I know Pete has posted a bit on this generally. But specifically has anyone had any experience with using a faster speed (Storm comes with class 2) micro sd card? Did it speed up a laggy camera?

If no one has experience, what do you all think? At Newegg 8 gig sdhc class 6 is $15.00 delivered. Maybe its worth it just to experiment.

Newegg.com - Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model TS8GUSDHC6 - Flash Memory
    01-08-09 11:41 AM
    I really wish I knew the answer to that question. It has come up a few times before... and there was never any definitive answer as to whether or not the Storm's card slot could read faster than Class 2.

It would be an interesting experiment to try...
    01-08-09 11:49 AM
    As far as I know, the camera lag is in OS issue not a sd card issue tho I would be interested to hear what actually users of the class 6 have to say.
    01-08-09 11:51 AM
    The Storm can read faster then Class 2. But I saw no difference when watching a movie or listening to music using a class 4 and class 2 8gb.

Edit:Also putting the pictures to the phone instead of media card was slightly faster when saving the picture but thats it. Camera still had lag.
    01-08-09 11:52 AM
    For $14 or $15 delivered I think it may be worth a try. Has anyone tried changing saving pics from memory card to device to see if that speeds up the camera lag? I can't imagine even a cl 6 being faster than transferring data to the on-board memory. But I could be wrong.
    01-08-09 11:54 AM
    The Storm can read faster then Class 2. But I saw no difference when watching a movie or listening to music using a class 4 and class 2 8gb.

Edit:Also putting the pictures to the phone instead of media card was slightly faster when saving the picture but thats it. Camera still had lag.
    Ok answers some of my questions. My concern is not music or movies, but the camera lag. If it goes from 2.5 sec to snap picture to 1 sec than It would be well worth the investment.
    01-08-09 11:55 AM
    For $14 or $15 delivered I think it may be worth a try. Has anyone tried changing saving pics from memory card to device to see if that speeds up the camera lag? I can't imagine even a cl 6 being faster than transferring data to the on-board memory. But I could be wrong.
    From my experience, the lag happens before the pic is even saved. It happens when you press the 'shutter' and then it takes a few seconds to actually take the picture. The saving seems to happen pretty fast.
    01-08-09 11:58 AM
    From my experience, the lag happens before the pic is even saved. It happens when you press the 'shutter' and then it takes a few seconds to actually take the picture. The saving seems to happen pretty fast.
    Agreed Rooster. But I wasn't sure if I could trust what I was seeing was in-fact what was happening. That is, wasn't sure there was a background process(es) regarding checking space/ compatability on the sd card before taking the pic.
    01-08-09 12:02 PM
    In any BlackBerry a Class 2 card fulfils all neccessary functions, camera, record video, playback of all kinds.

Where a Class 4 or 6 card helps you out is when you are transferring stuff to and from the card from your PC. A Class 4 or 6 card will accomplish this much faster than a Class 2 card of equivalent size.

Have a look at my thread on microSD cards from the link in my signature. There is an explanation of the data rates of each Class of card there.
    01-08-09 12:07 PM
    You are right. The lag is not the card - well not much of it is card related.
    01-08-09 12:08 PM
    You are right. The lag is not the card - well not much of it is card related.
    I agree. Its the OS issue on the phone. Not a real super big deal though.
    01-08-09 12:19 PM
    I am using a Type 6 8 GB SDHC micro. I DO notice a difference in media playback with the faster card, whether it be audio or video. However, as far as I can tell, there is ZERO improvement in the camera function, except in playback of recorded video. For me, the major reason that I go to the faster speed media is not for use with the phone, but for when I backup the card to a PC, where the difference is extremely noticeable. That's my story and I am sticking to it! :-)
    01-08-09 03:54 PM
    I am using a Type 6 8 GB SDHC micro. I DO notice a difference in media playback with the faster card, whether it be audio or video. However, as far as I can tell, there is ZERO improvement in the camera function, except in playback of recorded video. For me, the major reason that I go to the faster speed media is not for use with the phone, but for when I backup the card to a PC, where the difference is extremely noticeable. That's my story and I am sticking to it! :-)
    I had wondered about video playback quality. Class 2 will do the job according to the specs just as Mrs. Pete6's Golf drives well on the freeway. I have a BMW 7 series and that does freeways much nicer and I guess that it is the same with a Class 6 card.

What you say about backups is just what I was referring to earlier.
    01-08-09 04:21 PM
    Yeah, id put money on the os being the culprit not the speed of the card.

That would be sooo cool if rim did a total make over on the os.
    01-08-09 05:13 PM
    Digital cameras generally have a small ram buffer that records the photo before it is written to the card. The size of the image (determined by your quality settings) is what determines how long it takes to write the data to the buffer. Some (not all) indicate writing the data to the card by a rapidly blinking LED after the photo is snapped.

As far as audio and video goes, it depends on the encoded bitrates, as well as finding a card that actually performs at the rated class specification (some cards say class 6 but actually perform somewhere between 2 and 4).
    01-08-09 11:25 PM
    Doubtful. From what I've seen, the lag on the camera is from the autofocus and prolly the white balancing.
    01-08-09 11:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD