I keep dragging mp3's and video files to my blackberry but they won't show up when I try to listen/view them on the phone. WTF???!!!

I've done multiple battery pulls with no luck. I can drag jpg's to the phone from my laptop with no problem, but it won't recognize ringtones or videos. And yes these are correctly formatted; in fact some of them were on my phone a couple weeks ago but I had deleted them. When I connect the phone to my laptop, they are showing as being on the phone in the correct folders. Any ideas??? I hate this .83 so far!!
    12-20-08 11:49 AM
    rebooted again and now I got the "media card inserted" then locked up Verizon screen. Now rebooting again. This is my last day to return it on my 30 day trial and I'm getting reallllly close to taking it back.
    12-20-08 12:00 PM
    Had the same thing happen...WTF! Had to take media card out and start up without then plugged media card in. Very weird I got the Verizon screen and it locked up would do anything then did a battery pull and said media card inserted and locked up again. Pull battery and start without media card. then insert once stable...weird bug.
    12-20-08 12:08 PM
    Does yours work now?

I just pulled the batt, then the media card, then put them both back in. Phone fired up and gave me the "Media Card Inserted" then locked on the Verizon screen. I pulled the batt again. If I can't get this I'm just gonna return the whole phone and get my money back. This GD phone should never have been released with all of its problems!!!!!
    12-20-08 12:18 PM
    Now it just keeps locking everytime I do a battery pull. I can't do anything with it now.
    12-20-08 12:22 PM
    Does yours work now?

I just pulled the batt, then the media card, then put them both back in. Phone fired up and gave me the "Media Card Inserted" then locked on the Verizon screen. I pulled the batt again. If I can't get this I'm just gonna return the whole phone and get my money back. This GD phone should never have been released with all of its problems!!!!!
    I can't help but LoLoL at this to be honest. Why don't you re read the post right above you one more time.
    12-20-08 12:25 PM
    [QUOTE=dcoy82;1227019]I can't help but LoLoL at this to be honest. Why don't you re read the post right above you one more time.[/QUOTE

LOL LOL LOL, the post right above gave you the answer to fix the issue.
    12-20-08 12:33 PM
    I followed his instructions and now I can get the phone to at least turn on and not lock, but still won't let me drag files onto the media card...any ideas???
    12-20-08 12:34 PM
    I followed his instructions and now I can get the phone to at least turn on and not lock, but still won't let me drag files onto the media card...any ideas???
    Is your mass storage mode enabled? I'm not having any issues dragging files on and off my mem card and I'm using .83.
    12-20-08 12:39 PM
    Maybe you should go back to the firmware that you were using before. All you beta testers make me laugh, blame the GD phone because YOU loaded a firmware that wasn't officially released by Verizon or RIM.

Sorry to be blunt

As far as your problem goes make sure you have Mass Storage mode enabled.
    12-20-08 12:40 PM
    It's enabled. This is what I don't get...I can drag jpg's over and they work fine, but if I drag video's or mp3's they won't show up on the phone itself. If I check the Storm's folder from my laptop explorer window, the files are there. ????
    12-20-08 12:47 PM
    Maybe you should go back to the firmware that you were using before. All you beta testers make me laugh, blame the GD phone because YOU loaded a firmware that wasn't officially released by Verizon or RIM.

Sorry to be blunt

As far as your problem goes make sure you have Mass Storage mode enabled.
    I would have to agree with you. Why would you take the risk of upgrading to a "beta" version when all there is is patience? Just be patient and sooner or later, when the bugs are fixed, everything will work out just fine. I'm not willing to take the risk after reading what the beta testers have said...
    12-20-08 12:52 PM
    It's enabled. This is what I don't get...I can drag jpg's over and they work fine, but if I drag video's or mp3's they won't show up on the phone itself. If I check the Storm's folder from my laptop explorer window, the files are there. ????
    After you disconnect the cable from your phone go back in and disable Mass Storage again and see if the file is there.
    12-20-08 12:57 PM
    Does the Storm have Media / Explore? That is the native file manager on the other BlackBerrys.

You can use it to view and open files in both device and media memory.
    12-20-08 12:58 PM
    You should have you phone setup to Prompt you every time you plug your phone in to enabla mass storage. If you Keep it enabled all the time you may not be able to see the files that you put on the phone.
    12-20-08 12:59 PM
    You should have you phone setup to Prompt you every time you plug your phone in to enabla mass storage. If you Keep it enabled all the time you may not be able to see the files that you put on the phone.
    I'm wiping and reinstalling .83 to see what happens. Then I'll try what you and the posters above suggested.

I've always kept mass storage enabled before and never had a problem. Just curious why now it might be an issue?

Thanks for the help. Just get SUPER PISSED when I can't get things to work. If all else fails I'll just have to go back to .75 and hope that the official release later on will work for me.
    12-20-08 01:11 PM
    I'm wiping and reinstalling .83 to see what happens. Then I'll try what you and the posters above suggested.

I've always kept mass storage enabled before and never had a problem. Just curious why now it might be an issue?

Thanks for the help. Just get SUPER PISSED when I can't get things to work. If all else fails I'll just have to go back to .75 and hope that the official release later on will work for me.
    Much better attitude, thank you
    12-20-08 01:18 PM
    After you disconnect the cable from your phone go back in and disable Mass Storage again and see if the file is there.
    Tried it and no files...
    12-20-08 01:39 PM
    Does the Storm have Media / Explore? That is the native file manager on the other BlackBerrys.

You can use it to view and open files in both device and media memory.
    I did this and the files are now showing from the "Explore" screen. They will play too but when I go back into the "media" folder, then select "ringtones" folder they are not there. How do I get them to show up? They are not marked "hidden"...???

Now I noticed that 2 of the 8 files I had dragged over are now showing up in the media/ringtones where they're supposed to. But the other 6 are still not showing up. If I go to Explore they are there, but otherwise they don't show up.
    Last edited by CFD323; 12-20-08 at 01:47 PM.
    12-20-08 01:43 PM
    I did this and the files are now showing from the "Explore" screen. They will play too but when I go back into the "media" folder, then select "ringtones" folder they are not there. How do I get them to show up? They are not marked "hidden"...???
    They have to be in the ringtones folder on your device for them to show up in the ringtones folder. That is why they are not showing up when you goto ringtones. If you have them stored on your media card you'll have to navigate to Media to find them.
    12-20-08 01:47 PM
    They have to be in the ringtones folder on your device for them to show up in the ringtones folder. That is why they are not showing up when you goto ringtones. If you have them stored on your media card you'll have to navigate to Media to find them.
    But when I go to the ringtones folder for the device, there is nothing listed. I've never put my ringtones on the device. I always just drag them to my card's ringtones folder and when I pull up ringtones in the Media folder, they're all listed there. Not sure why only some show now? Everything is the same except for updating from .75 to .83 yesterday. Maybe it's just a bug that I'm getting, although you'd think it would affect others.

So if I took the ringtones that wouldn't show up in Media/my ringtones and used the Explore function to move them from the Media Card to Device Memory/Ringtones, then they show up and work. Just that now they are on the device's memory as opposed to being on my media card. It's a workaround for now but I still would like to know why it's doing this? Never done it before. And to add more confusion to this, I deleted one of my media card-stored ringtones so that it was no longer on my phone or card. I then hooked the phone back to my laptop and proceeded to drag the ringtone that I had just deleted back to my phone. Disconnected from pc, opened up the Media/ringtones/my ringtones folder and there's that song I just dragged over. Why does this work with this song but not others? I've gotta call this a bug right??
    Last edited by CFD323; 12-20-08 at 02:10 PM.
    12-20-08 01:53 PM
    phew glad i always wait for official OS updates and dont mess around with leaks ever.........
    12-20-08 01:56 PM
    Make sure you reset all of the memory settings

Seems as though a couple of changes with .83 had to do with the memory card.
    12-20-08 01:59 PM
    phew glad i always wait for official OS updates and dont mess around with leaks ever.........
    Yeah but according to Crucial (who is pretty damn good with info), the official .83 OS that is supposed to come out next week, will be the EXACT same OS as this leaked one. If that's the case, then I'd be in the same boat. Just surprised at this point that others aren't having problems.
    12-20-08 02:02 PM
    Make sure you reset all of the memory settings

Seems as though a couple of changes with .83 had to do with the memory card.
    Yeah that's how mine was. I changed it to prompt me when going into mass storage mode to see if it would make a diff, but it didn't so I set it back.
    12-20-08 02:03 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD