Well for one thing the blackberry has all the basic apps for messaging and ims. Then you get the browser which you probably already enjoyed with the dare. Plus everything is super easy to use its like a mobile computer. Its hard to explain theres alot of pros and not very many cons for a blackberry.
    10-07-08 09:15 PM
    ive the voyager love except for the bugs dam rebooting crap and slow browser cant wait till they release the thunder with the slide out keyboard jk but we can dream looking at the keyboard it does look easy to type on the storm
    10-07-08 09:41 PM
    Well for one thing the blackberry has all the basic apps for messaging and ims. Then you get the browser which you probably already enjoyed with the dare. Plus everything is super easy to use its like a mobile computer. Its hard to explain theres alot of pros and not very many cons for a blackberry.
    It's actually more like a mobile dumb terminal, since a lot of it's services are proxy based. When the host server goes down, so does the dumb terminal... hence why you don't have web or email when RIM's network has issues. If it was closer to a mobile computer it would closely resemble the core designs of self-contained devices like a Palm or WinMo device or even an iPhone where the device simply depends upon the network/tower connection of the carrier and no further for it's core functionality to be sustained.

BTW, I'm not busting you out, but wanted to point this out because a lot of people don't know the behind the scenes of these devices and are sometime sold on improper descriptions/understandings of the technologies available to them.
    10-07-08 11:02 PM
    It's actually more like a mobile dumb terminal, since a lot of it's services are proxy based. When the host server goes down, so does the dumb terminal... hence why you don't have web or email when RIM's network has issues. If it was closer to a mobile computer it would closely resemble the core designs of self-contained devices like a Palm or WinMo device or even an iPhone where the device simply depends upon the network/tower connection of the carrier and no further for it's core functionality to be sustained.

BTW, I'm not busting you out, but wanted to point this out because a lot of people don't know the behind the scenes of these devices and are sometime sold on improper descriptions/understandings of the technologies available to them.
    Keep in mind that the server very rarely goes down.
    10-07-08 11:06 PM
    Keep in mind that the server very rarely goes down.
    OMG, no correcting! That's unlike you CX. While true "currently" we've all seen what happens when it does. I simply see it as a weakness. I want my terminator to continue to work even if Skynet goes down.
    10-08-08 12:20 AM
    This statement is only half true. Yes it is targeted towards multimedia users, at the same time BES is RIM's bread and butter and as much thought went into making this perfect for corporate America as multimedia users.

Whoa there little kid. You're parents should take the money they spend on your phone bill and buy you some manners. Furthermore, it's quite ignorant to ask people whom have never used the device in question such specific questions. Only you know what you like, so quit assuming other can read your mind. Although you age would certainly explain your indecisiveness. Not to mention your rudeness.
    My gosh, it was a joke.
    Family Guy.
    10-27-08 05:01 PM
    just curious, i know this is a blackberry forum but would you happen to know if the omnia would cost any extra a month?
    Well I did give my son my old Moto Q and I don't have a data plan with it.
    So u may be able to do the same with the Omnia; BB from my understanding there is now way around it. Also if u are able to use the Omnia w/o data plan make sure they block the access to the net because the per usage fee will be outrageous. But if they do it with the Q u should be able to do it with the Omnia.
    10-27-08 06:45 PM
    For non-Blackberry smartphones, Verizon offers a pay per KB option; however, this option is significantly more expensive than the pay per MB option they offer on standard phones - instead of $2.99 per MB, it's $0.015 per KB, which equates to around $15 per MB. So I would say don't pick that option unless you absolutely don't want to do anything involving the internet, app downloads, calendar/contacts synching, etc. at all on your phone.
    10-27-08 07:01 PM
    All I am saying is that this is a VERY advanced phone which will be A. expensive, and B. require a data plan. So really you are spending an extra $30 a month for a device that, from what it sounds, does way more than what you need. Just a different side to think about.
    Playing devils advocate:

i disagree. First off if they have already said they are touting this phone more for the general public. NOT just for professionals. And with the multimedia the phone has and the fact that they are comparing it to the iPhone(everyone including iPhone users). It makes perfect sense for anyone that was thinking about an iPhone to get this phone instead. And how may high schoolers have the iPhone quite a few that is part of the main market for it. Hence they are going to have to hit that market if they want to really be considered and sell enough to have high volume sales. And you have to have at&t data plan for the iPhone as well. As for the phone doing way more than he needs yes I agree with that but then again how many phones out there now days do more than what most people need? Using that logic you could say that a cell phone that does more than make an emergency call does more than what it was suppose to. After all that is were the first cell phones came from.
    Last edited by WG; 10-27-08 at 07:10 PM.
    10-27-08 07:06 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD