Ok - I know what I am about to say may seem silly but I will mention it for the fun of it.

It appears that the Storm will have the GPS activated for the third party apps. If this is not correct, you can stop here and disregard this post.

If it is true, would Verizon purposely not open the GPS on the existing models as an another incentive to switch to the Storm?
    10-24-08 05:26 PM
    Hey, it could happen.
    10-24-08 05:30 PM
    Sure, why not. It's a way to get more money. Especially if you have people that are like GPS addicts and NEED / WANT it but don't want to do another device to add to their BB in order to get it. You'll make / have people paying full retail for a phone that has unlocked GPS. It's a $$ thing and we know $$ is what makes the world go around!
    10-24-08 05:45 PM
    Yes, they could very well do this and I would expect nothing else. However, I've heard from numerous sources (posters, insider, whatever) that OS4.5 won't release for other BB on Verizon until after the Storm releases. With the release of OS4.5, they will retrofit the GPS capabilities of the Storm into the older handsets. Basically, aGPS for VZNav only, but standalone GPS for Blackberry Maps.

Also, I say the above just about BBMaps because everything I keep reading seems to steer the info that VZW didn't open GPS for "all apps", but rather just Blackberry Maps. I'm not sure this is 100%, just what I keep "reading between the lines". We'll have to wait for release to test other apps to be sure.
    10-24-08 07:05 PM
    I am with ya on that one JRSC...
    10-24-08 07:07 PM
    Yes, they could very well do this and I would expect nothing else. However, I've heard from numerous sources (posters, insider, whatever) that OS4.5 won't release for other BB on Verizon until after the Storm releases. With the release of OS4.5, they will retrofit the GPS capabilities of the Storm into the older handsets. Basically, aGPS for VZNav only, but standalone GPS for Blackberry Maps.

Also, I say the above just about BBMaps because everything I keep reading seems to steer the info that VZW didn't open GPS for "all apps", but rather just Blackberry Maps. I'm not sure this is 100%, just what I keep "reading between the lines". We'll have to wait for release to test other apps to be sure.
    I hope you are right and wrong - :P

Inn regards to unlocking it on the 8830 as I might not be able to get the Storm right when it comes out.

I hope you are wrong about locking it down to BB Maps. I would love to use BB Tracker - :P
    10-25-08 09:09 AM
    I would like to try one of the golf applications that uses the gps. I rather not carry a GPS puck. I guess we will see.
    10-25-08 12:09 PM
    If you have a VZ BB with GPS and subscribe to VZNav, YOU CAN use GolfTraxx on the device without the puck.

I would like to try one of the golf applications that uses the gps. I rather not carry a GPS puck. I guess we will see.
    10-26-08 03:28 PM
    If you have a VZ BB with GPS and subscribe to VZNav, YOU CAN use GolfTraxx on the device without the puck.
    No you can't! Stop spreading half truths. Some users report they can run VZNav in the background under "Follow me map" and have it work for other apps running at the same time, while others have reported that it doesn't work. Bottom line... it doens't work. If it's not reliable and consistant, then it's not something you want to push as the truth.
    10-26-08 04:56 PM
    The website does not show the blackberry as a supported model?
    10-26-08 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD