Maybe this is a stupid question, I dont know, but I have seen this work on other carriers with dual sim card slots. If i get a prepaid phone, will that sim card work in the storm as a second number? Will i need to have it unlocked first. Just thought this would be handy when I have to give out a number to "questionables"
    12-04-08 06:00 PM
    not sure. It is unlockable, but you have to redo the firmware and exclude a certain file to work for certain companies like t mobile and att
    12-04-08 06:07 PM
    i am curious too.

My friend went to europe recently and got a prepaid sim card and put it in an unlocked global phone.

he was able to make super cheap calls in country, receive free incoming calls from everywhere, and make super cheap calls back to the US. I think it was a major italian carrier he got the sim card from.

From verizon it costs WAY WAY more than the italian prepaid does. So it would suck if you cant.

Isnt this what the unlock code from verizon global services dept is for?
    12-04-08 06:09 PM
    yes it will work. last night i called vzw customer support and told them i was going to europe and had a simcard from a previous trip that i wanted to use (i dont) but they transferred me and told me the unlock process and my unlock code. I remember with the 8830 they were requiring that only people who bought out of contract were allowed to get an unlock code. I bought out of contract, they didnt ask, maybe they knew? maybe they don't care anymore. Today i tried it with an ATT sim card and it worked. Atleast the call worked. If you want to use it for the browser and data related items you're going to need the service books from the appropriate carrier. hope this helps!
    12-04-08 07:25 PM
    yes it will work with a prepaid sim there is a thread on how to get verizon to give you the unlock code.
    12-04-08 07:59 PM
    Yes, I have a TMO prepaid SIM in my Storm, and when I switch to GSM service, it uses it with out any problems. Obviously no data. LOL
    12-04-08 09:01 PM
    I just bought a unlocked cingular 8800 blackberry, i have a boost sim card will this work? Boost said something about the imei number should start with 00 or something? I really like this phone is there anyway to get around this? should i just put the sim in and see if it works? PLEASE HELP SAP
    07-14-09 06:21 PM
    i'm running a AT&T pre paid SIM in my storm, along w/ normal VZW service. there's even a window that pops up on my storm saying how much i just used, and how much i have left in my account
    07-14-09 08:23 PM
    I have a blackberry storm and i want to put Verizon inpulse prepaid on it; it says that internet browser is a dollar a day and Vcast but will the internet work on my phone seeing that i still have Verizon just its prepaid?
    08-01-09 12:18 PM
    I have a blackberry storm and i want to put Verizon inpulse prepaid on it; it says that internet browser is a dollar a day and Vcast but will the internet work on my phone seeing that i still have Verizon just its prepaid?
    What would be the point of this. You can't drop the Blackberry Service Plan (usually $30.00 a month) and use the inpulse prepaid. Not even one if the phones that support impulse. The only reason people put a different SIM into the phone is to A) go to a different carrier (other than Verizon) or B) Travel outside of Verizon's network (outside the US) and want to use a cheaper, prepaid sim card.
    08-01-09 01:45 PM
    thank you; so is there anyway i can have a prepaid blackberry storm with internet? & if so what would i have to do & what carry should i get?
    08-01-09 11:09 PM
    thank you; so is there anyway i can have a prepaid blackberry storm with internet? & if so what would i have to do & what carry should i get?
    I'm not sure, but some people here use Cricket pay-as-you go. Maybe do a search for it on the forums here or some can post up more info.
    08-01-09 11:20 PM
    i dont think its possible because of the way blackberrys use internet.

i have a att PPD sim card in my unlocked storm and it works fine when i switch back and forth, but i can only send texts and make phone calls, no pictures or internet
    08-01-09 11:33 PM
    If your phone is unlocked it MAY work, but I would have to believe you would loose all your functionality. Prepaids are for calls, therefore you would have no data support

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-09 03:32 AM
    it does work i bought an unlocked blackberry storm on ebay & have a prepaid tmobile sim card in it rite now =]
    08-07-09 04:39 PM
    it does work i bought an unlocked blackberry storm on ebay & have a prepaid tmobile sim card in it rite now =]
    with internet/email/etc?
    08-07-09 05:04 PM
    I just bought a unlocked cingular 8800 blackberry, i have a boost sim card will this work? Boost said something about the imei number should start with 00 or something? I really like this phone is there anyway to get around this? should i just put the sim in and see if it works? PLEASE HELP SAP
    Boost will not work because they are an IDEN network and the Storm is not IDEN capable, only CDMA and GSM.

Just one of the many reasons Nextel/Boost suck.
    08-07-09 05:08 PM
    does anyone know if i can use a prepaid boost mobile sim card in an unlocked storm? also boost mobile now offers the blackberry monthly unlimited plan so if i were to use that service would all features on the storm work?
    01-25-10 12:34 PM
    Someone answered right above you that it won't.
    01-25-10 03:16 PM
    yes it works fine with an unlocked storm. My storm is unlocked, i use a prepaid sim when going to mexico all the time.
    01-25-10 09:53 PM
    i am station in basrah iraq right now with my unlocked storm....i have a ZAIN IQ sim card <iraqi local cell phone company> it works here. no problems. i also use an att sim when in other countries. i activate my verizon data plan when in the states and use an att calling card for phone calls...call 1800 number for free and talk for 1cent a minute.....beat the system...
    02-15-10 07:56 AM
    yes it will work. last night i called vzw customer support and told them i was going to europe and had a simcard from a previous trip that i wanted to use (i dont) but they transferred me and told me the unlock process and my unlock code. I remember with the 8830 they were requiring that only people who bought out of contract were allowed to get an unlock code. I bought out of contract, they didnt ask, maybe they knew? maybe they don't care anymore. Today i tried it with an ATT sim card and it worked. Atleast the call worked. If you want to use it for the browser and data related items you're going to need the service books from the appropriate carrier. hope this helps!
    the phone i have is locked i put a att sim in it and it didnt work how can i get it unlocked with out the owners info and can i put at in it and it work?
    05-16-10 08:58 PM
    the phone i have is locked i put a att sim in it and it didnt work how can i get it unlocked with out the owners info and can i put at in it and it work?
    05-16-10 09:00 PM
    A storm can be used with any SIM card as long as the phone has already been unlocked. You can try asking your carrier for a free unlock code or purchase somewhere online. Check out the unlocking forum on here for some reputable unlockers. We can match any price and email you the code and instructions instantly if you would be interested in working together. PM me with any questions. Hope this helps!
    05-17-10 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD