I have a storm which I got on black Friday. I think because it's an older hardware version the clicking on corners doesn't work well and it constantly freezes and doesn't register that I am touching the screen. I want to replace the hardware but I am currently running OS .85. Will Verizon replace it because its a hardware issue or do I have to load OS .75 on my phone before taking it to the store?

02-05-09 10:07 AM
    I have a storm which I got on black Friday. I think because it's an older hardware version the clicking on corners doesn't work well and it constantly freezes and doesn't register that I am touching the screen. I want to replace the hardware but I am currently running OS .85. Will Verizon replace it because its a hardware issue or do I have to load OS .75 on my phone before taking it to the store?

Load .75 and they'll do a swap. You have a 1 year hardware warranty. Chances are you'll have to wait while they mail you a new one though.
    02-05-09 10:09 AM
    VZW will not even check the OS, just return it!
    02-05-09 10:18 AM
    I had the screen click issue. I called VZW told them about the issue and it seemed like the guy was aware of the problem and he automatically told me i should get a new one today and just to send the old one back. With out me even requesting a new one. I had my phone since the 12th of Dec.
    Give them a call.
    02-05-09 10:20 AM
    NO, no, no, every rep I spoke on the phone and in person said that they are well aware of CB and all the betas. Loading a beta is altering the phone and this is a breach of contract and they will not accept the phone. If they do accept it they will look for signs of alterations and then charge you the full amount of the phone.

This is keeping me from loading any OS that are not from Verizon.

Food for thought.
    02-05-09 10:26 AM
    I loaded the new version and it worked better... I loaded it knowing that if I wanted to replace the phone I could always just reload the old version... the beauty of the internet
    02-05-09 10:27 AM
    Better safe than sorry.
    02-05-09 10:28 AM
    Do a complete wipe and then reload the ORIGINAL OS... Once that is done, do the wireless upgrade option and let the unit load .75 by itself...

You will be fine...

-Corey
    02-05-09 10:47 AM
    I thought people on here said loading a Beta was not a viloation of the warranty.
    02-05-09 10:50 AM
    i just got my new one from verizon... how many replacements will they give u, these screen click issues seem like a wear-and-tear issue... like they're repeating over time...
    02-05-09 10:50 AM
    Does anyone know where I can find the Original OS?
    02-05-09 10:52 AM
    i had the same issuse you need to reload the old os and you can return it.lucky the first verizon i saw rep told me go home and reload .75 because if you have the leaked os that hasn't been approved yet.can you say void
    02-05-09 10:54 AM
    VZW will not even check the OS, just return it!
    Not quite sure where you heard this information, they do check and they ask you to read the os version if you call. Also if you send it in, they will charge you retail price of the phone if it doesn't have a verizon released os on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 11:14 AM
    Has ANYONE actually been refused a replacement because of an unofficial OS? It seems as though many say it will be a problem, but has anyone actually been refused?
    02-05-09 11:20 AM
    I returned my first storm because of the click issue early in January. I had .85 loaded on the device. No questions were asked regarding the OS on the device, nor have I been charged full retail for the original device.
    02-05-09 11:21 AM
    Does anyone know where I can find the Original OS?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/al...7/#post1556639

All links for downgrading, upgrading, the works!
    02-05-09 11:22 AM
    I returned my first storm because of the click issue early in January. I had .85 loaded on the device. No questions were asked regarding the OS on the device, nor have I been charged full retail for the original device.
    Did you take it to a service center or did you send it in to verizon?
    02-05-09 11:24 AM
    They might check the OS, I suggest putting .75 on it before you return it. It's unlikely they will check to see if a beta was ever on the phone thou, so you are most likely safe. BUT it IS possible for them to tell what software has been on the phone.
    02-05-09 11:26 AM
    I've never used any leaks but when i called them on Tues. they never asked and just told me to send my old one back. IMO just to play it safe go back down to .75. That's is what i would do.
    02-05-09 11:29 AM
    I'm definitely going to play it safe and go to .75. I just can't find a safe link to download it from... Any suggestions???
    02-05-09 11:49 AM
    you should be able to just to to vzw website & grab 0.75 from there.
    02-05-09 12:02 PM
    BlackBerry® Software Updates
    Select your model
    Enter ur phone number
    Download

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 12:41 PM
    Worked like a charm... I'm calling Verizon right now. Thanks guys
    02-05-09 03:56 PM
    New BB storm is in the Mail... Hopefully this one will work well?
    02-05-09 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD