Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default browser not opening and service books disappearing ( Need your EXPERT opinions !)

Hello everyone !

What
    When I was with my earlier service provider (no BIS) I had my browser working, hotspot and internet browsers. Now once i ported to another service provider, I'm having only the hotspot browser, which as you all know activates only when in a hotspot.

I Do not have BIS and its expensive, and pretty much lacks utility for me, because i hardly do BBM or Mail. What I do have is an internet pack which works over edge.
    So I dont have the BB browser. What do I do? I went through some threads, and found out that I could, download service books, and restore them to my BB using the DM. I did that. Works fine. However, on a battery pull, it loses the browser service book. So i thought probably I'm fundamentally going wrong with getting the browser to manually work by restoring service books.

So how do I do it? I do have Opera but you know you can't watch videos etc, and well, the feel of using the BB browser is different lets agree
    I had some threads explaining, that, it loses the books, because the service books are old, and it discards them. Possible because the ones i downloaded were obviously old, haven't found any new ones. But there's no guarantee thats the problem, and even if it were, how do I fix it?

On an elementary scale, if my browser restoration procedure is correct, which is download the service books and restore using DM, then how do i retain them, when i do the battery pull?

I really need some help with this !
    I'm using a storm 2 9550 btw. No BIS remember.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

From my understanding, without a BIS plan you can only use the Hotspot browser when connected to Wifi.

In order to use the browser over the native blackberry browser you need a BIS data plan. I believe the reason your phone is "discarding" the service books on a reboot is that phone goes to register with your carrier, your carrier is telling it "no, you don't have BIS" and deleting them.

the only browser that works without a BIS data plan is opera.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I think you're missing the Author's point. He CAN use the native Blackberry Browser when he overwrites the Service Books with ones that bring the Blackberry Browser back. When he does a DM Restore, he places working Browser Service Books on his phone and he is then allowed to used the Native Blackberry Browser, not just Hotspot. But after he Reboots/Does a Battery Pull, they default back to the original non-native Browser ones.

I too have this same quandary. I originally had a Data Service Plan without BIS, and everything worked just fine - Blackberry Browser, MMS, SMS, LifeinPocket, GPS. Everything with the exception of BBM and Mail. I rebooted my phone each time I swapped batteries and the working Service Books remained intact. Then when I upgraded to what seemed like a better Data Plan (again, no BIS) with a new carrier, I experience the same issue as the Author: Service Books get overwritten on battery pull.

So what does one do in order to keep the phone from "discarding" the working service books? These phones are not registered with BIS, so I highly doubt that the problem is the "carrier telling it no, you don't have BIS and deleting them". As with everything, there must be a simple solution, and the Author and I can't be the only ones who are experiencing this problem...

Any response would be welcomed...

My phone is a Bold 9650 on Cricket GSM
    CrackBerry User

Simply use DM to store your service books so each time they vanish You can reload them back. To do the backup and restore You need to do enable legacy mode by holding alt and typing Sbeb in the service book screen. When it shows the legacy mode enable You are good to go backing up only service nooks or restoring them. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    What does it profit a man to have it all and lose his soul? Having everything is nowhere near a sufficient or necessary condition to have God; having God is a necessary & sufficient condition to having all you'd ever need. If you don't have God or need and desire Him, just humbly & truly confess & repent of your sins, & believe & accept Jesus into your life as your Lord & Personal Savior. 2 Corinthians 5:17 | Love my BB Z30 STA100-2 | BBM Channel - C00053466