okay this morning i wake up and i take the charge cord out my storm and its cuts completely off and when i put the cord back in it goes to the white screen with a battery and a lightning bolt on it. The weird thing is when I took it out the charge it had full battery and when i take it out it has no battery. I took it to the verizon store and he was like the the charge hole is broken and it is a fru charge is 19.99. what is a fru charge?

i have insurance and why do i have to pay for a fee
    07-13-09 10:59 AM
    You do realize if you replace the phone using your insurance, it will cost you $50.00. I think I would opt for the $19.99 charge.

FRU - factory replacement unit.
    07-13-09 11:18 AM
    Your phone may be broken, and it may not be. I'd guess I've seen maybe 20 or more threads on this subject. You might wan to try searching and see if you can find any other resolutions. Here's one way someone fixed this:

I found this post from someone else...

Take the battery out of the phone, plug the wall charger into the Storm then into the wall, you should get a battery icon indicating the battery is missing. Once you see that icon, place the battery back in while the charger is still plugged into the phone and plugged into the wall. It should start charging, then put the back back on.
    07-13-09 11:21 AM
    why are they charging me if i have insurance..shouldnt they hand me a refurb in the store for free
    07-13-09 12:08 PM
    Your phone may be broken, and it may not be. I'd guess I've seen maybe 20 or more threads on this subject. You might wan to try searching and see if you can find any other resolutions. Here's one way someone fixed this:

I found this post from someone else...

Take the battery out of the phone, plug the wall charger into the Storm then into the wall, you should get a battery icon indicating the battery is missing. Once you see that icon, place the battery back in while the charger is still plugged into the phone and plugged into the wall. It should start charging, then put the back back on.
    what did u search undre
    07-13-09 12:16 PM
    okay this morning i wake up and i take the charge cord out my storm and its cuts completely off and when i put the cord back in it goes to the white screen with a battery and a lightning bolt on it. The weird thing is when I took it out the charge it had full battery and when i take it out it has no battery. I took it to the verizon store and he was like the the charge hole is broken and it is a fru charge is 19.99. what is a fru charge?

i have insurance and why do i have to pay for a fee
    If the unit is broken then bypass a Verizon store. In fact, any opportunity you can to bypass a Verizon store, you should do so. Instead, call your support line at Verizon and they will send you a new Storm for free. Just make sure you send the broken one back to them.
    07-13-09 12:24 PM
    what did u search undre
    Are you kidding?

Try:
    "phone wont charge"
    "charger not working"
    "battery dead"
    07-13-09 12:49 PM
    In regards to the search, if you'll be more descriptive in your thread title, it helps everyone later on when someone is searching for similar problems. Instead of "What's up with my phone" you might try something like "Why wont my phone charge?". This not only helps everyone that searches for problems later, but it also helps you get a quicker answer. Someone scrolling through recent post might see that more descriptive title and think..."I know how to fix that."
    07-13-09 01:04 PM
    FYI - Warranty replacement is typically free.
    Insurance replacement always has a Deductible when you file a claim, along with your monthly fee (which I why I never get insurance).
    07-13-09 01:21 PM
    The insurance is a scam in my eyes. I had it on a phone once and it got wet and didnt work fully. I called up to get it replaced and they said they couldnt replace it because it got wet. I asked what was covered under insurance and the rep told me just about anything but water. So I said if I had dropped my phone you'd replace it? The rep said yes, so I said hold on and turned the speakerphone on and slammed it against the wall. I asked if they had heard that noise, the rep said yes, I said well that was the sound of my phone hitting the wall, its in about 10 pieces, will you replace it now? Oddly enough the answer was yes once the rep stopped laughing.

Do the math, verizon charges $15 a month for full coverage, phone, charger, etc. $15x24 month contract +$50 deductable= a used one for a **** of a lot cheaper on ebay.
    07-13-09 02:10 PM
    how old is your phone? They have to replace it for FREE if it is still under the 1 year warranty, ask them about it or just call up Verizon and tell them to send you a replacement, it worked for me.
    07-13-09 02:43 PM
    Insurance is by a third party Asurion. NOT VERIZON. So if you're looking to do a claim in store, they won't. Factory Replacements are a shortcut between you and the manufacturer. Instead of going through RIM you go through Verizon because they have them on hand. If you send it to RIM, it takes weeks to receive one back. You have a factory warranty of 1 year. Therefore it's free. UNLESS you are going to an authorized dealer, they can charge whatever they want. Best idea is to call because not all corporate stores have advanced device replacements on hand.
    07-13-09 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD