Honestly it is much nicer to sit on the couch and us a little handheld for browsing quickly rather than a desktop or laptop.

It would be cool for apps and internet radio as well. Verizon does limit you to 5gb a month and with streaming music it can add up quick.

Most people want a device that can do alot more than what the Storm offers in internet browsing. The browser on the iPhone crushes the Storm any day of the week. Even with Bolt or Opera on the Storm it can't compare to the smoothness of Safari.
    04-11-09 11:28 PM
    Honestly it is much nicer to sit on the couch and us a little handheld for browsing quickly rather than a desktop or laptop.

It would be cool for apps and internet radio as well. Verizon does limit you to 5gb a month and with streaming music it can add up quick.

Most people want a device that can do alot more than what the Storm offers in internet browsing. The browser on the iPhone crushes the Storm any day of the week. Even with Bolt or Opera on the Storm it can't compare to the smoothness of Safari.
    For the 95236855698th time, there is no cap on data used on the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 11:50 PM
    Reminder not everyone has a Laptop, so I for instance would benefit from being able to access the faster speed of WI-fi while I am monitoring My son during his Bath time.
    04-12-09 08:21 AM
    I don't get what the big deal is in having WIFI. If your home you have your computer. I don't use my phone to go online. The only time I use the internet on my phone is when I can't get to my comp. How many places have WIFI connection anyway? So to me it doesn't matter either or I would never use it anyways.
    So people can have yet another reason to complain about why their battery life supposedly sucks.
    04-12-09 08:44 AM
    it would actually be nice to have wifi, for instance when you are on a business trip abroad. you should not pay exorbitant data roaming fees so long as your hotel has wifi...
    04-12-09 08:54 AM
    it would actually be nice to have wifi, for instance when you are on a business trip abroad. you should not pay exorbitant data roaming fees so long as your hotel has wifi...
    good point. if i traveled outside the US more often that'd be something to consider. inside, im okay without it. if im at a place with wi-fi, chances are i'll have my laptop with me. and for those rare occasions, im okay with evdo rev. a.
    04-12-09 09:17 AM
    I don't get what the big deal is in having WIFI. If your home you have your computer. I don't use my phone to go online. The only time I use the internet on my phone is when I can't get to my comp. How many places have WIFI connection anyway? So to me it doesn't matter either or I would never use it anyways.
    Despite the fact that wifi would be free it is basically in place for the inferior service providers whose network deficiencies do not allow their devices to work nationwide. My Verizon works pretty much anywhere so I don't need wifi. If I end up needing wifi I just use my laptop. Wifi is also not as secure.
    04-12-09 09:35 AM
    That's why you unlock your phone. Buy a local sim for wherever you're going and pay that rate. Verizon's roaming rate is piracy.
    04-12-09 09:37 AM
    1. wifi is now available on some planes, thus you dont have to be disconnected while traveling
    2. basements of offices/houses/friends houses. i dont get a verizon signal in my friend's basement theater and would like to still have a working phone
    3. apps that require wifi like streaming video/tv
    4. traveling to other countries and being able to use data for free at your hotel/resort/etc. buying a sim with a data plan is very expensive.
    5. connection to home network for file transfers, also my ipod touch works as a remote control for my PC since they are on the same network
    6. simultaneous voice and data
    7. takes the load off verizon's network
    8. faster
    04-12-09 10:04 AM
    Wifi gets you data for free

non wifi means you pay for it
    well what if you pay for wifi? Is that still data for free. There are not many places that have wifi for free.
    04-12-09 10:13 AM
    1. wifi is now available on some planes, thus you dont have to be disconnected while traveling
    2. basements of offices/houses/friends houses. i dont get a verizon signal in my friend's basement theater and would like to still have a working phone
    3. apps that require wifi like streaming video/tv
    4. traveling to other countries and being able to use data for free at your hotel/resort/etc. buying a sim with a data plan is very expensive.
    5. connection to home network for file transfers, also my ipod touch works as a remote control for my PC since they are on the same network
    6. simultaneous voice and data
    7. takes the load off verizon's network
    8. faster
    Then why did you get the Storm? Its not like they said it had wifi and then you bought it and it didn't. It doesn't make sense when people gripe about the Storm not having wifi, then don't get the Storm.
    04-12-09 10:16 AM
    i didnt say it was a dealbreaker. i can list my what-ifs and wants. someone asked why a person would want wifi. those are the reasons i'd want wi-fi. people look at this as a this-or-that thing where you either love everything about the phone or you return it. makes no sense
    04-13-09 09:44 PM
    as far as i'm concerned wi-fi will be a moot point with LTE anyway, until then i have no need for it, but most corporate users like it for access to local networks, etc...
    04-13-09 10:02 PM
    I love my UMA when available. Starbucks, the mall, The Tmo store...those my hangouts. I'm UMA all day and have 2.7g speed...Caffiene and UMA. thats a good morning.
    04-13-09 10:08 PM
    as far as i'm concerned wi-fi will be a moot point with LTE anyway, until then i have no need for it, but most corporate users like it for access to local networks, etc...
    yeah until there is a good VPN client... then wifi seems like a good plan
    04-13-09 10:43 PM
    I agree with the OP. First of all, public WiFi is NOT SAFE. Ask your IT security guy in your company and he can fill you in on how vulnerable public WiFi is. As a matter of fact, our company discourages employees to use public WiFi. That's why all company laptops come with a Verizon Wireless aircard.

When I am at home or in the office where "secured" WiFi are available, I would rather use my laptops. When we attend meetings in the office, everybody brings their laptops. You won't look very good in front of the executives if you are trying to use your mobile phones in meetings.

Therefore, this WiFi thing is really a moot point in my humble opinion.

That is true on a laptop computer but hacking into someones BB on a public wifi connection is a lot different. The chances of that happening are slim to none i believe.

Wasn't there a recent conference where some of the best hackers in the world came together to hack the iphone, bb and android os with no success?
    04-13-09 10:54 PM
    Forget about using the wifi to get to the internet.

Wifi on a cell phone can open up opportunities for *local* based apps. One of the killer apps here of course is a wireless, portable file server. The idea of "mapping a drive" to my Storm would be awesome. iPhone users already have a choice of apps that do this.
    04-13-09 11:34 PM
    my 3G data is unlimited so i care not for boggy battery draining wifi.
    04-13-09 11:45 PM
    Here is the real reason wifi is being added. IMO. Bluetooth 3.0 will utilize wifi to transfer files faster.
    There is an article about it on engadget if you want more details.

04-13-09 11:55 PM
    Ill think about it on my next phone. I never used wifi on my previous devices. I don't use wifi at home, and the device speed is still slower than the 3G connection, so there is no use yet. The 60KB/s I am getting off Vodacom is good enough for me.

Im sure theres a reason wifi wasnt included, and Im sure this reason will surface once it's introduced on the Storm
    Interference/Noise, GPS and so on, comes to mind
    04-14-09 01:43 AM
    Why would I want WiFi? There are several very good reasons:
    1-Have you ever tried to download an Audible book to your Storm over EV-DO? Essentially, you can't. The download is too big and would take too long anyway. 2-Same thing for PodCasts. 3-If you have WiFi you can use your Storm to remote to servers inside your firewall that you can't otherwise reach with EV-DO. It really helps with quickly troubleshooting problems. 4-When traveling International, I do use my phone for voice calls, but I don't use it for email/Internet because it is just too expensive. However, my hotels always have WiFi access and I could do both this way. I was always able to do that with a WinMo phone. 5-Streaming Media Center TV and other Audio-Visual media at home. 6-If your Storm had WiFi, you could use software to set it up as a temp WiFi Access Point and share your Ev-DO connection with several folks, say a group of colleagues waiting for a flight in the airport. Honestly, the list could go on and on. Don't be so parochial as to think that just because YOU can't think of a use one doesn't exist.
    04-14-09 12:36 PM
    Wifi is much faster for Internet Browsing than 3G, no other more complicated reason needed.
    04-14-09 12:45 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD