Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30C00B1A
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Dumb question about Storm 2

So with all the talk that there will be a 9520 variation for AT&T does this mean Verizon no longer carries a "lifetime" exclusivity? Does that mean that the 9550 MAY actually come to Sprint at some time? I love the look and the feel of the storm but pay next to nothing on Sprint compared to Verizon.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

I'm not sure anyone really can answer this. If it were to come to AT&T, that doesn't necessarily mean that the CDMA exclusive deal is done for.

Exclusive contracts are bad for companies like RIM and Apple. Its bad enough you have technology differences on carriers - but it forces the manufacturing of a device that can only be sold on a limited basis (yeah you can unlock it..but it still doesnt offer all the functionality and support).

Anyway - I digress - there is always a chance they open it up to Sprint. We just need to wait and see how it goes. I wouldn't expect it at this point on anywhere except VZW and reports of other versions just need to be taken with a grain of salt.

As to the carrier choice - yeah if Sprint works well in your area its a no brainer to stay on their plans. They have great pricing. I live "out there" so for me they were never really an option.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    966 Global Posts
    PIN
    307A5402

Senators Ask FCC to Examine Handset Exclusivity Deals

On June 15, four members of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee asked the FCC to review handset exclusivity agreements. A handset exclusivity agreement is one in which a wireless carrier and a handset manufacturer agree to make exclusive certain models of that manufacturer's handsets to that carrier's customers only during a contracted period. These arrangements have reportedly become more prevalent in recent years.

Sens. John F. Kerry (D. Mass.), Roger F. Wicker (R. Miss.), Byron L. Dorgan (D. N.D.), and Amy Klobuchar (D. Minn.) wrote a letter to acting Chairman Michael J. Copps asking the FCC to examine these handset exclusivity agreements. In particular, they asked the FCC to consider whether the agreements: (1) "are becoming increasingly prevalent between dominant wireless carriers and handset manufacturers", (2) "are restricting consumer choice with respect to which handsets are available depending on a consumer's geographic region, particularly for consumers living in rural America", (3) "place limitations on a consumer's ability to take full advantage of handset technologies, such as the ability to send multimedia messages or the ability to 'tether' a device to a computer for internet use", (4) "are manipulating the competitive marketplace between commercial wireless carriers"; and (5) "play a role in encouraging or discouraging innovation within the handset marketplace."

"[W]e ask that you examine this issue carefully," wrote the four senators, "and act expeditiously should you find that exclusivity agreements unfairly restrict consumer choice or adversely impact competition in the commercial wireless marketplace."

On June 18, the committee held a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing to explore exclusivity arrangements between wireless carriers and handset makers. There, Chairman Jay Rockefeller (D. W.Va.) said that exclusive arrangements will be a continuing focus of the Senate Commerce Committee.

On the same day, Michael J. Copps, FCC Acting Chairman, said at Broadband Policy Summit V that he agrees the FCC should open a proceeding to closely examine wireless handset exclusivity arrangements. "I have instructed the Bureau to begin crafting such an item," he said. "The Commission as the expert agency should determine whether some of these arrangements adversely restrict consumer choice or harm the development of innovative devices, and it should take appropriate action if it finds harm."
    ^^ courtesy United States, IT & Telecoms, Communications Law Bulletin, June 2009 - Morrison & Foerster LLP - 13/07/2009 09:00:08, Broadcasting Law, Information Technology Law, Internet, Telecommunications, Mobile & Cable Communications

Exclusivity may be going bye bye...
    pwstinger@vzw.blackberry.net

The storm should have a quote engraved on it: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate...
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    30C00B1A
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thanks for the responses guys....

Here's to crossing my fingers and waiting** I'm not due for an upgrade until February anyway
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts

To the op, they are just rumors.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

Not a dumb question at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    628 Global Posts

i cant wait im due for my 1 year upgrade in august so thats just in time.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    763 Global Posts
    Nokia 638, Nokia 6160, Nokia3360, Sony Ericsson T306, Nokia 3220, Nokia 6682, Nokia 6133, BlackBerry Pearl 8120, BlackBerry Pearl 8220, Back to 8120, BlackBerry Storm2 9550, Back to 8120 again, BlackBerry Torch 9800.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts

ya idk about exclusivity. verizon said to fcc that they will no longer have exclusives for longer than 6 months. but i think they should wait until after storm 2 to put this into effect. just look at apple and the iphone. keeps at&t profits up. i will be considering buying storm 2 when its released. until then i am happily in love with my tour.
    Houston Rockets.
    Tennessee Titans.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts

Think of the number of people that would flock back to big red if AT&T didn't have a choke hold on the Jesus phone.