I'm wondering why everyone is getting so excited about unlocking the Storm? I'm not knocking the idea, just curious.

On some level, I think it would be nice to get mine unlocked and at least have the freedom to pop in a cheap prepaid SIM when I'm abroad to make voice calls. But with the Storm, it's not that big a deal to me, and I travel to the EU a lot.

That's because this is primarily a data device, and you can't beat VZW's $20/month unlimited international data add-on. I can burn through more than $20 worth of EDGE data on a European prepaid card in a couple of days. And it looks like we'll get 3G data in at least some countries.

With the long reboot time of this phone, it would be far more practical to carry a cheap, small GSM phone for personal calls if I want to avoid VZW's rather unreasonable voice roaming rates than to swap SIMs for every call.

Again, I'm not knocking the idea. In fact, I'll probably get mine unlocked just in case. But while it was always important to me to unlock non-smartphones when I was with ATT, it's not as big a deal on a data device with VZW's sweet int'l data plan...am I missing something?
    12-02-08 12:43 AM
    Some people just enjoy the idea of being able to do what they choose with there phone I guess on whatever carrier.
    12-02-08 12:46 AM
    why buy a phone that you can't use to its fullest? I mean you dont have to unlock the phone to use out of country, well I dont! I will get a telus and I can take it with me to another country without getting it unlocked. it has the sim same as the world phone does. atleast that is the way the telus rep explained it to me. maybe im wrong but I'm not unlocking mine.
    12-02-08 12:47 AM
    Some people just enjoy the idea of being able to do what they choose with there phone I guess on whatever carrier.
    That's kinda what I thought, but was wondering whether maybe I was missing something.

Is anyone using their Storm on a domestic GSM net? It seems silly with the domestic EDGE limitation, but who knows..........
    12-02-08 01:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD