C3

Gamertag: MP4 KB
    CrackBerry User

Thanks for the heads up,

Downloading it now
    CrackBerry Master

Last edited by shinkodachi; 01-19-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Will this be fine for the 9550? And if I'm already running the 436 hybrid is it worth the change?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

Well I have just installed it (I haven't installed any leaks on my Storm2 - I stick to the official DM updates) and I have performed 4 battery pulls since installing and every time it comes back on the home screen it says I have two unread messages, but I have already read those messages and no matter how many times I tell it that I have read them, whenever I do a bettery pull it still shows that I have two uread messages.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hmmm guess I have some things to think about......

CrackBerry Newbie

I don't post too often on here, But I installed the new one tonite. I had the unofficial 436 on my Storm-2 9520. It had alot of problems with the bottom 4 keys sticking. So far i have not noticed this problem. I have had no email or SMS problems. Tomorrow is yet to come and we will have to see how it works after a days use
    Last edited by kts195; 01-12-2010 at 11:17 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    PIN
    20CD6645

This is also now available for Vodafone Ireland. I haven't noticed any of the issues on the keys sticking. The first thing I looked for was the key indicator in options and it's there.

Generally finding it to be snappy and without any problems..... so far
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Well I certainly haven't had the screen lock up, but then it only happens fairly occasionally anyway so it's early days. Generally I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance so far; the keyboard orientation still seems to have a bit of a delay despite other people claiming it's improved in this version. There's a bigger halo around letters you are hovering over which is nice, and the pop-up letters are now in (although they're fairly small and useless as far as I'm concerned).

Overall...meh. Hopefully it sorts out the calling issues that (on Vodafone UK at least) seem to have been plaguing us storm 2 owners. Time will tell.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Hi All
    How long does the upgrade take? Mine's stage on 6 of 6 and hasn't moved the progress bar past half way in an hour... What should I do?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,225 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me :)

Is this the same as the leaked 436? I've had that installed for a few weeks, and I love it. Battery life is ... meh.... but the OS is solid No reboots, no lock ups, keyboard is OK. Sometimes I get the twirly-newly-updated hour glass. But very rarely.
    CrackBerry User

My post on the UK Vodafone Forum .... with some updates added!!

Hello,

I downloaded and installed this version last night and it all went very smoothly through the DM.

My branding number is 1.01.120.297n. (Update .. they seem to vary from phone to phone)

When looking round after downloading it it seems there is a wifi download option for updates available on the phone. This may have already been there but I'd not noticed it before.

The only real issues I had were with apps.

Storm(berry)slider and simple weather (from the same developer) are now integrated and it took me a minute or two to find out how to access the combined options menu. After a reboot Stormslider needs to be kickstarted ... enter the menu and exit it for it to work properly. I have just downloaded 5.0.3 which is an update to the 5.0.1 that I have so that may fix it. (Update. 5.0.3 downloads 5.0.1. This site is chasing it up)

QuickLaunch had lost all its settings so I had to add them back in.

There is obviously some kind of link now with contacts/facebook. I'm ok with that.

Google maps works fine.

e-Office data works fine but it had returned to default settings for data alarms.

Dictionary/thesaurus still works fine and seemingly unaffected by the upgrade.

Other observations.

I like the extra large 'halo' that now appears when you type in texts etc. Obviously we aren't going to get the iPhone lookalike popup letters that seems to now be available on the 9550. (Update. We've got them. I missed it!!)

The update re-organised my home screen. Grrr.

I don't seem to be able to find how to have a folder on my homescreen that receives my hotmail - I had one before the upgrade. Yes, I do have one that says Messages (that has always been available) and when new messages come in they do show on there so it's no drama. (Update. Something to do with 'filters'. I'm going to look later today)

Battery life? Too early to say.

I've not experienced the call dropout issue so I hope it doesn't start for me on this upgrade. As yet I've only had mail and texts since the upgrade and no phone calls to put it to the test.

I've now registered with 'Docs to Go' as per another topic. I'll see what offers are forthcoming.

One thing I'd like to do is have the home screen show 4 rows of icons. Under options>advanced options>accessibility there is an option to set the grid layout as 4x4. I have it set to this but obviously somewhere (and I've not found where) you have to say to use accessibility. Any ideas anybody??
    (Update. Still need to know how to activate this accessibility option to give me the 4x4 grid)

And while I'm at it ... what exactly are 'themes' about?? I just don't get them at all. I use the default one (a new one on the upgrade - Precision I think its called). Why would I want to change it? What are the benefits of using/modifying themes? Apols for being such a thicko on this!! (Update. I now know more about themes! Tks VF forum guys.)

That's it for now. Long live Storm2!!

Update as somebody on here has asked. My update/install/reboot took about 30-40 minutes from start to finish. That was over a fastish wifi link.

Phil
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by pac_berry View Post

I like the extra large 'halo' that now appears when you type in texts etc. Obviously we aren't going to get the iPhone lookalike popup letters that seems to now be available on the 9550. (Update. We've got them. I missed it!!)

Phil
    Not sure if this is what your after
    Try

Options>Screen/keyboard>Show key indicator
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated
    CrackBerry User

Hi Mrcapo,

Yup, ok. Got that tks. Phil
    CrackBerry Abuser

downloading it now...guess im going to take the plung for the unlocked att ppl
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MistaBaloo View Post
    downloading it now...guess im going to take the plung for the unlocked att ppl
    You do realise this is for 9520? and not 9550?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yes but I have seen other pop with 9550 do it and since I am running sty wilgich is gsm why wouldn'tnit work?

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    PIN
    LiveProfile: LPPFHDTK
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Well i charged my phone last night and i have used it today the same as i normally do and the battery has gone down half a bar which is brilliant!!! The OS seems solid at the moment! WIFI works no problem also... stays white So far all is brilliant!

seems to me this is different to the leak of .436
    BBM Pin: 7463E0C3

Gamertag: MP4 KB
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

excellent

I will get this downloaded
    OS 5.0.0.436 > Seanren 78 95xx V.6.1 Hybrid
    BerrySlider | ShakeItUp | AppClock | AppLock | MeterBerry | BerryBuzz 2.1 | QuickLaunch | STORM Today Plus | SpaceTravel | Whippoh | Shazam | Flixster | Tube Map | Kitco | Bloomberg | WeatherEye | BerryJoose | Wrath| Flightpath | Memory Checker | Labyrinth | Road Mania
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts

lovely - good stuff
    "I'm waiting for the night to fall
    I know that it will save us all
    When everything's dark
    Keeps us from the stark reality"
    MLG
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Is it safe to assume that since the leak was 5.0.0.436 and the official release is the same that there is no difference? Surely a different number would be used had anything changed. I ask the question as when I installed the leak I had to re-register all my 3rd party apps - a real PITA
    CrackBerry Abuser

i have 1 problem though.

I sync my calendar with outlook. And before all was fine.

But now, my blackberry has all appointments 5x. 1 for each emailadress i use on my bb. I dident have this before.

Where can i select the option to sync the calendar for just 1 emailadress on my bb ?
    CrackBerry User

After using the leaked 5.0.0.436 OS for some time, I am now using the official OS.
    From what I can tell after a day of use is that it does differ from the leaked version.
    The bug where the BB menu would pop up when you go to reply to a sms has now disappeared.
    Overall a massive improvement from the last official OS and also a generally more finished version over the 5.0.0.436 leak.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi all, I have tried downloading the os for s2 through DM but it freezes at module 288 of 383
    Can someone please advise

Ian
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,225 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me :)

Sometimes that happens. No worries. Cancel. Unplug your BLACKBERRY and then try again. I've had it happen to me on more than one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by ianmy View Post
    Hi all, I have tried downloading the os for s2 through DM but it freezes at module 288 of 383
    Can someone please advise

Ian
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast