I have performed some tests and have come to understand that the Storm has some sort of sensor that detects sunlight and/or bright light. I wondered why my screen in portrait mode would dim and light up at random moments but then, sitting in my desk with my window open, I put the blackberry under my desk where there is hardly any light and noticed that my screen would dim. Then I placed the Storm on my table where the sunlight shined, then i noticed the screen light up. While performing these tests I constantly touched my screen so that the Storm would not go into sleep mode.

In a dark environment the back light would not have to be lit up to its max for one to read the screen but in a well lit environment the intense light would wash out the light coming from the screen. If anyone out there is willing to perform more comprehensive tests please confirm my findings.
    12-12-08 02:08 PM
    My 8830 did that too. Helps conserve the battery and makes it easier to read.
    12-12-08 02:10 PM
    Yes, this option is actually standard...

My Bold does it, but I disable it.

I'm pretty sure the Curve did it too, but can't remember...

It's pretty Annoying in my opinion.
    12-12-08 02:23 PM
    lol, this has been around since Jesus celebrated his birthday.
    12-12-08 02:56 PM
    ^^^^^fricken funny^ROFL
    12-12-08 02:59 PM
    haha.... a lot of type for a standard feature!
    12-12-08 03:19 PM
    It's the same sensor the Auto Flash uses in camera mode. Pretty nifty, though, I agree.
    12-12-08 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD