Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,517 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Face Detection????

Mine doesn't seem to be working. I thought this was a built in feature of the Storm 2. Ideas?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I posted the same question yesterday. I don't think it is working either. One guy said it just locks the screen but mine doesn't do that either. When I think of this it should turn the screen off when close to your face and then turn back on automatically when not. Mine does nothing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,141 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FBCE4E

That's weird, mine does. When I'm on the phone and it's near my face, the screen blacks out immediately. When I pull it away, it comes back on.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

It turns off the click functionality when close to your face and goes dark. You have to click it to turn it back on though. You can't click with your face though which is the whole point or at least you shouldn't be able to!

CrackBerry Addict

Test it by placing a cloth over your finger then try to operate the touch screen. It should be locked and unable to move. Then hold it up to your face and try to click it with your cheek. In the past that would cause problems for Storm 1 users, on the Storm 2 the screen should lock
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    309A453F

ummm its been turning off on my storm and i have the storm 1. no lie! i will check right now. yes it has it. must be in the new v5.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

My S2 works
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts

My S2 doesnt detect the face either. Is there an option for this somewhere?
    From BlackBerry to Android and Back To BlackBerry. Thank you to the Bold 9930, which also brought me back on Verizon!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

maybe defective storm2? Mine works fine. The first thing i had to do was make a call on it to activate the phone, i had no troubles whatsoever, and still dont.
    CrackBerry User

Mine goes black when it touches my face but as soon as I move it away just a bit it comes back on.
    I love my bold .167-.282-.297 blacked out! BUT ATT SUCKS!!!! Now a HAPPY Storm2 9550 user!!!
    CrackBerry User

My storm two does the face detection just fine. That's weird that it doesn't for some of u. When I put it to my face the screen locks up completly and goes black. When I take it off it goes back to normal.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    247 Global Posts

Doesn't work for me either. I just use Stormlock...works great

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,171 Global Posts
    PIN

My just goes black when the call connects hahaha.
    AisforAustin:"You see me, you see my Blackberry - I don't go no where without it."
    Bold 9650 and HTC Droid Incredible //  MacBook User. // 05 Scion BSP tC.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    572 Global Posts

So here is something weird when I wear my hat the face detection doesn't work but without it works fine lol
    Check out my reviews
    Decalgirl skins http://forums.crackberry.com/f120/de...review-417456/
    MotoRokR S9-HD Bluetooth headphoneshttp://forums.crackberry.com/f120/mo...review-405283/
    BeNexus theme by AHaz and JMal Designshttp://forums.crackberry.com/f121/be...review-403910/
    Follow me on twitter! @joryoung
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts

Works for me. Screen dims, but locks. Does not turn all the way off.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Mine works fine. I noticed it lights up when I take the phone away so I can hang up.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts

I haven't actually out mine close enough to my face yet to rest this out.......BUT I have noticed thsg the screen becomes noticeably stiffer when you have an active call. @ least this has been my experience.

CrackBerry User

I thought mine didn't work, and my wife has hung up on countless calls. I wish there were a way to adjust the sensitivity.

I'm guessing the sensor is in the speaker. When I *really* press it against my ear, the screen cuts off. Maybe for the first few days it's in a 'learning' mode. Now I'm just too hopeful...predictive text is one thing, software that learns the normal pressure you apply to your ear during a conversation is another (-:

If yours works, post up a picture of your ear. I'd guess those with flatter ears have better luck.

Totally joking about posting ear pics btw.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,517 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

Mine actually does work. I tested it several times and the screen won't click.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 6014 View Post
    I thought mine didn't work, and my wife has hung up on countless calls. I wish there were a way to adjust the sensitivity.

I'm guessing the sensor is in the speaker. When I *really* press it against my ear, the screen cuts off. Maybe for the first few days it's in a 'learning' mode. Now I'm just too hopeful...predictive text is one thing, software that learns the normal pressure you apply to your ear during a conversation is another (-:

If yours works, post up a picture of your ear. I'd guess those with flatter ears have better luck.

Totally joking about posting ear pics btw.
    I agree with you. I had to push the phone on my face to see it actually turn black the screen and go stiff. But I dont normally push the phone against my head that hard hahah. No biggie though lol
    From BlackBerry to Android and Back To BlackBerry. Thank you to the Bold 9930, which also brought me back on Verizon!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Works on my S1 with the new OS. I thought it worked by light sensor (in the LED) and accelerometer, but was told that it is a combination of phone being on a call and the amount of surface area of the screen that is making contact with skin. In other words, in order for the screen to trigger the lock, you have to be on a call and the screen has to be in contact with your face. Nothing to do with your speaker/ear (unless you have huge ears of course).

I don't think there is a new piece of "proximity sensing" hardware in the S2 since my S1 has it - it's all software generated. As a test, connect a call and lay your hand (without clicking) on the screen.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    G PONG

I've tried to test this on my phone and it never dims and the screen stays the same when I'm on a call. The good news is that since the click is stiffer its a little harder to press the screen with my face, lol
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

This actually does work on my phone. I didn't have the phone close enough to my face before. Screen turns of and on automatically now. If you want a good test make a call then put your hand over the entire phone front. You will see it turn off and back on when you lift your hand off.

CrackBerry Master

My S1 sreen doesn't lock but it does turn back on when I pull it away from my face on a phone call

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts

Doesnt happen with my storm 2.. I put it on my cheek. I pressed it on my cheek. The screen stayed on!! Ugh!!! and when i click voice activation it say " unable to allocate memory".. i think mine if defected!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast