$6.99? $7.99? Where does the madness end? I understand that everyone's time is worth money. I understand that some themes are labor intensive. I also understand that theme studio is free. I have never paid for a theme. I have made a few themes for myself and select others and never charged anything nor did I expect anything in return (aside from the one I made for my wife lol). I am not trying to belittle anyone. Do what you must. Understand this, the brilliant minds at RIM put all the code into the program that we ALL use to make themes and GAVE it away to everyone that wants it, maybe you should send a cut of every theme to RIM because they made it possible. I would also like to mention a few free theme makers;
    Natemz
    robnhl
    socalmiles
    codegirl
    dhoch
    jaxjon
    rorschack
    Rockee
    Zachriel
    rusty2663
    zlee67
    dres79
    mothy
    aug0211
    Padgoi
    rodalpha
    stanrc
    fatpiggy888
    kwoodford
    rcdeck
    Zodiaq

I apologize to those that were left out of this post. I know I have seen and used themes from a few of these individuals and they were fantastic. Thank you all for your donations to the Crackberry Community because if it weren't for your dedication along with all the staff at Crackberry.com, I am sure that RIM would have gone bankrupt along time ago. lol. Thank you for your time, and I hope I don't offend because that is not the reason for this post. Thank you again.
    11-18-09 12:32 AM
    for me a top chef theme would be priceless......lol if someone would make one HINT HINT....and i downloaded the theme studio and it wont load on windows 7 ....it might just be me ....other than searching the web and posting on crackberry my hp mini is basically a paperweight i guess....
    11-18-09 01:12 AM
    Thanks for the recognition. I agree that 6 or 7 dollars is way too much to pay for a theme, but if there is a market for it that will bear the price I can't really complain too much. And to the point about RIM, they support the monetization of themes - they're beginning to sell them in App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 08:33 AM
    I agree. Would never pay for a theme. Find a free one, make my own or use the default.
    11-18-09 08:53 AM
    Never ... ever ... would I even consider paying for a theme. That is, until I discovered the slideberry 2.0.

I think I paid $5.00 for the theme, and it has been worth every penny. I've tried other themes since, and they just won't cut it. Once I had the ability to scroll through all my apps, while having the most used apps always available, I couldn't go to anything else.

So ... willing seller, willing buyer ... have at it.
    11-18-09 09:58 AM
    Personally, I don't buy themes that are over 3 dollars.

7 is a bit ridiculous, considering there is some decent and sometimes better themes for free that one could get instead.

11-18-09 04:08 PM
    i would never pay! just make my own or use the default
    11-18-09 04:25 PM
    I'd pay a few bucks for a theme. I tried making one and it wasn't for me. I am currently using bedroid and I love it. I got it in sale or else I wouldn't have bought it.

11-18-09 06:19 PM
    Thank you for commenting. I can see some of the valid points of view here. I can also see the one thing that I have a hard time facing, supply-and-demand. When I was selling tires and automotive service my motivation was, "there's a sucker born every minute"! People prove that time and again. If you have something to sell then there is someone willing to pay and often times willing to pay for way more than what it is really worth. I sold a lady with new tires on her car another set of tires once. So sure guys go and make your themes and sell them, but my biggest point is; at least don't call them premium, because there is always one better and free. Come on with the comments!!
    11-19-09 12:29 AM
    Ecruz themes are premium and free. One of the greatest theme makers ever.

11-19-09 02:54 AM
    Thank you for commenting. I can see some of the valid points of view here. I can also see the one thing that I have a hard time facing, supply-and-demand. When I was selling tires and automotive service my motivation was, "there's a sucker born every minute"! People prove that time and again. If you have something to sell then there is someone willing to pay and often times willing to pay for way more than what it is really worth. I sold a lady with new tires on her car another set of tires once. So sure guys go and make your themes and sell them, but my biggest point is; at least don't call them premium, because there is always one better and free. Come on with the comments!!
    Although I've heard the saying about the sucker, and in a lot of cases it's true, I think paying for a theme is like paying to have your yard mowed. You could mow your own yard, but for whatever reason you don't and someone will do it for you for a price. It's not a right or wrong thing, but it is most certainly a supply and demand thing. There would be no supply if there were no demand.

I have the talent to make themes, but I don't have the time. My passon runs elsewhere and I'm very glad that there are others who's passon is in theme making. I like to think that I have a vivid imagination, but compared to some of the theme makers out there, there is a huge difference. Some of those folks are off the charts, and that's a good thing. I love looking and trying out new themes. Heck, I've spent a small fortune (trust me, my fortune is very small) on themes and I don't mind.

Which brings me to your question, what would I pay for a theme. Well, like any good shopper I try to catch them on sale, but for the most part, $3 and under seems to be a sweet spot. that doesn't mean I won't pay more, but if I do, then I expect more.

Does all this make your position wrong, certainly not, it's just your position, no right or wrong because there is a huge and very good supply of free themes that rock. I have some of those as well.

If I had to sum themes up into a single phrase it would be "It's All Good".
    11-19-09 06:11 AM
    In general, I would not pay for a theme. As a matter of fact, if I open a thread and are its a 'premium' aka paid theme, I close it and move on. However, I have been using Rockee's free precision zen themes for a couple weeks and personally, I decided that it contributed significantly to my user experience and as such, I donated 8 dollars - more so than most (if not all) paid themes. Why 8? Not just because I enjoy his themes, but because he is responsive to the users of his themes and is pleasant in doing so. He follows his thread, provides timely updates and is thankful for the feedback he receives. Truth is, I didn't pay for a theme, I rewarded a contributor to the community. Even if I find a new theme tomorrow, my donation 'feels right'.

11-19-09 06:40 AM
    i have bought about 100 themes for my phone. some people dont want to pay for themes and there are alot of great free themes out there so people dont have to, i use plenty of free themes myself. if i like it ill pretty much buy it. and the most i have spent on a theme is probably about $7
    11-19-09 05:00 PM
    Personally I don't know how-nor have the time to learn how to make my own themes. I truely appreciate those that have the talent and wisdom to make a good theme. What would I pay for a theme??? Well the most I paid so far is $50.00-- I had the person do several customizations and I have used that theme almost everyday since I got it! Is is worth it to me? You betcha!!! I do think that they should all have a trial or preview period though. I bought too many that I didn't like and that I deleted.
    11-19-09 08:18 PM
    No more than $3.99.
    Some BB software doesn't cost that.

Next I plan to roll my own.
    11-19-09 08:21 PM
    I totally agree! And sad thing is when I try themes, I end up deleting them 5min later. Except for the pro theme made by Natemz. If I was gonna make a theme of my own, it would be that one. lol I love that theme!
    I DO agree with donations. If someone likes a free theme so much, they should donate whatever they feel that theme is worth to them if they want too.
    11-19-09 10:10 PM
    Never ... ever ... would I even consider paying for a theme. That is, until I discovered the slideberry 2.0.

I think I paid $5.00 for the theme, and it has been worth every penny. I've tried other themes since, and they just won't cut it. Once I had the ability to scroll through all my apps, while having the most used apps always available, I couldn't go to anything else.

So ... willing seller, willing buyer ... have at it.
    Ummmm, would this not be the exact features of the stock 5.0 precision zen theme? It has 4,8, or 12 user defined icons on the homescreen with some hidden hotspots and sound profiles + when you press the app button, there's the rest of your applications. You paid $5.00 for something you already had. Unless you like the icons....maybe they are worth the money. (They are also available for free though).
    11-29-09 05:58 PM
    Ummmm, would this not be the exact features of the stock 5.0 precision zen theme? It has 4,8, or 12 user defined icons on the homescreen with some hidden hotspots and sound profiles + when you press the app button, there's the rest of your applications. You paid $5.00 for something you already had. Unless you like the icons....maybe they are worth the money. (They are also available for free though).
    Ummmm, no. Slideberry provides for access to up to 24 items without leaving the home screen (and without cluttering it up), in addition to the profiles, clock, and connections spots that precision zen has. Plus, I like the ability to scroll through all of the icons right on the home screen.

I found a theme that I liked, and was very useful. I've downloaded many free themes thinking that they would do the same thing, but they simply don't.

The bottom line is, if you don't like a theme enough to pay for it, don't. I find it rather odd that someone would come on here and attempt to belittle someone who has paid a grand total of $5 for a theme.
    11-30-09 11:28 AM
    Themes that do not leak and are functional are worth every penny. Mostly I use donations and have given more then 7.99 where they have been worth it. Unfortinately, the majority of themes leak. Only a few don't then the question of functionality. KD themes and elle are great. Unfortunately, elle is still being converted for 5.0.
    12-02-09 02:08 PM
    When I first got my Storm, I paid for a few. Never over 4.99, 6.99 or 7.99 is too much IMHO. Since then, I have learned how to make my own, share many of them, and am still working on others. I do it mostly for the enjoyment of it, so I don't too much worry about charging for them (although I do accept donations if anyone chooses to do so, which has only been one so far). If people like them, and want to donate, great, if not, that's OK too. If I was worried about it from that standpoint, then I would charge for them to begin with. I personally don't charge for mine, but I can see where some people might want too. To each his own, although I do agree that more of the ones charging for them should have some kind of trial period or similar. I paid for a couple that looked cool initially, but were not very usable after I got them or were very slow running, etc. That kind of sucks, so some kind of trial I think would be good.
    12-02-09 03:39 PM
    I agree with most of you. If you want to pay for a theme, there is someone willing to take your money. There should be a trial of something, sometimes they look cool and suck. Some deliver, some don't!
    12-02-09 10:56 PM
    trials are not possible with themes
    01-07-10 03:24 PM
    Not sure what you mean by free but the slideberry icons are custom icons and they are not free. Plus, the default zen theme is NOTHING like slideberry.

There is nothing wrong with paying for themes or not paying for themes. It's a choice. There are plenty of free and premium themes to keep everyone happy.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of developers' income and survival depend on theme/app sales. Dont hate on folks trying to get by in this crappy economy. No one is forced to buy themes.
    01-07-10 05:08 PM
    Ummm...being charged for a theme is kinda insulting, especially when so many have so many problems, but I think donating a few bucks for a well made theme is just a nice way to say thanks for the efforts...that being said, go to BB app world and check out the themes section, there's one that's selling for $11.00, and all it is is a picture of a diamond with stock icons...what a joke

01-07-10 05:18 PM
    i would never pay! just make my own or use the default
    Yep same hear...

01-07-10 06:02 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD