Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hmmm...
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Ask Kevin

I'm starting this because in the Storm 2 video Kevin said, you guys ask me what you want to know...
    So I'm asking.

1. Will Storm cradle work with Storm 2?
    2. Does Storm 2 have a proximity sensor?
    3. Does Storm 2 have a faster processor?
    4. Explain more about that click screen in comparison to the original Storm? Is it SurePress or TruePress? How many buttons are behind the screen, or are they pressure pads and not really buttons?
    5. Is there any light bleed from around the screen?
    6. Is there flick scrolling?
    7. Does it have an option to lock the accelerometor (mainly on homescreen) (Stop Tilt)?
    8. Did they fix the stupid calculator app so the numbers show like on a standard calculator?
    9. Can I click the lock button on top left to shut off the screen when it locks?
    10. Can I click the mute button on the top right to toggle vibrate only and active profile?
    11. Will I be able to sync my IE bookmarks to the Storm 2?
    12. Is the tabbed browsing user friendly?
    13. Can I make custom labels in my contact list for phone numbers, say like i want to add my cottage and appear as cottage?
    14. Can I set ring and vibrate at the same time for phone calls, emails, BBM, basically all alerts?
    15. Will there be one unit that will handle Telus' new HSPA network or will it be like 9550 is CDMA and HSPA
    2100mhz and you will need the 9520 for GSM and HSPA/UMTS 850/1900mhz?
    16. Will it support threaded SMS?
    17. Will it have a "Storm Only" type OS with a sleek UI that is smooth running or will it look like what we got now?
    18. Will it have wifi? I think the answer has already been answered with a big fat YES!
    19. Does it have a really strong vibrate motor... I hope so?
    20. How much memory will it really have?
    21. Is the second S2 in your video actually the 9520?

Thats it for now... I hope i get some replys. I don't want speculation from people thinking they know.
    I want answers from Kevin cause he said ask me?
    I guess guys like CX and Radio would know these answers as well.
    Last edited by Sparro; 07-26-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    BlackBerry Z30 running BB10.3
    CrackBerry Founder

Global Posts
    3,678 Global Posts
    PIN
    It's complicated...

Yo. Good post! Planned on doing a follow up article for this on Monday in the blogs answering questions left in the comments. This is a great summary. Can answer some, not others based on what I know so far (plus things will still change from the version of OS I have).

Will give you one for now.... no light bleed around the corners. At least on the units I have
    Kevin Michaluk
    Founder, CrackBerry.com
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    CrackBerry Master

Units

Lucky.
    Check out the wonderful :|: elle :|: theme suite!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Will s2 work on verizon 4g network?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plifebryan View Post
    Will s2 work on verizon 4g network?
    you might be thinking a little too far ahead. It might not be able to achieve 4G speeds (have 4G capability) but verizon isn't going to make the phone useless when 4g arrives, so it will still work.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hmmm...
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks Kevin!
    I look forward to hearing some of your answers.
    I just added a 15th question.
    BlackBerry Z30 running BB10.3
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    you mean .. my barcode right ?

haha i can only say i like this thread. good idea sparro

and kevin im waiting on monday's post !!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

For once in my life im wishing monday would come sooner.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Yessss no light bleed. that was my biggest pet peeve about the first. i think if that was all they fixed i would still get it
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am super excited for Storm 2.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

yeah thats because it they will simultaneoulsy be running the 3g network too, right?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    763 Global Posts

Is one of those storm 2 units in the video not a 9550?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Sparro View Post
    4. Explain more about that click screen in comparison to the original Storm?
    +1 to that question.

Also, is there some way to type silently ... without the buttons under the screen making any 'click' whatsoever? I really wish there were. The pressure-sensing click-less tech discussed in one of the rumor threads would be fantastic.

Kevin, thanks for the review, answering these follow up questions. Thanks to the OP for the thread.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plifebryan View Post
    yeah thats because it they will simultaneoulsy be running the 3g network too, right?
    Well they can't just drop service on us lol...I hope

Networks right now run a combination of 3G and 2/2.5G right now I believe
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    PIN
    @SurrealCivic

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shawn View Post

yea, its a 9530 or 9500. He has three units in the video, two 9550s and one 9530/9500.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shawn View Post
    +1 to that comment (although I think he means, isn't one of those units a GSM 9520)
    The Sultan of CrackBerry

Global Posts
    5,634 Global Posts

Kevin is the man...."Unit(s)"!!?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealCivic View Post
    yea, its a 9530 or 9500. He has three units in the video, two 9550s and one 9530/9500.
    I think that is incorrect SurrealCivic. He specifically says he has two Storms, and at the end of the video he says you have just seen the Storm 9550 and 9520, which would be the GSM designation. The one he demo'd was the 9550 (CDMA version designation) and was listed first and was on the left of screen when he said it, and then the 9520 (GSM version designation) was on the right of the screen in a grey skin I believe.

That is why The_Shawn is asking ... he asked this question in another thread as well and I think he wants Kevin to answer it, rather than us.
    If anyone finds a BB ported version of Hexen, Heretic or Doom, please let me know.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    304BE829

wow glad the OP did this.. i just feel a few of his questions are way out there...the OS will be refined 4.7 pretty much like what the 5.0.140 is just some fancy transitions.. you want fancy OS get a theme. the memory will be like the tour 256 mb for apps and os. 2 gigs for media and your choice of SD card.. i dont see flick scrolling coming onboard or pinch zoom.. tab browser is not like iphone where you flip to next tab. on bb u hit bb button scroll to tabs then click on whats open. doubt on TMS(THREADED MESSAGES SERVICE) there is no need can believe how many times that is brought up...i doubt they fixed the accelerometer dont see any thing wrong with it. OS 5.0.140 calculator is same as as 4.7 calculator seems to be fine never had a problem with calculator. as for IE sync drop it get firfox then u can sync your bookmarks. cant believe folks still us IE... do hope the cradle still works..
    ..................Motorola Droid 2.0 no Bis problems here........
    http://twitter.com/moosc
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

why is there no need for threaded text messages? It may not be a necessity, but it does come in handy especially if you receive many texts at a time (long text from one person is split, many texts from diff. ppl, etc.)

If a winmo phone can do it, why shouldn't a blackberry be able to do it?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

I think RIM is fully capable of making iPhone-like OSes. However, they have a problem. Their aim is to make one universal OS across all devices. With this in mind, they have to make the OS compatible across all devices, QWERTY and touch.

This presents a problem: if RIM were to have a flashier OS with more touch gestures (pinch zooming, flick scroll, tab switching), it would NOT be compatible with the QWERTY devices. RIM would essentially need TWO OS teams: one to build Storm/touchscreen specific OSes, and another team to deal with QWERTY OSes. Porting assets from a touchscreen OS to a QWERTY OS or vice versa would be too much work: look at how 4.7 initially turned out on the Storm despite 4.6 on the Curve and Bold being so well built. 4.7 is just 4.6 with touchscreen drivers tacked on, but even with 4.6 being robust as it was, it took til .148 and .151 for the device to function well as I'd like it to.

My two cents on the whole "why can't it be like an iPhone" deal. Maybe OS 5.2 will really bring a major UI overhaul, and maybe RIM will end up having two separate OS teams. Who knows?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    304BE829

hey Kevin what can you tell us about the case u had one the storm2s? is a storm 1 case or is case already being made?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    PIN
    304BE829

Quote Originally Posted by f-castrillo View Post
    I think RIM is fully capable of making iPhone-like OSes. However, they have a problem. Their aim is to make one universal OS across all devices. With this in mind, they have to make the OS compatible across all devices, QWERTY and touch.

This presents a problem: if RIM were to have a flashier OS with more touch gestures (pinch zooming, flick scroll, tab switching), it would NOT be compatible with the QWERTY devices. RIM would essentially need TWO OS teams: one to build Storm/touchscreen specific OSes, and another team to deal with QWERTY OSes. Porting assets from a touchscreen OS to a QWERTY OS or vice versa would be too much work: look at how 4.7 initially turned out on the Storm despite 4.6 on the Curve and Bold being so well built. 4.7 is just 4.6 with touchscreen drivers tacked on, but even with 4.6 being robust as it was, it took til .148 and .151 for the device to function well as I'd like it to.

My two cents on the whole "why can't it be like an iPhone" deal. Maybe OS 5.2 will really bring a major UI overhaul, and maybe RIM will end up having two separate OS teams. Who knows?
    this why the iphone is good one phone style to deal with not awhole bunch differnt models under one brand...
    CrackBerry User

Default Release Date.....

I would add to the Ask Kevin list:

Expected release date?

I know you probably can't answer directly but perhaps you could photoshop some hints that might help tantalize all of us. I have been waiting for a decent Verizon smartphone and am trying to decide whether to grab a Tour or wait for S2.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    763 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealCivic View Post
    I asked specifically about the 2nd Storm 2 unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robot_Goundhog View Post
    +1 to that comment (although I think he means, isn't one of those units a GSM 9520)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I think that is incorrect SurrealCivic. He specifically says he has two Storms, and at the end of the video he says you have just seen the Storm 9550 and 9520, which would be the GSM designation. The one he demo'd was the 9550 (CDMA version designation) and was listed first and was on the left of screen when he said it, and then the 9520 (GSM version designation) was on the right of the screen in a grey skin I believe.

That is why The_Shawn is asking ... he asked this question in another thread as well and I think he wants Kevin to answer it, rather than us.
    Exactly, I know the 3rd one is either a 9500 or 9530. We were assuming the 2nd Storm 2 unit was the 9520. I was hoping that the "Ask Kevin" thread would be a great place to ask Kevin if he could confirm our assumptions. I just wanted to confirm if the Storm 2 unit in the gray skin, the Storm 2 unit that was not demonstrated, was indeed the 9520.
    Nokia 638, Nokia 6160, Nokia3360, Sony Ericsson T306, Nokia 3220, Nokia 6682, Nokia 6133, BlackBerry Pearl 8120, BlackBerry Pearl 8220, Back to 8120, BlackBerry Storm2 9550, Back to 8120 again, BlackBerry Torch 9800.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast