I haven't had a love hate relationship like this since my college girlfriend!!!

I love the storm's screen, functionality, etc. but I just want it to WORK!!!!

I am running the officially authorized .75 upgrade. I am annoyed (to say the least) that Verizon hasn't been providing a steady stream of upgrades to keep the users happy and try to ebb the tide of returned units... Especially with a solid .76 that people seam to like. I don't want to upgrade if Verizon isn't offering it.

Does anyone know when the next upgrade by Verizon is going to be released? And will it actually FIX the damn phone so it works?

I am at the point where I don't know what to do... The other BB's offered by Verizon are ancient in comparison. I would LOVE a Bold but I can't switch to ATT&T since my whole family (immediate and extended) is on Verizon and I need the free mobile to mobile.

The Curve is not 3G, the 8703e (my last BB) doesn't have a tenth of the functionality of the Storm, and I don't think the 8830 has any advantage over the 8703e other then newer styling and world function (which I don't need). I want a full QWERTY so the Pearl is out.

So I am left with a phone that's awesome and terrible all at the same time.

Sigh.

-Matt
    12-11-08 02:14 PM
    there is no set date, there were some posts that they anticipate the next update at the end of the month, but who knows,

its all speculation at this point
    12-11-08 02:18 PM
    hopefully soon i hope ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 02:19 PM
    software updates (especially for VZW) do not come that frequently. They jsut came out with the last update. It will be a little while before another. Maybe you should take yours to get looked at. Mine works great and it switches from landscape to portrait (and vice versa) quickly all the time. And everything else is working flawlessly. Mine and my wife's are working great without any of the problems others are having.
    12-11-08 02:21 PM
    when talking to bb reps about this past update they stated that the storm is rims "crown jewel" and there will definetelely be several updates to follow, they just dont know when. their goal is to perfect the phone.
    12-11-08 02:23 PM
    They have a LONG way to go. I know some of your phones work great all the time, but not all of them.

It needs to be 100% consistent that EVERY Storm is flawless.

Issues:
    1) My screen has less excursion on the left then right in landscape mode which makes me miss letters with the left thumb sometimes because it doesn't click.
    2) My phone just whites out part or all of the screen and freezes intermittently.
    3) The keyboard will just vanish while I am typing.
    4) The screen will freeze when going from landscape to portrait when I go from my horizontal holster to my face and then I can't answer the phone since it's frozen.
    5) I keep hitting buttons with my cheek while I'm on a call and it turns on MUTE or turns on the SpeakerPhone.

Those are the big complaints.

I LOVE the concept and I love the phone. The clickable keyboard is amazing and when it works, it's perfect and I can type very quickly.

I just want the thing to work...
    12-11-08 02:34 PM
    It seems pretty clear you have never done any kind of software development. If you had, you would understand how it is a very slow and tedious process. You make a few changes to the code, spend a lot of time waiting for it to compile into a workable program, then you have to test things out on some sort of an emulator (for embedded platforms like cell phones) and if things look good there then you load it onto a test unit and make sure it behaves as expected when on actual hardware. If there's a problem and the new code doesn't work properly, then you have to go back and try to fix the problem and repeat the whole process. Otherwise, you move on to the next issue and repeat the whole process.

Combine this with the fact that RIM only has a finite number of developers, and they aren't slave laborers or machines that work 24/7...

They are undoubtedly working on it, but it's only been about 4 weeks since the phone was released. My last phone, an LG Dare, took close to 6 months for the first update to appear. Some phones may never see firmware updates.

Give it some time. Given how heavily this phone was marketed, I'm sure they are devoting the majority of their resources to it, but RIM does still have phones such as the Bold, Javelin, and Pearl Flip to support. I imagine they are still supporting the Curve and Pearl as well, though in a backburner kind of capacity. I know most of us here are of the generation that grew up with things like fast food, cable TV, and the Internet, which have completely shattered our attention spans, but give it some time. I doubt anyone questions whether or not RIM is working on it as we speak, but it is going to take time. So you need to make a decision about whether or not you're willing to wait it out or not. If not, then I would suggest you start looking for a replacement sooner rather than later.
    12-11-08 02:56 PM
    It seems pretty clear you have never done any kind of software development. If you had, you would understand how it is a very slow and tedious process. You make a few changes to the code, spend a lot of time waiting for it to compile into a workable program, then you have to test things out on some sort of an emulator (for embedded platforms like cell phones) and if things look good there then you load it onto a test unit and make sure it behaves as expected when on actual hardware. If there's a problem and the new code doesn't work properly, then you have to go back and try to fix the problem and repeat the whole process. Otherwise, you move on to the next issue and repeat the whole process.

Combine this with the fact that RIM only has a finite number of developers, and they aren't slave laborers or machines that work 24/7...

They are undoubtedly working on it, but it's only been about 4 weeks since the phone was released. My last phone, an LG Dare, took close to 6 months for the first update to appear. Some phones may never see firmware updates.

Give it some time. Given how heavily this phone was marketed, I'm sure they are devoting the majority of their resources to it, but RIM does still have phones such as the Bold, Javelin, and Pearl Flip to support. I imagine they are still supporting the Curve and Pearl as well, though in a backburner kind of capacity. I know most of us here are of the generation that grew up with things like fast food, cable TV, and the Internet, which have completely shattered our attention spans, but give it some time. I doubt anyone questions whether or not RIM is working on it as we speak, but it is going to take time. So you need to make a decision about whether or not you're willing to wait it out or not. If not, then I would suggest you start looking for a replacement sooner rather than later.
    Nicely put
    12-11-08 02:59 PM
    im running .76 and haven't had any real issues except my phone reset itself one time after the install. I did a battery pull for 30 seconds and haven't had any real issues with my phone. Did delete allot of unnecessary apps which also helped with over all performance. Only real disappointment is the Media Player and the Camera...(not that great considering its 3.2mega pix and its awfully slow)
    12-11-08 03:00 PM
    Most likely Verizon will offer a .8x update and never even offer the .76 version.
    12-11-08 03:24 PM
    The only complaint is that the phone just runs slowly. Every morning before I head out I do softreset and such to smooth things out, but opening applications/menus is still quite slow.
    12-11-08 03:26 PM
    I had the Dare as well. The Dare was seamless and never had a single issue while I owned it. I can imagine it would take 6 months to find enough wrong with it to justify an upgrade.

The Storm never should have been released. It needed WAY more testing. I do expect that if Verizon and RIM chose to release it that they should have people working (not the same people, but a team) working around the clock to provide a software package that works as it should.

I know it's harsh, but how would you feel if you bought a car and it had the same level of issues the Storm has???

As I said, I love the phone. I just expect it to work as it should. It is clear from the # of units being returned that they rushed this puppy to the door.

I am within my 30 days and may still return it. I just keep hoping it will get better. I know it will be perfect eventually. I just don't kow if I am the one to wait until it is...
    12-11-08 03:34 PM
    I had the Dare as well. The Dare was seamless and never had a single issue while I owned it. I can imagine it would take 6 months to find enough wrong with it to justify an upgrade.

The Storm never should have been released. It needed WAY more testing. I do expect that if Verizon and RIM chose to release it that they should have people working (not the same people, but a team) working around the clock to provide a software package that works as it should.

I know it's harsh, but how would you feel if you bought a car and it had the same level of issues the Storm has???

As I said, I love the phone. I just expect it to work as it should. It is clear from the # of units being returned that they rushed this puppy to the door.

I am within my 30 days and may still return it. I just keep hoping it will get better. I know it will be perfect eventually. I just don't kow if I am the one to wait until it is...
    The Dare had loads of Bluetooth issues with the V03 firmware, and still does with V05 last I checked, plus the touch screen was a bit finicky at best. Of course the point was mostly to show that the Storm has already gotten an update while other phones may take months to get an update, if indeed they EVER get an update at all.

Could the Storm have used some additional development time? Absolutely. Of course if Verizon had delayed the launch another couple of months, then everyone would be complaining about that, and I'm sure there was a big financial incentive to try and get the thing out for the holiday shopping season. No matter what Verizon did however, they were looking at a no-win scenario. Either release a somewhat buggy phone now and be inundated with complaints about it or wait and be smeared by the mobile press for delaying the launch.

Either way, it all comes down to the same choice that everyone needs to make for him/herself: Am I willing to wait for RIM to fix the software? If you're not, don't waste your time whining about how bad the Storm is, go find something that works for you now.
    12-11-08 03:52 PM
    I am unsure of an official date, but the date I remember reading here on the forums was Dec 22nd... So in Verizon lingo, expect it by Jan 1st!
    12-11-08 03:54 PM
    Hey Matt,

All I can really tell you is dont give up yet it will get worked out. Making this thing work flawlessly every time is a tall order, no phone does and def. no smart phone (yes that means the iphone is not 100% consistant either).

As for upgrades .75, .76, and .78 are all offical OS releases from Rim the only diffrence is big red didnt push it to you OWA. They all work just fine on the phone so dont be afraid to try .76 or .78 as they are offical from RIM and what is offical from big red comes offical from RIM first. VZW didnt even change the .75 release. Also there is rumors of a .100 as well so ther eis more coming down the road.

Dont be afraid to get it looked at either or get a replacment unit you paid the money dont accept a phone that you feel is not up to par. Keep stoping by and reading and working and learning and it will work out alright.

On a side note there is the Omniva now if you really feel uncomfortable with the storm. But I have heard much worse about the Omniva than the Storm.
    12-11-08 04:05 PM
    Does anyone know of a phone that has complete blackberry functionality, a real keyboard, storms touch screen, the iPhone's appstore and seamless interface, and works on Verizon? Oh, and I'd like the battery to keep the phone for 3 days without charging since I'm asking for the uber-phone anyway...

:-)
    12-11-08 04:07 PM
    I had an 8600 and it was terrible. I know the Omnia is supposed to be better, but I don't like Microsoft's operating system. Blackberry is way better for what I need.

I'll hunker down and stop complaining. I promise... ;-}
    12-11-08 04:11 PM
    The Dare had loads of Bluetooth issues with the V03 firmware, and still does with V05 last I checked, plus the touch screen was a bit finicky at best. Of course the point was mostly to show that the Storm has already gotten an update while other phones may take months to get an update, if indeed they EVER get an update at all.

Could the Storm have used some additional development time? Absolutely. Of course if Verizon had delayed the launch another couple of months, then everyone would be complaining about that, and I'm sure there was a big financial incentive to try and get the thing out for the holiday shopping season. No matter what Verizon did however, they were looking at a no-win scenario. Either release a somewhat buggy phone now and be inundated with complaints about it or wait and be smeared by the mobile press for delaying the launch.

Either way, it all comes down to the same choice that everyone needs to make for him/herself: Am I willing to wait for RIM to fix the software? If you're not, don't waste your time whining about how bad the Storm is, go find something that works for you now.

AGREED 100% i had the dare b4 i got the storm and i could not get the damn bluetooth to work properly. in 3 weeks time, i went through 2 dares and 5 bluetooth headsets and i kept repeatedly cutting out like crazy. what a pain in the a$$ it was. so i returned it. accoding to verizon they had a lot of complaints about this. also, the touch screen did suck, u had to hit it in a certain part of the screen in order to to accidentely click on something when trying to move up or down..
    12-11-08 04:14 PM
    there is no set date, there were some posts that they anticipate the next update at the end of the month, but who knows,

its all speculation at this point

I talked to someone from CS and they said that the next update will sometime in Feb
    I love the phone but had to call them and have them send me a new it shut off 2X's today and then the touch is acthing up. . . . .
    I still have my curve but don't want to go back to that
    12-11-08 04:41 PM
    My dare actually never had a problem. Blue tooth turned on and off in the car at it's leisure (very annoying), but the touch screen worked flawlessly. I liked the phone as a phone, but it didn't do anything else I needed it to.

I replaced my BB 8703e with the 8600 (what a BAD move!!!). I hated the 8600 and moved to a Dare (should have just pulled back out my trusty old 8703e). Now I'm back with BB and won't leave again.

I really hope it's not February before Big Red released their next formal upgrade. I'll definitely look to other countries upgrades by then if that's the case...
    12-11-08 08:39 PM
    The part below is the part I was referring to. I admit, maybe I'm being a little sensitive, especially since it wasn't directed at me. I just feel bad for all the noobs who are still getting use to things here and get a little put down for not being as technically minded as some are on here.

It seems pretty clear you have never done any kind of software development. If you had, you would understand how it is a very slow and tedious process.

[COLOR="Magenta"]I'm sorry but you have come off very condescending and as if you expect that just because someone owns a BB they should be tech savvy and damn it, why don't we understand software development? This is suppose to be an informative place and one where we can come ask questions without worry of someone calling us ignorant for it. I have seen so many posts where someone asks a question that may have been asked before or just seems too basic and they get jumped for it. I am really disappointed! My understanding is that this is a general forum for the 9530. Maybe a forum should be created, if there isn't one already, for those that are more technical minded so those who aren't won't be such a bother.
    Last edited by Tawnia Homar; 12-11-08 at 09:13 PM.
    12-11-08 08:43 PM
    I talked to a tech support agent this afternoon who said to expect updates every couple of weeks
    12-11-08 08:44 PM
    The next software upgrade will be when everyone on the forums stops asking when will the next upgrade be.

12-11-08 08:45 PM

I don't think it was condescending at all! It was very informative and extremely well-said.
    12-11-08 08:57 PM
    We all have to remember that this is RIM first touch screen blackberry so there is going to be hiccups along the way so we should all be patient and see how RIM works this out.

12-11-08 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD