Hello crackberry users abusers, and addicts!!.....Ok Question, i recently got my storm a couple of days ago. At work, i use Lotus Notes 8 for my emails that i use for work. I heard that if i were to setup my corporate email on my device using BES, Watever webpages that are blocked here at work will do the same on my device. Is this true? Also, Do i have to go trough BES to setup my work email using lotus notes? Appreciate any help!
    06-02-09 01:56 AM
    From my limited knowledge of BES that would make sense because technically you're accessing the Internet through their network so anything they block would be blocked on your phone as well. It would be something to clarify with them though too because they can probably change a lot of those settings.
    06-02-09 02:17 AM
    Not blocked if you select Internet Browser instead of BLACKBERRY browser - for me anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-09 02:23 AM
    From my limited knowledge of BES that would make sense because technically you're accessing the Internet through their network so anything they block would be blocked on your phone as well. It would be something to clarify with them though too because they can probably change a lot of those settings.
    hmmmmmm......so basically when you go trough BES, its like if the device was company issued then?
    06-02-09 02:38 AM
    hmmmmmm......so basically when you go trough BES, its like if the device was company issued then?
    Yes. If you are on a BES, your employer has the ability to control every aspect of your phone through an IT policy, whether you paid for the phone or your employer did.

An IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example.

IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.

You also have no right to privacy when using a BES Phone.

Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    06-02-09 05:55 AM
    Yes. If you are on a BES, your employer has the ability to control every aspect of your phone through an IT policy, whether you paid for the phone or your employer did.

An IT Policy is the way a company enforces its IT Security rules on BlackBerry's that have inside-the-firewall access. These devices have BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) accounts instead of the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) accounts that consumer users typically have.

BES users get over the air synching of their Calendar, Email, Address Book, Tasks, and Memos. In return, they accept that the company can monitor all their email, log their phone calls, and in general control every aspect of their phone: whether they can install apps, use the Media Card or Bluetooth, or access the internet, for example.

IT Policies can be very strict to benign. Mine, for example, only requires me to use a password and Content Protection and sets the max timeout to 30 minutes.

If you have an employer-provided phone, and attempt to remove the IT Policy, your attempt will be detected the next time you attempt to log on to the company servers, the IT policy will be pushed back on your phone, and you could face severe disciplinary consequences for violating security.

You also have no right to privacy when using a BES Phone.

Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ
    WOOOOWWWWW now i have a wayy better understandment of BES, and will NOT opt to get my corporate email on my personal blackberry. I sure as heck like privacy! Thank you!
    06-02-09 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD