Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default An eReader that works???

Have a 9550 running 5.0.0.1015 on Verizon.

I am looking for an eReader to install that actually works. I have a stash of books already (EPUB) and I am looking for something that will allow me to read what I already have. I do not need to connect to an ebookstore to download anything.

I have tried the Kindle app...but it appears to not let me read anything offline. I tried the Barnes & Noble app but it never finds the books (converted to .PDB)
    I tried to install Mobi but the only app that appears for the Storm is beta and never installs on my device. Basically says the software will not work on it.

Is there anyone out there that can give some directions? At this time I am holding a 10lb sledgehammer over the phone and screaming at it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I use mobiPocket. Are you installing it from the desktop or OTA. You could also try eReader.com I loaded it once, but didn't like it as well as mobi.

btw, I couldn't get the Nook app to open my books either. It wanted my credit card number, like I had purchased the books from B & N.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    PIN
    32A1218B

Try Mobi Pocket Reader again. It works fine on my Storm 9550 and allows u to read different formats. Exactly what issues are u having when u try to install it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2808FF31

Mobipocket Reader Beta works great. I've got about 200 books on my S2. Mostly in PDB format but it takes all kinds. There's a desktop version that I use to convert them so I can ready them on my BB.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    Yup. We become friends, maybe we can trade?

Quote Originally Posted by NunyoBidnez View Post

I am looking for an eReader to install that actually works. I have a stash of books already (EPUB) and I am looking for something that will allow me to read what I already have. I do not need to connect to an ebookstore to download anything.

I have tried the Kindle app...but it appears to not let me read anything offline. I tried the Barnes & Noble app but it never finds the books (converted to .PDB)
    I tried to install Mobi but the only app that appears for the Storm is beta and never installs on my device. Basically says the software will not work on it.

Is there anyone out there that can give some directions? At this time I am holding a 10lb sledgehammer over the phone and screaming at it.
    Are you kidding? The Kindle app is awesome. I've used Mobipocket also and that works great as well. I prefer Kindle because of the all the books I can get for free on Amazon. As for reading offline, you have to download the books first. But I'm also able to read books that I've gotten from places other than Amazon. I just convert them to .mobi format and they work great on my Kindle.

Anyway, good luck. You might want to try Kobo. I don't much like it, but maybe you will. Doesn't hurt to try.

And thanks for mentioning Barnes & Noble. Didn't know they had a BlackBerry ebook reader.
    Last edited by victoriak68; 01-30-2011 at 03:36 PM.
    CrackBerry Master

For the Kindle app, any e-book not downloaded from Amazon directly, needs to be placed into the Kindle ebooks folder. Files>Media Card>Kindle>ebooks
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    10,131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NunyoBidnez View Post

You simply don't understand the Kindle app. You buy a book, download it, and read it with or without an internet connection. Don't blame the app for your misunderstanding of it. It's awesome. I use it on my Touch and Storm. SOMETIMES, even on my PC. Go back to "Go", and start over.
    Dave - Moto Bionic