Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. Ricktye's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Lowest Power Draw, StormSlider, PatternLock or UltimateLock?

    I have tried all 3. For maturity you can't beat StormSlider, for simplicity PatternLock is the winner and, as admitted by the developer, UltimateLock has a ways to go as it is a work in progress.

    As we know, battery life on the Storm 2 leaves a lot to be desired and my question then is which of these 3 has the least draw on your battery? Developers, feel free to jump in here with your respective thoughts...........

    R...
  2. dilipc's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    840 Posts
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    #2  

    Thumbs up

    Good thread. I'll be interested in any inputs on this.
    MTNL Bold 9780
    Firmware: 6.0.0.546
  3. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,837 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #3  

    Default

    battery is unaffected by either SS or UL...no patternlock. if you have problems with the battery it is something specfic with your phone as many dont have any issues at all
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  4. dilipc's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    840 Posts
    Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    battery is unaffected by either SS or UL...no patternlock. if you have problems with the battery it is something specfic with your phone as many dont have any issues at all
    I wish this were true....
    MTNL Bold 9780
    Firmware: 6.0.0.546
  5. shapethelola's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    PIN
    2562F594
    #5  

    Default

    I purchased both UL and SS and I had a big battery drain on UL thats why Im now using SS
  6. Ricktye's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    I'm not techy enough to know all the in and outs, but I would think that any program that is always running (even in the background as these are) will be a constant drain on a battery.... My original qustion remains, which one draws more?

    R...

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    battery is unaffected by either SS or UL...no patternlock. if you have problems with the battery it is something specfic with your phone as many dont have any issues at all
  7. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,837 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #7  

    Default

    ok, if you want to be technical about then yes they USE battery. DRAIN is not the same as USE though. And my original answer remains the same. Neither app uses more than the other by a marginal amount.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  8. kcpaynev1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,422 Posts
    PIN
    just ask
    #8  

    Default

    never had any battery drain with any of them
  9. Ricktye's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

    Default

    No, I don't think they "drain" either, but they will use some power. Not 5-10% an hour, likely not even 0.5%/hour, but some for sure. Likely more if you have various option, such as weather set?

    My original question wasn't that these applications will "kill" you battery, but rather which one is more battery friendly? I know that for the most part they use very little power........

    R...

    Quote Originally Posted by kcpaynev1 View Post
    never had any battery drain with any of them
  10. kcpaynev1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,422 Posts
    PIN
    just ask
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
    No, I don't think they "drain" either, but they will use some power. Not 5-10% an hour, likely not even 0.5%/hour, but some for sure. Likely more if you have various option, such as weather set?

    My original question wasn't that these applications will "kill" you battery, but rather which one is more battery friendly? I know that for the most part they use very little power........

    R...
    ok, as for options not many of the with any app will drain the battery faster. SS has a built in weather option if you choose to use it that will drain your battery a little more due to the weather updating. UL uses berryweather as its weather option but having that option enabled will not drain your battery that much but berryweather being installed will drain your battery a little as well. UL also has a feature to show names of emails and text messages and having that feature enabled will drain your battery a little faster as well.

    other than those options there arnt really any combination or any other options that will really drain your battery more than the other.
  11. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,837 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #11  

    Default

    ok

    Neither app uses more than the other by a marginal amount.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  12. meyer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    ok, if you want to be technical about then yes they USE battery. DRAIN is not the same as USE though. And my original answer remains the same. Neither app uses more than the other by a marginal amount.
    From the get go with SS on my phone, my battery was terrible. And I would use the word drain. I just did a two week experiment. Last week, I used SS and used my phone like normal. I averaged between 6.8%-10.6% "drain" and my phone was usually dead by the evening/late evening. This week I deleted SS from my phone and was averaging between 1.4%-2.8% with about the same amount of use and I was still sitting around 60% at days end. Maybe it varies phone to phone but SS drains the sh!t outta the battery.
    Last edited by meyer; 03-14-2010 at 04:52 PM.
    05 GSXR 1000
  13. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,837 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #13  

    Default

    it varies phone to phone since everyone has several combos of apps. I have google voice, berryweather (1 hour refresh), smrtguard, BBlight, smart wifi, Wallpaper shuffle (15 minutes change), Beejive and Ultimate lock all running in the background and this is what my usage looks like from the last charge



    Average discharge is 1.5% hour. I am on the BB for about 5-7 hours a day (according to i love my BB app) with BBM, email, SMS and some internet and phone calls too. You can see the hour i was on the phone for about 1 hour straight, it took 5% of my battery that hour. I have used them with the settings to start after 5 minutes of no activity on the phone

    SS results are the same, i have used that since the beginning and have been using UL since it was released.

    The point I guess is that i have all those apps and over 110 installed on the phone and dont have 'drain' using either app. If you do have battery drain you need to look at what apps you have installed and other settings on the phone. Are you BES and have extra security that is perhaps fighting the other lock apps. Do you have the BB lock with a passcode and do you have SS or UL to have a password too. There is a good chance something is fighting each other causing the issues.
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-14-2010 at 05:11 PM.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  14. Mr. Orange 645's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,858 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,967 Global Posts
    PIN
    Only my hairdresser knows for sure!
    #14  

    Default

    Matt, I know your on .451. Are you using the OEM 1400mah battery or an extended battery?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
  15. Ricktye's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    435 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default

    Ok this is a similar situation that caused me to start this thread. I removed PatternLock and reinstalled StormSlider yesterday morning. I usually average about -1.7%/hour battery drain. After installing SS yesterday my battery seemed to be going down pretty quick but I didn't think much of it until I checked the drain with Meterberry last night and it showed average discharge of -15%/hour. Yikes, I have never been that high! Now I know it wasn't SS causing this rapid discharge per se, but it was certainly reacting with something to cause it! I remeoved it and reinstalled PatternLock and all is good again.......


    So I got to thinking, what seems to cause the lowest draw on phones, and started the thread. Interesting to see the differences from phone to phone that we're seeing in the replies......... The one variable that seems to cause the most grief for people is SS, but as I mentioned, I don't think it is the actual culprit, but rather it's reaction with ??some?? other progam (s.)

    R...


    Quote Originally Posted by meyer View Post
    From the get go with SS on my phone, my battery was terrible. And I would use the word drain. I just did a two week experiment. Last week, I used SS and used my phone like normal. I averaged between 6.8%-10.6% "drain" and my phone was usually dead by the evening/late evening. This week I deleted SS from my phone and was averaging between 1.4%-2.8% with about the same amount of use and I was still sitting around 60% at days end. Maybe it varies phone to phone but SS drains the sh!t outta the battery.
  16. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,837 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange 645 View Post
    Matt, I know your on .451. Are you using the OEM 1400mah battery or an extended battery?

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    true i have a 1600 mah battery in there. It really doesnt last much longer though, maybe 2 hours sometimes 3 hours longer than the stock size. I had one for the storm 1 and it didnt gain much. You could switch back to the OE battery and i couldnt tell which battery i had, the phone would maybe last 18-20 hours on either.

    I really only bought a new 1600 mah for the S2 because i though the one i had for my S1 was bad. It wasnt, they just dont really extend the life a great deal like i had hoped.

    on a 1400 mah battery the results would change to ~1.8% for those results i posted, so not enough to sit there and argue over.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  17. meyer's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Rick,
    I only have like 6 apps on my phone so I'm not sure what would be causing that huge drop like that. Even when the phone sits idle the drop in battery is huge (with SS). Like from my last post to this one, it went down from 90% to 89%. If SS was on, it would of dropped like 5-7% minimum. I've seen drops up towards 13-15% at times; **** I even seen 65.5% at one time! HA! Anyways, for now, SS is just chilling in my app store as I like my not having to recharge my phone around lunch time everyday.
    05 GSXR 1000
  18. RideMadone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    121 Posts
    #18  

    Default

    This is completely anecdotal but Storm Slider causes my phone to go dead very quickly. Take it off, battery drain is normal. Put is on, battery dead in less than one day. Once again I know people who have no problem with this but based on the treads I have read, many people do.
    I love my Storm 2 so don't try to tell me I don't.
  19. awledbetter's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    292 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RideMadone View Post
    This is completely anecdotal but Storm Slider causes my phone to go dead very quickly. Take it off, battery drain is normal. Put is on, battery dead in less than one day. Once again I know people who have no problem with this but based on the treads I have read, many people do.
    ...................
  20. Mr. Orange 645's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,858 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,967 Global Posts
    PIN
    Only my hairdresser knows for sure!
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    true i have a 1600 mah battery in there. It really doesnt last much longer though, maybe 2 hours sometimes 3 hours longer than the stock size. I had one for the storm 1 and it didnt gain much. You could switch back to the OE battery and i couldnt tell which battery i had, the phone would maybe last 18-20 hours on either.

    I really only bought a new 1600 mah for the S2 because i though the one i had for my S1 was bad. It wasnt, they just dont really extend the life a great deal like i had hoped.

    on a 1400 mah battery the results would change to ~1.8% for those results i posted, so not enough to sit there and argue over.
    I was just wondering, because I've never seen battery life like that. Not with .320, .428, .451, or any of they hybrids you hate so much (Though Tanks Act2 was pretty close to that). Could be an issue with my battery, could also be a 1600mah would allow me the same battery life as you. I might just invest in one to see any difference.

    Thanks.
    Romans 1:16 - I'm not ashamed, are you?

  21. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,837 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #21  

    Default

    like i said its only 2 maybe 3 hours extra. But i have been able to do that on 428 and 451 both pretty consistent.

    like i said there is no need to mess with hybrids, there is nothing 'broken' that the hybrids fix right now. Battery life can be great. I check the difference between 497 and 451. out of the 550ish files only 26 were changed. The rest were identical byte for byte matches or completely irrelevant to the OS function (password keeper or default theme, etc). At one time hybrids were great cause they fixed things. Now they have very little changes that impact the function. they might 'feel' faster and i suppose some people might get better battery life, but i am guessing most doing even run straight 451 for a week anyway so they dont know the difference.

    Its $40 for the extended battery, if yo got the money it might be worth a try to see how much longer you get. Otherwise its alot to try and still might not make it thru the day, depending on use.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat

Posting Permissions