Heres a few reasons:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wip...l-75-a-118728/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/pro...g-83-a-118740/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/bricked-storm-118742/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/problem-new-os-118721/

All of these people with problems, and take a look at all of those with problems in the release threads. There is a reason the carrier issues the software. It's easier for the user, theres not as many problems, and the carrier is familiar with the software so they can help you if theres problems. But people want to upgrade and a lot of them don't know how. Heck some people are trying to install the OS for a 9530 on a 9500, when the damn file says specifically: 9530AllLang. It doesn't say: 9500/9530AllLang.
    But rest assured, they some people have royally screwed their phone up because of this beta. Someone has to pay for it to be fixed or replaced. It isn't you so you could care less.
    Theres a reason why things are like they are. Moreover, no company like it's unreleased SW to leak, for a myriad of reasons. And yes not everyone has problems loading software, but you can't pick and choose who gets it and who doesn't. So that's why RIM and the carriers don't want unreleased software to leak.
    12-19-08 04:39 AM
    case and point
    12-19-08 04:44 AM
    Exactly. Theres all these people who say why don't RIM just let us have it, blah blah blah, but their not the ones who will get flooded with calls today from bricked Storms, nor will they be the ones to pay when replacement units have to be shipped out because they can't tell it was bricked during upgrade to a beta until it gets back to the factory and is broken down. People are only concerned with themselves and that's it.
    12-19-08 04:51 AM
    ^^^ Exactly!! They don't care about the leak!! They just wan't to make sure that there is no security problems so it does not come back at them at customer service.
    12-19-08 04:58 AM
    ^^^ Exactly!! They don't care about the leak!! They just wan't to make sure that there is no security problems so it does not come back at them at customer service.
    No you missed the point. Yes the impact with returns is one thing. But no company wants unreleased software out to the masses. For proprietary reasons and others.
    12-19-08 05:10 AM
    Well unfortunately even with the "install at your own risk" people will still try it when some should just wait for the official. So yes I understand the dilemma. I actually did the update but I know how to "follow directions" and its pretty simple actually. Plus the un-official cant really be supported by the vendor.
    12-19-08 05:12 AM
    Well unfortunately even with the "install at your own risk" people will still try it when some should just wait for the official. So yes I understand the dilemma. I actually did the update but I know how to "follow directions" and its pretty simple actually.
    Correct. It is pretty simple, but theres always knuckle-heads out there. And again, it's not all about just the customer having something they shouldn't, but no company likes their unreleased SW out there.
    12-19-08 05:14 AM
    its guaranteed they dont want it out or it would be on there website.. for download..

truth is most the peoples so called bricked phones.. aren't really bricked and the bricked phone thought can happen on a regular official os as well..

They just are trying to do things that they don't have enough experience with yet..

most bricked blackberrys can be recovered pretty easily.
    12-19-08 05:33 AM
    All I know is I am waiting for the actual release just to be safe. My Storm is working fine on .75 and to be honest I am a bit scared to change anything right now
    12-19-08 05:42 AM
    I guess I will practice my zen-like patience and wait until they release it officially.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 06:42 AM
    Leaked .75, leaked .76, leaked .83 - no problems.
    12-19-08 06:49 AM
    I am not trying to turn you guys away from doing it ever.. I am just saying read up on what the device is and how to do things before you just click a button..
    12-19-08 06:49 AM
    Leaked .75, leaked .76, leaked .83 - no problems.
    lol. Gee thanks Capt. lol. j/p. I'm glad it's working out for ya.
    12-19-08 06:50 AM
    There would not be this big of a problem with people updating their storms, if Verizon/RIM (mostly Verizon, I know) did a better job and released the storm with better software.

People just want their phones to work correctly...
    Last edited by aghart; 12-19-08 at 07:03 AM.
    12-19-08 07:00 AM
    There would not be this big of a problem with people updating their storms, if Verizon/RIM (mostly Verizon, I know) did a better job and released the storm with better software.
    Nope, it's always been a problem and always will be. The overall number of Storm users who are updating their OS, is maybe 10% of all who actually own Storms. Yes, I agree the Storm should've shipped with better SW, but this problem will always exist.
    12-19-08 07:03 AM
    Nope, it's always been a problem and always will be. The overall number of Storm users who are updating their OS, is maybe 10% of all who actually own Storms. Yes, I agree the Storm should've shipped with better SW, but this problem will always exist.
    Yes, you are right, it will always exist. I thought you were implying that it is more widespread with the storm.
    12-19-08 07:05 AM
    Yes, you are right, it will always exist. I thought you were implying that it is more widespread with the storm.
    Ah, it doesn't matter what model device. Although, I do believe that Storm users on CB are pretty close to a majority behind the 83xx.
    12-19-08 07:07 AM
    Then don't start threads like the one yesterday talking about .83 and saving its going to be leaked soon just to build up excitement.

You aren't helping improving the situation. Besides, people know the risks when they dl leaked software. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out why carriers wait a while before officially releasing the update.
    12-19-08 07:07 AM
    Then don't start threads like the one yesterday talking about .83 and saving its going to be leaked soon just to build up excitement.

You aren't helping improving the situation. Besides, people know the risks when they dl leaked software. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out why carriers wait a while before officially releasing the update.
    I'll start whatever threads I please. I simply made the thread to keep people in the know about what's coming next. that has absolutely nothing to do with the SW getting leaked, and why they don't want it to.
    12-19-08 07:09 AM
    lol. Gee thanks Capt. lol. j/p. I'm glad it's working out for ya.
    Me too CX!!! I follow your instructions very carefully
    12-19-08 07:09 AM

Here we go again. OMG. If you don't want to install the OS, then don't install it.

Don't ruin it for those of us who DO want it.
    Last edited by GpCaptMandrake; 12-19-08 at 07:59 AM.
    12-19-08 07:13 AM
    I don't believe RIM (and similar companies) want their software released early. Certainly they are concerned with employees who leak internal information. However, there's no doubt RIM recognizes on some level that leaks help them to some degree: unofficial beta testers who can post their experiences with the leaked firmware here. Someone involved in RIM firmware development likely visits sites like this and gleans information that can help in firmware refinements and changes.
    12-19-08 07:22 AM
    The fact that this "leaked" software seems to be getting worse has been something I noticed for awhile now. With the massive number of new members who have no idea what they are doing we are seeing way more nuked phones and just general mayhem.. I come from a world that just so happens to let me get "inside" information and I havent even loaded the OS.. Yet I heard one of my techs tell someone to check crackberry for the update...

I don't want to see blackberry become a consistently updated device that is never "done" how many monthly updates did the 8700 go through? Get my point? I know Vzw pushed this phone hard and wanted to ensure that it was out for the holiday season but they should have let RIM perfect the OS first.
    12-19-08 07:26 AM
    I consider myself technical enough to be dangerous, which is exactly why I don't mess around with leaks.

I'll wait until it's officially released and enjoy the previews of what's to come from those of us who know what they are doing.
    12-19-08 07:27 AM
    I wonder how this stuff get's leaked in the first place? Actual RIM employee('s) who just feel the need to let it out, or is it getting stolen?
    12-19-08 07:33 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD