I'm starting this because in the Storm 2 video Kevin said, you guys ask me what you want to know...
So I'm asking.
1. Will Storm cradle work with Storm 2?
2. Does Storm 2 have a proximity sensor?
3. Does Storm 2 have a faster processor?
4. Explain more about that click screen in comparison to the original Storm? Is it SurePress or TruePress? How many buttons are behind the screen, or are they pressure pads and not really buttons?
5. Is there any light bleed from around the screen?
6. Is there flick scrolling?
7. Does it have an option to lock the accelerometor (mainly on homescreen) (Stop Tilt)?
8. Did they fix the stupid calculator app so the numbers show like on a standard calculator?
9. Can I click the lock button on top left to shut off the screen when it locks?
10. Can I click the mute button on the top right to toggle vibrate only and active profile?
11. Will I be able to sync my IE bookmarks to the Storm 2?
12. Is the tabbed browsing user friendly?
13. Can I make custom labels in my contact list for phone numbers, say like i want to add my cottage and appear as cottage?
14. Can I set ring and vibrate at the same time for phone calls, emails, BBM, basically all alerts?
15. Will there be one unit that will handle Telus' new HSPA network or will it be like 9550 is CDMA and HSPA
2100mhz and you will need the 9520 for GSM and HSPA/UMTS 850/1900mhz?
16. Will it support threaded SMS?
17. Will it have a "Storm Only" type OS with a sleek UI that is smooth running or will it look like what we got now?
18. Will it have wifi? I think the answer has already been answered with a big fat YES!
19. Does it have a really strong vibrate motor... I hope so?
20. How much memory will it really have?
21. Is the second S2 in your video actually the 9520?
Thats it for now... I hope i get some replys. I don't want speculation from people thinking they know.
I want answers from Kevin cause he said ask me?
I guess guys like CX and Radio would know these answers as well.
Last edited by Sparro; 07-26-2009 at 07:26 PM.BlackBerry Z10
- 07-24-2009, 02:25 PM #2
Yo. Good post! Planned on doing a follow up article for this on Monday in the blogs answering questions left in the comments. This is a great summary. Can answer some, not others based on what I know so far (plus things will still change from the version of OS I have).
Will give you one for now.... no light bleed around the corners. At least on the units I haveKevin Michaluk
Founder, Editor in Chief, Troll Killer, CrackBerry.com
Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
- 07-24-2009, 02:37 PM #5
- CrackBerry Abuser
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM #13
- 272 Posts
Also, is there some way to type silently ... without the buttons under the screen making any 'click' whatsoever? I really wish there were. The pressure-sensing click-less tech discussed in one of the rumor threads would be fantastic.
Kevin, thanks for the review, answering these follow up questions. Thanks to the OP for the thread.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
- CrackBerry Abuser
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM #18
- 272 Posts
That is why The_Shawn is asking ... he asked this question in another thread as well and I think he wants Kevin to answer it, rather than us.If anyone finds a BB ported version of Hexen, Heretic or Doom, please let me know.
- 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM #19
wow glad the OP did this.. i just feel a few of his questions are way out there...the OS will be refined 4.7 pretty much like what the 5.0.140 is just some fancy transitions.. you want fancy OS get a theme. the memory will be like the tour 256 mb for apps and os. 2 gigs for media and your choice of SD card.. i dont see flick scrolling coming onboard or pinch zoom.. tab browser is not like iphone where you flip to next tab. on bb u hit bb button scroll to tabs then click on whats open. doubt on TMS(THREADED MESSAGES SERVICE) there is no need can believe how many times that is brought up...i doubt they fixed the accelerometer dont see any thing wrong with it. OS 5.0.140 calculator is same as as 4.7 calculator seems to be fine never had a problem with calculator. as for IE sync drop it get firfox then u can sync your bookmarks. cant believe folks still us IE... do hope the cradle still works..
- 07-24-2009, 06:30 PM #20
why is there no need for threaded text messages? It may not be a necessity, but it does come in handy especially if you receive many texts at a time (long text from one person is split, many texts from diff. ppl, etc.)
If a winmo phone can do it, why shouldn't a blackberry be able to do it?
- 07-24-2009, 06:35 PM #21
I think RIM is fully capable of making iPhone-like OSes. However, they have a problem. Their aim is to make one universal OS across all devices. With this in mind, they have to make the OS compatible across all devices, QWERTY and touch.
This presents a problem: if RIM were to have a flashier OS with more touch gestures (pinch zooming, flick scroll, tab switching), it would NOT be compatible with the QWERTY devices. RIM would essentially need TWO OS teams: one to build Storm/touchscreen specific OSes, and another team to deal with QWERTY OSes. Porting assets from a touchscreen OS to a QWERTY OS or vice versa would be too much work: look at how 4.7 initially turned out on the Storm despite 4.6 on the Curve and Bold being so well built. 4.7 is just 4.6 with touchscreen drivers tacked on, but even with 4.6 being robust as it was, it took til .148 and .151 for the device to function well as I'd like it to.
My two cents on the whole "why can't it be like an iPhone" deal. Maybe OS 5.2 will really bring a major UI overhaul, and maybe RIM will end up having two separate OS teams. Who knows?
- 07-24-2009, 06:43 PM #22
hey Kevin what can you tell us about the case u had one the storm2s? is a storm 1 case or is case already being made?
- 07-24-2009, 06:44 PM #23
- CrackBerry User
07-24-2009, 06:53 PM #24
- 25 Posts
I would add to the Ask Kevin list:
Expected release date?
I know you probably can't answer directly but perhaps you could photoshop some hints that might help tantalize all of us. I have been waiting for a decent Verizon smartphone and am trying to decide whether to grab a Tour or wait for S2.
- 07-24-2009, 07:47 PM #25
I asked specifically about the 2nd Storm 2 unit.
Exactly, I know the 3rd one is either a 9500 or 9530. We were assuming the 2nd Storm 2 unit was the 9520. I was hoping that the "Ask Kevin" thread would be a great place to ask Kevin if he could confirm our assumptions. I just wanted to confirm if the Storm 2 unit in the gray skin, the Storm 2 unit that was not demonstrated, was indeed the 9520.Nokia 638, Nokia 6160, Nokia3360, Sony Ericsson T306, Nokia 3220, Nokia 6682, Nokia 6133, BlackBerry Pearl 8120, BlackBerry Pearl 8220, Back to 8120, BlackBerry Storm2 9550, Back to 8120 again, BlackBerry Torch 9800.