CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default My Storm2 Has Gone WAYYY Downhill - Help!

OK, so I've had my phone for almost two months now. At first, it worked great - it was fast, worked smoothly- just the battery didn't last long (I'd be at around 15% by the end of the day).
    Well, lately, it basically just sucks. Here are all of my problems:
    1. I lose almost all of my battery life during school, and I'm not even using the phone at school! I used to NEVER get down to where the battery sign turns red!
    2. The phone is very very slow. About half of what it used to be.
    3. It freezes at least once every 3 minutes for no reason
    4. This is more related to the provider than the phone itself, but I'm finding that I hardly ever get 3G service. I used to almost always be in 3G.

I have no idea what could've caused this. Do you think it's because I only have 20 MB of free space for apps left?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

most common solution would be to close out all running apps.
    though you may not realize it, there are probably some apps that are running in the background.
    To find out, hold down the blackberry button. There are 6 standard apps that are always on the menu (messages, sms, browser, phone, home, and BBM).
    Close out of all the others. use the menu>close approach rather than just hitting the "back" button.
    Charge your phone up and it should work just fine.
    Sell me almost any working blackberry, iphone, or other smartphone. Hit me up on Twitter @McNooberson if you wanna make a deal.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FCF5FF

After closing out the programs. Clear your browser cache and cookies. Then do a battery pull and see if that helps
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,605 Global Posts

You only have 20 Megs left on a 9550??? Wow...I think that could definitely have something to do with it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

another thing to do would be turning your phone off during school. If you aren't using it, it shouldn't even be on!! The reason being is because the school might have a lot of interference with the outside world (like mine). With all this interference, a signal might not get through to the phone. The battery can drain in an hour if it is always searching for a network.

Check the wifi and bluetooth also. Just trying to cover all the major battery drainers.
    Sell me almost any working blackberry, iphone, or other smartphone. Hit me up on Twitter @McNooberson if you wanna make a deal.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FCF5FF

Oh crap I didn't catch that last line haha. Yeah what all do you have installed?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

20megs of free space could be the culprit on that one...wow lol
    CrackBerry Master

I have over 40 apps and 12 themes installed on my S2 and I still have over 95 Megs. How many apps do you have installed? Are you saving media files(pictures, music, etc) to your SD card or to device memory?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,816 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GREEKxGAL View Post
    OK, so I've had my phone for almost two months now. At first, it worked great - it was fast, worked smoothly- just the battery didn't last long (I'd be at around 15% by the end of the day).
    Well, lately, it basically just sucks. Here are all of my problems:
    1. I lose almost all of my battery life during school, and I'm not even using the phone at school! I used to NEVER get down to where the battery sign turns red!
    2. The phone is very very slow. About half of what it used to be.
    3. It freezes at least once every 3 minutes for no reason
    4. This is more related to the provider than the phone itself, but I'm finding that I hardly ever get 3G service. I used to almost always be in 3G.

I have no idea what could've caused this. Do you think it's because I only have 20 MB of free space for apps left?
    What did you do in the past 2 weeks...search for and install every free app that you could find? I'm guessing you're a college student. I'm not trying to sound insulting, but if so, you would probably be happier with something more media oriented device like the Droid. You could probably sell it on ebay and get one. BB's work fine with a lot of stuff installed, but it sounds like you may have taken it too far. Also, if you've never done a battery pull, do that first, as it may solve all your problems.
    Semper Fi
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    331990A0

What he said... I have 106MB left. I was much happier with the Storm 2 than the S1 simply because it has MUCH more space for apps. I was always low on memory for the S1, since the S2 I have tons of space left over.

I do believe that a battery pull would work very well. Also, try and uninstall any useless or unneeded apps. That will surely bog it down.

msblueline
    msblueline: "ms" Does not stand for Ms., Miss., or Mrs. It stands for Mississippi

www.twitter.com/msblueline
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,427 Global Posts

What OS are you running? 20mb left??? Something is wrong. Have you done a battery pull? Make sure to change your mobile network from global to 1XEV.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Don't forget the good 'ol dialing *228, option 2 to update your roaming profile.

That might help a little bit with the battery life.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    PIN
    31068f9a

Do you get good reception at school? Battery will drain if its constantly trying to get better signals.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    PIN
    - pm for pin! -

Are you using a theme?

I have totally given up on themes, would get massive memory leaks with everyone that I tried.

8330 5.0/.230 lyricidal hybrid --> Storm 9550 .428 --> 8530 .1000 -- > [Soon Droid Pro..]
    CrackBerry Genius

If I were you I would just back up my phone contacts and do a wipe of the handset and start all over again.
    HTC EVO
    Epic
    Verizon IPhone4
    CrackBerry Master

I wonder where the OP is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Probably in class now
    CrackBerry Abuser

gonna go with

a) Troll
    b) Has a 9530

If neither of the two apply:

a) for heavens sakes close your applications after you use them
    b) *228 option 2 to update roaming, it helps sometimes. Made a big diff for me at work a month ago
    c) do a battery pull, get quickpull and have it reset yout phone in the middle of the night.
    BlackBerry Storm 9550 OS 5.0.0.428
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Next time you're down to 20 MB, hold the BB Menu button and all your open programs will appear...I'm willing to bet you're running several different apps at the same time and that you're hitting the red end button to close them out vs the back button.

Hitting the end button simply moves them to the background and they continue to run.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Try a BB magnetic holster too.
    7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  

Alright, so I deleted Visual Voice Mail cuz I don't use it, and for some reason that cleared me up from having only 22 MB of free app space to 90 MB! I really don't understand that. My phone is already running a tad bit faster.
    I had my phone off all day today at school and the battery was fine. Here are some answers to your questions/statements.

- I never have any apps running in the background, I do completely close out
    - I don't have ANY media on my phone at all, so my SD card is empty
    - Yes, I am using the Imaging Theme
    - Only people with Verizon seem to get any coverage on campus, so I have a bit
    - I have both a silicon case AND a magnetic holster that I put my bberry in
    - The third party apps I have that didn't come with the phone are: Bible, Google, iheartradio, Movies, Pandora, Slacker Radio, Snaptu, TIME Mobile, UberTwitter, Viigo for Blackberry, WorldMate Live.

oh yeah, and I am most certainly not using a 9530, I know for a fact it's a 9550.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,004 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FCF5FF

VVM may have been saving your VM data to your phone. If you reinstall that, check that it saves the data to your SD card. That's probably why you got so much mem back after deleting it