Just as the title states, it takes 15-20 minutes for me to get my emails pushed to my phone. Every OS I have run has this issue. I am running .103 now. Im setup to my Gmail account.

My wife has a Curve setup the EXACT same way and she gets her FAST, like before they even hit gmail on the computer. I have re-send my service books and still nothing. Battery pulls dont fix it.

ANY idea's??
    02-12-09 10:11 AM
    You're not alone. Same issues happen with my storm.

Interestingly enough, same goes for text messages with my phone...
    02-12-09 10:14 AM
    You're not alone. Same issues happen with my storm.

Interestingly enough, same goes for text messages with my phone...
    Same here, I cant even get text messages with picture attachments from people that are not on Verizon.
    02-12-09 10:15 AM
    same here man... my g/f has a storm and she gets her instant, but mine take forever if i even get them. And now my asterisk letting me know when i get an email is not showing up. Any help on that? It works on the message thing but not emails.
    02-12-09 10:16 AM
    same here man... my g/f has a storm and she gets her instant, but mine take forever if i even get them. And now my asterisk letting me know when i get an email is not showing up. Any help on that? It works on the message thing but not emails.
    I want to say it some setting someplace that's holding us back, but I cant seem to find it for the life of me!
    02-12-09 10:24 AM
    when sitting at my desk at work i get my email notification on my storm faster than my computer registers it.

using .75 with gmail
    02-12-09 10:42 AM
    mine not only takes a long time to get to the phone, but sometimes they'll come 3-4 backed up messages at a time.
    02-12-09 10:53 AM
    And now my asterisk letting me know when i get an email is not showing up. Any help on that? It works on the message thing but not emails.
    Have you checked your settings? If you open the email app, go BBmenu>options>General Options>Display New Message Indicator...it should be set to 'Yes'
    02-12-09 11:00 AM
    I've noticed every once in a while that my messages will get backed up but a majority of the time my Gmail messages reach my Storm before they reach Outlook on my laptop.

Honestly, I've only noticed the backups late at night or in the middle of the night (2 - 4 am). After that time frame (like I said) my Storm picks them up faster than Outlook.
    02-12-09 11:01 AM
    mine not only takes a long time to get to the phone, but sometimes they'll come 3-4 backed up messages at a time.
    I get the same thing...silence, then several buzzes in a row with new emails.
    02-12-09 11:01 AM
    It is the way the software is deigned.

You aren't so much as connecting to your email account is your phone is going out and grabbing it... In this case your blackberry is just a location where messages are forwarded to.

When you have something that works like this it runs in batches. So you could get a bunch of mail in at once, and have to wait... or you could get 3 messages in, in the span of 15 minutes, and the storm, or other bb device is going to get those messages all at once. This is also why you are perceiving mail getting to your bb before your inbox, or email program (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc..)

A lot of other mail programs that do fundamentally the same thing as the bb email client have a "fetch" function, that basically allows you to go get the mail from your inbox without having to wait. I haven't found any setting like that in the software though, so you may just have to wait. Remember, the blackberry is NOT an inbox. It is basically a location that mail is forwarded to.

The reason the messages could be showing up faster is that you are viewing your mail through a web page. The page itself my not get updated fast enough to see what messages are actually in there. This does happen to me from time to time as well, I don't know if I actually get it "Faster" but it is on the storm at roughly the same time it is in my gmail account, or my work email account. It is hard to say, since I don't know exactly how google runs their mail servers.

It wont ever be perfect, but there may be a mail setting that changed the "fetch" speed of the software some place. Where it would be... I don't have a clue.
    02-12-09 11:03 AM
    It is the way the software is deigned.

You aren't so much as connecting to your email account is your phone is going out and grabbing it... In this case your blackberry is just a location where messages are forwarded to.

When you have something that works like this it runs in batches. So you could get a bunch of mail in at once, and have to wait... or you could get 3 messages in, in the span of 15 minutes, and the storm, or other bb device is going to get those messages all at once. This is also why you are perceiving mail getting to your bb before your inbox, or email program (Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc..)

A lot of other mail programs that do fundamentally the same thing as the bb email client have a "fetch" function, that basically allows you to go get the mail from your inbox without having to wait. I haven't found any setting like that in the software though, so you may just have to wait. Remember, the blackberry is NOT an inbox. It is basically a location that mail is forwarded to.

The reason the messages could be showing up faster is that you are viewing your mail through a web page. The page itself my not get updated fast enough to see what messages are actually in there. This does happen to me from time to time as well, I don't know if I actually get it "Faster" but it is on the storm at roughly the same time it is in my gmail account, or my work email account. It is hard to say, since I don't know exactly how google runs their mail servers.

It wont ever be perfect, but there may be a mail setting that changed the "fetch" speed of the software some place. Where it would be... I don't have a clue.
    Good post. It seems a lot of people view BlackBerry as another instance of their mailbox, but BlackBerry is just meant to extend the ability to receive and respond to received emails. However, if you have correctly configured gmail then you should get nearly instant delivery of mail. To the OP, I would delete the mail accounts, resend the service books, add them again, and resend the service books a second time. I've got my gmail setup with IMAP and I consistenly get email within five seconds of delivery. Go here if you're setting up gmail.
    02-12-09 11:13 AM
    I may be wrong, but my understanding is the speed of your mail may also be related to whether you use a BE service or a BI service.

I have a BE service, my email gets to my blackberry as fast or faster than to my PC's email client.
    02-12-09 11:17 AM
    From their configuration descriptions and how it works they are definitely running an pop account. IMAP may be faster for them then POP, however the user should be warned that an IMAP account forces consistency across all mail viewing locations... Web mail, mail software, and your blackberry.

Good call Marcus, I kind of left that part out.
    02-12-09 12:13 PM
    The interesting thing is that when I used POP3 for gmail I still got instant delivery, but POP3 can't sync read and unread messages so that was the reason why I setup IMAP when google implemented IMAP Idle. So, it doesn't really make sense why the delivery is so slow, but hopefully readding the account will fix it.
    02-12-09 02:00 PM
    when sitting at my desk at work i get my email notification on my storm faster than my computer registers it.

using .75 with gmail
    Same here. I'm on BIS, not BES.
    Last edited by donheff; 02-13-09 at 08:20 AM.
    02-13-09 08:18 AM
    Okay, really. this is BS. I set up my MobileMe (mac mail) on my Blackberry just fine - sending is okay. However, receiving email takes ages. I thought this was a business phone? I love everything else about it, but I have an iPhone for work and that gets it immediately. I can't even "reconcile now" to get new messages. That does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions..? I dread the day when I don't have my iPhone and I am mobile and am waiting on a sensitive email. How is this okay?

thanks for any tips
    04-13-10 01:55 AM
    lmao...this thread is over 1 year old!

to answer your question though, its the way your email interacts with RIM. Some email providers take longer than others. my hotmail and gmail are instant but my work has maybe a 10-15 minute delay. Its a problem on mobileme side not BB for the most part
    04-13-10 02:10 AM
    Okay, really. this is BS. I set up my MobileMe (mac mail) on my Blackberry just fine - sending is okay. However, receiving email takes ages. I thought this was a business phone? I love everything else about it, but I have an iPhone for work and that gets it immediately. I can't even "reconcile now" to get new messages. That does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions..? I dread the day when I don't have my iPhone and I am mobile and am waiting on a sensitive email. How is this okay?

thanks for any tips
    Mobile Me is probably optimized for your iPhone, since it's a Mac service that is supposed to be used within the Mac "cloud" for lack of a better term. Could be a cause for a delay in it on your BB.
    04-13-10 08:36 AM
    I used to get my emails through Earthlink on my Blackberry 8330 and they were INSTANT. I mean faster to my BB than to my computer by a couple of minutes !!!!

Now I have gMail supposedly pushed to my iPhone and it takes 4 - 10 MINUTES every single test I run.

I need to get emails from work instantly ... any suggestions?
    10-19-11 11:58 AM
    I have been having this issue as of late and the OFFICIAL word from Blackberry tech support (After a total of 5 hours on the phone with them, no kidding) is that you have to enable IMPA Idle at your mail server. If you know how to do that, DO it. If you DON'T know how to do it, talk to your local tech guy, or any 5 year old off the street. They'll probably know. (Don't ask a teenager... they just THINK they know everything!)

Good luck!
    10-24-11 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD