Did you try calling the manufacturer to see if they know if it's supported..

I can see this guys frustration because people ask questions and almost always do they get people telling to search etc..
    12-29-08 09:08 AM
    Of course it will work richtree! I don't know why everybody else didn't realize the genius in your plan! You obviously know more than everybody else, seeing how your profile has you listed as a seasoned Storm user. You can probably figure out how to update the driver for compatibility by yourself. Only a complete imbecile couldn't figure out how to make it work!!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-29-08 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Way too much sarcasm
    12-29-08 09:10 AM
    Did you try calling the manufacturer to see if they know if it's supported..

I can see this guys frustration because people ask questions and almost always do they get people telling to search etc..
    Yeah, but actually nobody suggested that. I can understand the OP's frustruation to an extent -- he didn't ask anyone to chime in about why the Storm doesn't need wifi, that's just people who want to hear themselves talk -- but he needs to realize that this is just an enthusiast's forum ... it's no better than a rumor mill in most cases and shouldn't be expected to provide any kind of authoritative answers to technical questions.
    12-29-08 09:11 AM
    I have to agree with the OP. Some of you are completely out of hand. He asked for an answer, if you can't provide it, don't respond. However - to the OP, I realize its frustrating, but none would be responding if they didn't WANT to help. They do want to help, we all want to help each other.

Sorry you could not get a definitive answer here. Certainly not one you wanted to hear. I like the sound and promise of the product as well. If you buy it please post an answer to your question, as I too am interested if you could get it to work with the Storm's OS.
    12-29-08 09:12 AM
    There have been definitive answers posted, and for several reasons. BBs do not support MicroSDIO, and even if SOME did, Verizon specifically requested NO WiFi on the Storm.
    12-29-08 09:16 AM
    you'll be needing drivers that currently don't exist, so unless you have lots of money to blow with that real job of yours to contract a software developer or two to write some drivers RQ, be ready to wait a while for them.. or a 9520..whichever suits you

to the last poster... yes verizon said no to wi-fi.. that doesn't mean you can't get it externally. verizon also once upon a time didn't let you load your own ringtones and music so they could charge you outrageous $2-4 fees PER ringtone... but people still found their way around it.
    12-29-08 09:21 AM
    Not to add to the frustration, however from the manufacture site...

OS Support

Windows Mobile 5.0 / 6.0

�s�W��*�1

So the Blackberry OS doesnt support it, and it wont work.

I will admit, neat idea though. It would be awesome if they could incorporate the ability to work with Blackberry's, and also add some memory to it, and still fit in the expansion slot with the batt cover...

BTW - the above link is to the manufacture site, but a lot of it is in Chinese...
    12-29-08 09:24 AM
    The Storm's Micro SD slot does not support SDIO as others have noted. This is not a software/OS issue, this is a hardware issue. The card will fit, but the ability to send input/output signals does not exist, this is different from memory storage signals.

In short - sorry. No wifi work around here.
    12-29-08 09:30 AM
    you'll be needing drivers that currently don't exist, so unless you have lots of money to blow with that real job of yours to contract a software developer or two to write some drivers RQ, be ready to wait a while for them.. or a 9520..whichever suits you

to the last poster... yes verizon said no to wi-fi.. that doesn't mean you can't get it externally. verizon also once upon a time didn't let you load your own ringtones and music so they could charge you outrageous $2-4 fees PER ringtone... but people still found their way around it.
    I agree that they did block ringtones before, but they did not remove them completely from the OS. The WiFi is the same as the GPS before. If it is blocked or restricted at the firmware/OS level, then good luck finding a way around it. If WiFi isnt in the OS at all, you would have to completely rewrite the OS to allow it, something that hasnt been done. It is a lot more than just drivers.
    12-29-08 09:30 AM
    will this work

Micro-SDIO Wi-Fi card - Community. Gadget Live! GadgetLive.com

if not , why not......

I want wifi on my storm.....I don't care about memory or any other questions except getting speedy wifi on the storm under verizon....

can this work ., and how., or why not...

thank you to everyone really tries to help out there !!

-richtree
    As has been said, this card manufacturer currently does not support the BlackBerry. Why this is I cannot say. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact the vendor and ask them if/when they plan to support the BlackBerry platform.

If you feel that this could be a solution for you then have a look at some of the other WiFi microSD form factor vendors and ask them directly.

Given some of the responses that you have alrrady had, this may be a better way to aproach the problem.

This has come up before in other forums (Search and see) and to date, a working solution has not been forthcoming.

I hope that this helps.
    12-29-08 09:40 AM
    I agree that they did block ringtones before, but they did not remove them completely from the OS. The WiFi is the same as the GPS before. If it is blocked or restricted at the firmware/OS level, then good luck finding a way around it. If WiFi isnt in the OS at all, you would have to completely rewrite the OS to allow it, something that hasnt been done. It is a lot more than just drivers.
    wi-fi isnt in the phone at all though. what the poster was talking about is a wi-fi chip, not something that magically 'enables the storm's wi-fi' its the same as the external GPS units people used to have. verizon can disable things that are in the phone, but i doubt they would go out of their way to basically 'ban' other things.
    12-29-08 09:41 AM
    pete thank you !!!!

can you please close thread or delete.....

thanks
    12-29-08 09:41 AM
    mkilla...130 bucks isn't that expensive if you have a real job and I didn't ask your opinion about price..
    Wow, didnt realize you knew everything bout me, however your wrong, i do have a real job and i was just giving you my two cents on if it would be worth it to buy it and try it, for 130 bucks i myself dont think it would be.

If you dont want anyones opinion then dont post anything and just go out and buy the damn thing and try it, and if its works then YOU can tell us if you wasted your money or not.
    12-29-08 09:43 AM
    the size of the card looks fine to me....can't the drivers be updated for the storm ?
    Hey, that wifi card will not work on the Storm. The makers did not make it compatible with any Blackberry's. I'm sorry if you feel like you're getting attacked by people on this forum, it's just that you're not accepting the answers alot of us are giving you. The repeated questions of "why why why not", should be directed to the makers of the wifi card not readers of this forum. We just know what we see from their site and it says no, so that's the message we're relaying to you.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to put this thread to rest.
    12-29-08 09:48 AM
    again and again...this will go on forever....

pls delete thread ...
    12-29-08 10:33 AM
    That thing is about 130 bucks i believe!! is that worth it?
    seriously, is that really going to break your bank buddy? lol
    12-29-08 11:53 AM
    pete thank you !!!!

can you please close thread or delete.....

thanks
    Threads that offer no content will be deleted. I have edited out the worst of the rudeness and this thread can now be closed at the OP's request.

Let me direct you to this thread, please read and consider this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...lution-118095/
    12-29-08 12:01 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD