Maybe RIM and Verizon should have delayed the Storm. Yes, it would have been a real bummer for all of us eagerly awaiting the Storm. Look at all the negative reviews and press it is getting because they released review units with .65 though. I am as anxious to get my hands on the Storm as everyone else, but I for one, wish they would have delayed it until it was ready.
    11-20-08 08:00 AM
    They will be releasing new OS updates quite often. It .81 is supposed to be released either tomorrow (once it comes out) or next week from what i've heard.

But dont fret it will come out soon.

It sucks about all the other reviews, I have seen them too. The problem is they are all comparing them to the iphone because the people reviewing them have the iphone. It is much different than the iphone and they are used to certain things that the storm doesnt
    11-20-08 08:05 AM
    I totally agree. I would have rather waited till Dec or Jan rather than receive a device that is obviously not ready for primetime.
    11-20-08 08:05 AM
    Yeah, I'm kinda bummed by all the lukewarm reviews. I blame part of it on everyone hyping it up to be an "iphone killer". I'm having second thoughts on buying one tomorrow and waiting a little while for OS updates.
    11-20-08 08:06 AM
    If you are having doubts then wait. That's exactly why I didn't jump on the iphone bandwagon and I am glad I didn't. If you feel the need to be "first on the block" then get it and don't complain. I guarantee you there will be things that suck about it until the bugs are worked out.
    11-20-08 08:34 AM
    They will be releasing new OS updates quite often. It .81 is supposed to be released either tomorrow (once it comes out) or next week from what i've heard.

But dont fret it will come out soon.

It sucks about all the other reviews, I have seen them too. The problem is they are all comparing them to the iphone because the people reviewing them have the iphone. It is much different than the iphone and they are used to certain things that the storm doesnt
    I don't really think it has as much to do with the iPhone comparisons as it does with releasing a phone while it is still VERY buggy to reviewers. The reviewers then, review it based on the horrid .65 OS, thus not being able to give it a FAIR review. Granted, they can re-review it when the upgrade is pushed out, but by then, people are already going to have their mind made up about the phone. It will be too late.

I personally don't care as I know the updates will fix things, but the masses may not see it that way.
    11-20-08 08:35 AM
    For the most part all the Storm reviews were on the earlier product with the older software. I know BB was updating all the handsets to the newer software just days before the launch. I went to my BB training for the storm and actually played with the my account reps and the scroll and touch were fast just like the Iphone. Also comparing a BB to an ipone is like comparing apples and oranges.
    11-20-08 08:37 AM
    Everyone keeps talking about the software revisions. Look, we all get it, the reviewers may have a gotten a storm with diff software then what we will get. But do you honestly think they made that much progress in a week or so? I dont, my guess is that the concerns that all of the reviewers had will be our concerns in the next few days.
    11-20-08 08:46 AM
    Remember, the almighty 'iPhone' has had it's bugs as well. Now, after two phone releases and some updates later the iPhone is now a stable device. I never went for the iPhone because of 1. Keyboard & 2. Not a true biz phone. These are the very reasons I am going for the Storm. The things the reviewers are criticizing can and will be corrected with an updated OS.

The more people that backs out means the shorter the line will be tomorrow.
    11-20-08 08:59 AM
    The problem is they are all comparing them to the iphone because the people reviewing them have the iphone. It is much different than the iphone and they are used to certain things that the storm doesnt
    This is a good point and I was actually thinking the same thing. If it was reversed and the storm came out first they would be bashing the Iphone.

The 2 phones function in very different ways. When you have used 1 type of touch screen for a year or so, you get used to the way it functions. If you switch to a different device it is going to seem not as good until you get used to the way it functions.

Also some of the complaints about the way the KB works make me laugh. The touch screen and the way it functions seems to be EXACTLY like the physical KB. For instance PCworld was complaining that you hit alt the number comes up, you hit the number then it goes back to the normal KB. OF COURSE IT DOES, that is the way BBs work. I am sure you can do a num lock the same as a physical KB but she did not take the time to figure it out. She just says it is not like the Iphone and moves on.

I don't want to get started on BGR since I can not stand the guy or his reviews but, he rambles on about it not supporting full 3g when on a non native network. OF COURSE! They want to bring people on to the VZW network so I think it is GREAT that VZW has the phone setup this way. Does Iphone suck because i can not use it on my CDMA network? Also he talks about needing wifi for data outages. I can not say these do not happen but I have personally never experienced one while on VZW.

Phonedog, I did not like his review either, though it was mostly positive. He rambles off about how he does not really like the KB or click screen in a side video after he unboxes the phone and bangs out some of the fastest typing we have seen. I don't get it?

Ok enough of my rant. In short I agree with the quoted comment
    11-20-08 09:16 AM
    Remember, the almighty 'iPhone' has had it's bugs as well. Now, after two phone releases and some updates later the iPhone is now a stable device. I never went for the iPhone because of 1. Keyboard & 2. Not a true biz phone. These are the very reasons I am going for the Storm. The things the reviewers are criticizing can and will be corrected with an updated OS.

The more people that backs out means the shorter the line will be tomorrow.

I agree totally. True BB users will understand these issues. People that think it is an iphone killer won't.
    11-20-08 09:17 AM
    i think the next update will bring the device to about 95%.... which will get most of the remaining bugs out.
    11-20-08 09:40 AM
    Tell that to AT&T! Seems like everyone has forget how crappy the Iphone was at release... dropped calls, mobile me did not work, crashes, quality issues etc.. etc...
    11-20-08 09:54 AM
    What concerns me is how many new users that have no interest in a BB or learning how it works will buy this phone. They won't have done their research, won't know how to upgrade their OS, optimize memory, etc.

Big props to the first time BB owners who've used this site to learn and do their research. However, there's gonna be a ton of high school and college kids who run out and buy the phone, have no idea it's capabilities, or how to optimize it to get the most out of it. They'll be frustrated with it, and hate it.

Just my two cents...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 10:06 AM
    I don't really care if its the iPhone killer. I don't even care if 300 million American's don't think its the iPhone killer. I only care that the problems with the phone are the SLIGHT laginess. I also only care that this SLIGHT laginess can also be fixed by software upgrades that I'm sure RIM is working diligently on. This isn't an MMORPG, who cares if half the people that would have never gotten a blackberry if it didn't have a touch screen don't get this? It won't affect the actual dedicated business users and programmers from realizing that this phone will only get better from .65. The same people that are on the site forming educated opinions about the phone, understanding that its problems aren't unfixable with a little time. (Probably less time than it took Apple to actually allow people to make phone calls from the iPhones lol)
    Last edited by S3th13; 11-20-08 at 10:15 AM.
    11-20-08 10:13 AM
    Played with the Storm for over an hour, here's what I found...http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/pho...-played-98125/
    11-20-08 10:16 AM
    30 day guarantee.... if u dont like it return it and use your old phone.
    11-20-08 10:20 AM
    First off let me say this - the Bold is an UNBELIEVABLE phone, albeit on a crappy network. I am a sales rep and receive around 40-50 business emails a day and we are required to have a Blackberry. I only send around 3-5 emails back a day as I am in my car most of the time and the responses are not time sensative.

I too have played with the Storm and have not been scared off by the reviews and I am still getting the phone tomorrow. However, I do agree with the Phonedog.com reviewer in that this IS NOT a power users Blackberry. Personally I hate using the scrollwheel to read a long email that has been forwarded 3 times before it got to me. The inside of my right thumb is raw from all of the scrolling I have to do. This is much simplified in the Storm with the swipe gestures. Power users are not going to be thrilled as the keyboard is not responsive enough to bang out 20 messages an hourly as quickly as they would like.

Again - the Bold is incredible but for the way I use a Blackberry the Storm makes more sense and it happens to be on a superior network.
    Last edited by redenfield; 11-20-08 at 10:28 AM.
    11-20-08 10:26 AM
    Well I have the Palm Treo 700w right now. I have been doing a lot of research on BB. I decided to go get the Curve but when I found out about the Storm I decided to wait. All the reviews are bogus. Of course there going to be negative, people just dont want to admit that the iphone is going down. The Storm does so much more then the iphone you can't even compare the 2. All I can say is don't listen to reviews and form your own impression. If you don't like it you have 30 days to return it. for something else. Just make sure it's not AT&T because I know for a fact that this network in SH&*.
    Last edited by nativeray911; 11-20-08 at 06:03 PM.
    11-20-08 10:36 AM
    iPhone killer .... doesn't matter. If I wanted an iPhone killer, I would just get an iPhone. I'm not a current BB user. I've always been turned off by the keyboard. I like touch screens. My Voyager aggravates me whenever I have to use the keyboard. The Storm has exceed all of my expectations with every review. It works. It has bugs. My Voyager has had 4 updates, each making it better then before. The Storm will have updates correcting some of the bugs it has.
    My concern is, does the phone work.... Yes. Will I be able to receive email ... Yes. Will I be able to go online .... Yes. Pretty much all the reviews have been good with these requirements. Screen a little slow? Have any of these reviewers seen the Voyager when it decides to go off into never never land? Applications being slow? Geez, what about the WM users, applications can be real slow sometimes. My Treo would put me to sleep sometimes.
    If people were expecting the perfect phone I am sure they will be disappointed. As for myself, I want a touch screen BB that works. The Storm fits the bill for me!
    11-20-08 10:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD