I just have a simple question. Why did RIM decide to put 128 mb or app space on the storm instead of 256 mb? Im not complaining cuz i love my phone i've just been reading around and figured why couldn't they have done this? Maybe it would of cost to much or something i dont know. What do you guys think?
    08-14-09 09:18 AM
    When the storm came out it was the first CDMA phone to have that much memory. Honestly, when managed properly its more then enough for most users. They were trying to appeal to the masses and they had to keep the cost down and make it so everyone could afford it, so I am sure that had something to do with it. Also they knew included an 8gb card with it for storage, just sadly at this time you cant load apps from the memory card.
    08-14-09 09:22 AM
    Yeah I totally love the 8 gig that came with the phone!! Highest flashcard to come pre installed in a phone yet. I totally agree its more than enough memory as well. Good post dude
    08-14-09 09:26 AM
    Most likely a "hindsight is 20/20" sort of thing, although it seems pretty simple now. The Tour apparently does have a larger application memory partition, so at least RIM is learning from their mistakes.

Thing is, with a flaw-free OS and a "modest" amount of apps, 128MB really is plenty of app memory--but simply provides almost no more for any considerable "scalability", which is really just poor planning, IMO.
    08-14-09 09:28 AM
    Also you have to think, you cant come out with your highest memory and your first touch screen. Whats the appeal to the next phone. So they in essence have to do something for marketing purpose so that each model is progressively better.
    08-14-09 09:32 AM
    I agree you can get by with 128 but its still stupid! 256 should have been the standard. The 8 GB SD card was standard on VZW, other vendors didnt include it though. They just had the built in 1 GB to store stuff. RIM dropped the ball in that dept i think.
    08-14-09 09:37 AM
    Also you have to think, you cant come out with your highest memory and your first touch screen. Whats the appeal to the next phone. So they in essence have to do something for marketing purpose so that each model is progressively better.
    Even higher resolution and memory

yay 100 posts
    08-14-09 09:38 AM
    Yeah but for a CDMA berry it was already a big improvement, so why would they go ahead and give you EVERYTHING all at once? Doesnt seem to me like a smart marketing choice.

And yes, plenty of people with the storm utilize it for what its worth, but think of all the people out there that just wanted something "like the iphone" (go ahead and flame) and arent utilizing any of the internal memory besides what was loaded already.
    08-14-09 09:39 AM
    Yeah but for a CDMA berry it was already a big improvement, so why would they go ahead and give you EVERYTHING all at once? Doesnt seem to me like a smart marketing choice.

And yes, plenty of people with the storm utilize it for what its worth, but think of all the people out there that just wanted something "like the iphone" (go ahead and flame) and arent utilizing any of the internal memory besides what was loaded already.
    No flame coming, we hate it as much as you do
    08-14-09 09:41 AM
    Pretty much as has been stated:

1)It was an upgrade over the previous CDMA phones, as the Tour is an upgrade over its previous phones. It was the best at the time, but newer phones have come out since then, so of course they'll be better.

2) Cost, it costs money to put that memory in there, you can't just load it up with the best of everything and keep the cost down. 8 months later it was more economically feasible to put 256MB of memory in the phone (tour), vs. 8 months before (storm).
    08-14-09 10:45 AM
    "Real estate" both on the chips that make up the phone and on the circuit board.
    Power consumption - memory, even flash, eats batteries for lunch.
    Heat - memory, and all circuitry, produces heat - which decreases longevity, ...
    And the above, correct at the time, marketing decisions.
    Other rational engineering factors played into the decision. ("I think they should have" was not one of the factors...)
    08-14-09 11:09 AM
    I'm not buying any of these arguments. The physical, electrical, and financial differences of putting 256MB instead of 128MB are all negligible (and were 8 months ago too). Having said that, I'm fine with the 128 I have.

The real problem is that we can't run apps off the media card. I sure hope that functionality rolls out soon (either in a new OS if possible, or a new device).
    08-14-09 11:42 AM
    I'm not sure about the logistics of having increased memory on the device as far as hardware and software components are concerned, but I've always assumed that the 128MB is partitioned portion of the device's total memory--so increasing that partition to 256MB would really only decrease the amount of storage memory on the device. In other words, I don't think "cost" is really an issue in this case, because it's not like you need to "add" memory, just re-allocate what's already there.

then again, I could be viewing this all wrong.
    08-14-09 03:48 PM
    Faster, Better, Cheaper. Pick any two...
    (And realize that the choices you make will be deemed wrong...)
    08-14-09 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD