Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,656 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Even Surepress is getting annoying...

Well, when I first got the S2, I was really excited about the upgraded surepress... I loved the innovative idea.

But... having my S2 over a year now, surepress is just getting plain annoying. My screen double clicks ... a lot, it freezes up (not able to click) at times, and it really doesn't increase my precision. I find myself annoyed at having to click to type (its a lot more finger-tiring than just tapping), and I honestly type quicker and at times more accurately on my iPod Touch 4th gen, or with my mom's Droid2.

A lot of people are saying that they are upset that the Monaco will not have surepress, but I for one love the idea... a nice 3.7" screen with the 'updated' OS6.1 virtual keyboard just sounds perfect to me! I really can't wait for the Monaco!

Who else feels the same way... or completely disagrees with me?
    ~SaMaster14
    CrackBerry Genius

Depends on now well it works without SP. For me SP works great 99% of the time, and it's effortless. I came from a physical keyboard BB and I'm not entirely sold on a no-feedback touchscreen, vibration or click sound is not what I want. Droid/Droid 2 or similar landscape slider would be my preferred form factor as it has a physical keyboard and lots of screen real estate not being taken up by the keyboard - I use my S2 in landscape when typing. But it all boils down to how well everything works together; if it gets things done without frustration (or keeps it to a minimum) I can live without SurePress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

I personally prefer the feedback of a "click" screen. I previously had a touch screen device, and if you made a "touch" in error the button was executed. If you attempted to scroll and didn't swipe quickly enough, the button is executed. I feel with surepress you really need to initiate the press before your selection is initiated.

While the software may be a limitation of the S2, I don't believe the surepress technology is the culprit. During typing, I type faster than the keyboard can keep up with and it's not because of surerpress, it's due to the software unable to process that quickly. I'm on my 3rd version of software. I feel the first version (.320) was superior in typing technology. Subsequent updates are very laggy. However there are other benefits to the latest software, so I deal with laggy sms/bbm typing.
    Always something new to learn with these things
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,129 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
    Well, when I first got the S2, I was really excited about the upgraded surepress... I loved the innovative idea.

But... having my S2 over a year now, surepress is just getting plain annoying. My screen double clicks ... a lot, it freezes up (not able to click) at times, and it really doesn't increase my precision. I find myself annoyed at having to click to type (its a lot more finger-tiring than just tapping), and I honestly type quicker and at times more accurately on my iPod Touch 4th gen, or with my mom's Droid2.

A lot of people are saying that they are upset that the Monaco will not have surepress, but I for one love the idea... a nice 3.7" screen with the 'updated' OS6.1 virtual keyboard just sounds perfect to me! I really can't wait for the Monaco!

I hear what you are saying about the issues you are having but I personally DESPISE typing on my touch. Especially when in an app that doesn't have autocorrect. That's one of the reasons I would never get an iPhone. However, despite my liking SurePress, there is a 98% chance I'll be sporting a Bionic in the next few months. The larger screen will make it easier for my large hands to press the correct keys.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Yup. We become friends, maybe we can trade?

I have the exact same S2 from Verizon. All I can say is, sorry for your luck, but my Storm2 is behaving awesome. No problems using SP at all.

I'm actually disappointed that the Monaco will only contain 1g of Flash memory.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts

I couldn't stand SP on my storm either OP. Hammering out long emails having to constantly depress the "button" was way more work than it needed to be. I see the following posts having valid points, sure. I may still have a BB touch screen had it been "touch only."
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,656 Global Posts
    PIN
    ask
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Thanks for the input everyone!

I definitely see the validity in the points that many of the Surepress defenders are saying... it probably is my phone's software that is causing the problem (making it hard to click, the double clicks, and the screen freezing up)... but as johnly said, typing a lot gets tiring with the surepress screen.

Also, it could be possible that I am more accurate on my S2 than my Ipod Touch... but the auto-correction feature on my touch is MUCH better than my S2.

And I type in portrait... i'm just not a fan of landscape typing for some reason, thats why I would never get a landscape slider phone...
    ~SaMaster14
    CrackBerry Abuser

Sure type + sure press is unbeatable in my opinion. I wouldn't mind having the option to turn it on and off but I have zero complaints about it.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    PIN

i love my sure press and could not live with out it
    Posted from my HTC thunderbolt
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    could not live with out it
    Damn. You'll be carrying that S2 for a long time!

Global Posts
    10,129 Global Posts

Thanks for the input everyone!

I definitely see the validity in the points that many of the Surepress defenders are saying... it probably is my phone's software that is causing the problem (making it hard to click, the double clicks, and the screen freezing up)... but as johnly said, typing a lot gets tiring with the surepress screen.

Also, it could be possible that I am more accurate on my S2 than my Ipod Touch... but the auto-correction feature on my touch is MUCH better than my S2.

And I type in portrait... i'm just not a fan of landscape typing for some reason, thats why I would never get a landscape slider phone...
    I agree that the auto correct on the touch is better, but like I alluded to earlier, it doesn't work on every app. Try texting someone on the Touch in an app without auto correct and you'll discover in moments, how annoying that portrait KB is.
    Dave - Moto Bionic

Global Posts
    10,129 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 67Tucker View Post
    Damn. You'll be carrying that S2 for a long time!

Does that bother you??
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
    Does that bother you??
    Absolutely not! Just pointing out that Surepress is being fitted (as we speak) for a display in the Smithsonian.

Global Posts
    10,129 Global Posts

Absolutely not! Just pointing out that Surepress is being fitted (as we speak) for a display in the Smithsonian.
    Well then, some day it will be worth more than what he paid for it
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,805 Global Posts
    PIN
    What's that?

I only experience the double clicking and it's very rare. I find it usually happens if the phone is sitting on a table and I try to push the screen, or if I'm in bed and holding the phone so the screen is facing downward. But it's still very rare. I did have the locking up problem for the short time I was on one of the early OS's (I think 617 or whatever it was).

All in all I'm very happy with SurePress and the two or three times a week I get multiple clicks doesn't upset me. Sorry yours isn't working as well.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    6,604 Global Posts

Unforturnately, after a year on my S2, I finding it a bit of a chore to type on SP.
    So I am looking forward to the Monaco. But September? Yikes.

Good Luck

iPhone 4S
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi
    Former Storm2 & Palm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts

If it really didn't bother you, you wouldn't have included a smiley in your last post, which expresses annoyance.

Global Posts
    10,129 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Culex316 View Post
    If it really didn't bother you, you wouldn't have included a smiley in your last post, which expresses annoyance.
    He is a " " kinda guy; hence the liberal use of that smilie.
    Dave - Moto Bionic
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    PIN
    personal id number, what do i got a barcode on my neck

i admit it is kind of nice when using opera mini the silence of no clicks, but its just another touch screen device with out the click . and without the click then you may as well have the torch with a physical keyboard

you guys dont use the lightning key board?
    CrackBerry Genius

I like my S2 so much I FINALLY dressed it! LOL. Have had the S1 and S2 and always had carried them naked (THEM not ME, ...umm well around the house......) but finally broke down and got the OtterBox commuter case for my S2.

I'm liking it. Adds some bulk but not much.

I really like surepress, but if(when) it goes away and I get another device, I'll just have to adapt, the same as I did when I first went to the Storm series.
    Taking the world by Storm(2)!
    Unlocked 9550
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,503 Global Posts

Surepress kept me hoping for a new storm for a long time.
    I couldn't wait any longer. I picked up the DX a couple of weeks ago.

I had no idea how much suretype slowed down my typing. I also had no idea how tiring it was to my thumbs.