I believe that previous blackberry's from Verizon cannot, but I wasn't sure if there was anything different about the Storm that would accommodate V cast.
    09-18-08 05:01 PM
    I think they have a new thing where you just point the browser to m.vcast.com or a site similar to that and you can stream mthe VCast media for BB's now.
    09-18-08 05:08 PM
    I think they have a new thing where you just point the browser to m.vcast.com or a site similar to that and you can stream mthe VCast media for BB's now.

that's the way it is supposed to be now, indeed.
    09-18-08 05:16 PM
    As Toasty knows I just posted on Hofo that I believe the Storm will have a V cast option. Did anyone else notice the big V icon on the "brewninjas" video?? It's not on the GSM model, so I figure it's a Verizon thing.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 09-18-08 at 05:29 PM.
    09-18-08 05:24 PM
    Prey it doesn't because what's to stop Verizon from locking out all other media? lol The Storm will support the Rapsody thing the big V is trying to push currently. Here's hoping it won't play anything but music, video, and ringtones bought from Verizon's Rapsody online store... it's go really nice with the locked down GPS in it.
    09-18-08 08:15 PM
    So will it also support some sort of App store?
    09-19-08 08:22 AM
    Why do you need an app store from the carrier?
    09-19-08 08:47 AM
    Why do you need an app store from the carrier?
    Maybe the poster meant from RIM. I'm not sure though.
    09-19-08 08:50 AM
    Doubt it. There's plenty of app stores on the web for mobile stuff on BB. There's no need for one from the carrier. People asking for that kind of handholding from the carrier is what causes things like... locked GPS and music/ringtone lockouts to only what the carrier supplies for a price. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not being mean to the poster, just stating that the normal progression for the "carrier wanting to help the customer" is usually one of "hey, we can treat all our users like idiots and just sell them stuff they could have found on their own for free". Bottom line, there's always going to be a large number of people who need handholding and are willing to pay a price for it, but that should be a reason why everyone, including myself, should be forced to follow the same limited paths.
    09-19-08 08:55 AM
    Doubt it. There's plenty of app stores on the web for mobile stuff on BB. There's no need for one from the carrier. People asking for that kind of handholding from the carrier is what causes things like... locked GPS and music/ringtone lockouts to only what the carrier supplies for a price. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not being mean to the poster, just stating that the normal progression for the "carrier wanting to help the customer" is usually one of "hey, we can treat all our users like idiots and just sell them stuff they could have found on their own for free". Bottom line, there's always going to be a large number of people who need handholding and are willing to pay a price for it, but that should be a reason why everyone, including myself, should be forced to follow the same limited paths.
    I agree with you, but not because of the handholding aspect. VZW is a money grubbing carrier. They would implement an app store concept if for nothing else to make more money and further restrict your choices. VZW automatically includes a VCAST subscription when you buy/upgrade to a new VCAST capable device. You have to be savvy enough to know this is happening and just say no. Another example, which is really annoying, is the fact that users have to update the PRL themselves. This is really asinine. But, is a way VZW separates the watch dogs from the sheep.
    09-19-08 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD