Sorry for my ignorance but I was wondering if achieving wi-fi with the storm is possible via software or hardware.

Thanks.
    12-02-08 03:25 AM
    there is a sd card that has wifi built in that might work .. not sure though.
    12-02-08 03:26 AM
    I don't think its an sdio card. Even if it were I've not seen Micro sd wifi. Even still yet installing it behind the metal back without proper planning for an antenna would be very poor at best!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 03:34 AM
    ^^^ only one I have seen to be a possibility is

�s�W��*�1

but if you look at the supported os...

and looking at the slot I am wondering how well it would actually fit

Edit: the link is not a bad link no clue why its showing up so weird..
    12-02-08 03:38 AM
    So the hardware is sorta an "Antennae" for the storm? I remember reading a thread a few weeks ago saying that BB was including wi-fi in the update but it was a hoax.

But would be it possible for someone to tweak the software or whatever?
    12-02-08 03:51 AM
    It's pretty close to impossible. If wifi is a must-have for you, then you don't want this phone.

The Storm lacks the physical hardware for wifi; no software patch can correct this.

Although there currently is a wifi SD card, that won't work for three reasons. First, it's an SD card, not a micro-SD card. It's far too large and won't fit. Second, all it does is provide for wireless uploading of pictures (it's intended to go in a camera) and does not provide general internet connectivity. And, finally, as was mentioned, even if someone built a micro-SD wifi *modem* designed specifically for the storm (and provided the software on the storm to use it), the card would be sandwiched between the metal backplate and the main circuit card, where it would get horrible reception.

Bottom line: Someone has to manufacture a micro-SD sized wifi modem, produce the correct software, and sell it with a replacement plastic backplate for this to be possible. And I'm far from certain that you even could use a modem properly in the micro-SD slot. It might not even be possible.

Possible? Maybe. Likely? Not at all.
    12-02-08 05:02 AM
    So the hardware is sorta an "Antennae" for the storm? I remember reading a thread a few weeks ago saying that BB was including wi-fi in the update but it was a hoax.

But would be it possible for someone to tweak the software or whatever?
    the guy was just joking, i read it too and laughed, i even replied....you'll learn, lots of smart @$$'s here
    12-02-08 05:06 AM
    It's pretty close to impossible. If wifi is a must-have for you, then you don't want this phone.

The Storm lacks the physical hardware for wifi; no software patch can correct this.

Although there currently is a wifi SD card, that won't work for three reasons. First, it's an SD card, not a micro-SD card. It's far too large and won't fit. Second, all it does is provide for wireless uploading of pictures (it's intended to go in a camera) and does not provide general internet connectivity. And, finally, as was mentioned, even if someone built a micro-SD wifi *modem* designed specifically for the storm (and provided the software on the storm to use it), the card would be sandwiched between the metal backplate and the main circuit card, where it would get horrible reception.

Bottom line: Someone has to manufacture a micro-SD sized wifi modem, produce the correct software, and sell it with a replacement plastic backplate for this to be possible. And I'm far from certain that you even could use a modem properly in the micro-SD slot. It might not even be possible.

Possible? Maybe. Likely? Not at all.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply with your explanation. Oh well, no wifi... but at least it doesn't take two full seconds for the accelerometer to kick in.
    12-02-08 10:55 AM
    the guy was just joking, i read it too and laughed, i even replied....you'll learn, lots of smart @$$'s here
    I was being hopeful.
    12-02-08 10:56 AM
    Seems to me that it would be possible for a small external Wi-Fi adapter to be made that would link in through the USB port...perhaps it could even plug in to the USB directly and snap onto the Storm somehow so there is no cable. I imagine there could also be a pass-thru that would allow you to charge the phone at the same time. I think it's just a matter of someone developing it.
    12-02-08 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD