How does the storms hardware compare to that of the Iphones? The iphone and other more graphically enhanced phones are silky smooth. Everything about the storms graphics are choppy choppy choppy.

Is this bad programming on RIM's part or is that phone just not up to par with hardware gfx?
    04-17-09 11:20 AM
    The hardware on the storm is quite good, probably better than the Iphone in most cases. The user interface is just getting up to par though. If you get .122 from bell you'll likely find it much more comparable to the IPhone than the official release from your carrier.

There is still work to be done on the OS, but I think .122 is an acceptable level at this point. Its definitely not an Iphone destroyer, but its not the laughing stock.
    04-17-09 11:24 AM
    Yah i'm running .122 and it is MUCH better than the original OS it came with. That being said I guess what you're ultimately saying is the issue really is the programming of the OS.

Different themes for example are very choppy, the original phones theme now runs fairly smooth though.
    04-17-09 11:27 AM
    that depends on the theme developer. you'll notice the better theme makers themes run much smoother. also plazmic is getting patched up also to make themes run better/smoother and from smaller format size. Check out elycruz's themes, his run very smooth.
    04-17-09 11:36 AM
    It is ironic that the iPhone has tons of eye candy and is lightning fast, and the Storm has none and is slow and buggy.

The Storms hardware is a generation behind the original iPhone, maybe the Storm 2 will perform up to current standards.
    04-17-09 11:37 AM
    It is ironic that the iPhone has tons of eye candy and is lightning fast, and the Storm has none and is slow and buggy.

The Storms hardware is a generation behind the original iPhone, maybe the Storm 2 will perform up to current standards.

I beg to differ...I was sitting next to a guy on a flight from Denver to Boston, he was watching 16 Blocks on his iPhone, not impressed at all. Plus the main screen on the iPhone is soooo pixelated you can practically counts the dots of color
    04-17-09 11:45 AM
    Plus the main screen on the iPhone is soooo pixelated you can practically counts the dots of color
    What? The Storms screen is very simliar to the iPhones. It's slightly higher resolution (360x480 vs 320x480) and slightly smaller but unless you were closely examining each phone you could never tell a difference in pixel size.

Back to the OP though, animations and graphics on the Storm are 'choppy' because the Storms OS has no OpenGL acceleration. The Storm physically has a GPU in it, but it's not being used by the OS
    04-17-09 11:58 AM
    What? The Storms screen is very simliar to the iPhones. It's slightly higher resolution (360x480 vs 320x480) and slightly smaller but unless you were closely examining each phone you could never tell a difference in pixel size.

Back to the OP though, animations and graphics on the Storm are 'choppy' because the Storms OS has no OpenGL acceleration. The Storm physically has a GPU in it, but it's not being used by the OS
    What?!? Really?!? Well that's just silly....... silly silly RIM.
    04-17-09 02:08 PM
    remember back when not everyone had a 3d card in their PCs and 3D games had to offer a software mode and a hardware mode?

Well the iPhone runs on hardware mode and the Storm runs on software. Think of it as a PC with a $200 graphics card installed without any drivers for it. Thats what you get for running an extended Curve OS on a Storm =(
    04-17-09 02:14 PM
    When it comes to watching movies/videos, the iPhone leaves a lot to be desired.
    04-17-09 02:14 PM
    When it comes to watching movies/videos, the iPhone leaves a lot to be desired.
    How? How is watching movies on an iPhone worse than watching a movie on a Storm. The screens are basically the same size/resolution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 02:34 PM
    How? How is watching movies on an iPhone worse than watching a movie on a Storm. The screens are basically the same size/resolution.

I am comparing this to, two coworkers that own iPhones. I do and they agree that the iPhone doesn't play movies as good as the Storm. The Storm is nothing short of suprising when it comes to full length films. True HD films are absolutely fantastic.
    04-17-09 02:40 PM
    The Storm definitely offers better movie playback with the slightly higher resolution and brighter display. The iPhone looks shallow and washed out in comparison. However, I do prefer the widescreen format of the iPhone. I'm still confused about what the OP is referring to actually in terms of the Storm being "choppy?" Is this something you notice with games? Games probably never will be the Storms best "feature." I'm not really a game player (except I like simple puzzles and such) so it doesn't matter to me.
    04-17-09 03:05 PM
    I see what means. If you scroll through the main menu, it doesn't move as smooth as the iphones. I also noticed that the menu and browser on my Dsi scrolls just as smooth as the iphone. I'm a little jealous....

04-17-09 03:14 PM
    The iPhone looks shallow and washed out in comparison.
    That is a pretty good example. I prefer to watch all my movies whether on a TV or phone to be in Letterbox/Widescreen. I do think for viewing, the iPhone offers a better viewing area, but in comparison to contrast and resolution, the iPhone falls very short. And with the games, I am like you, dosen't matter to me. I think this is why the iPhone is talored to the games with the apps and all, and I don't see the Storm ever being able to compete with the iPhone on that level.
    04-17-09 03:14 PM
    I see what means. If you scroll through the main menu, it doesn't move as smooth as the iphones. I also noticed that the menu and browser on my Dsi scrolls just as smooth as the iphone. I'm a little jealous....

I think it's just a different type of scrolling. I like the scrolling on the Storm to stop when I lift my finger off the screen. I don't care for the scrolling format of the iPhone, although it's much faster and smoother, it's kinda annoying in my opinion.
    04-17-09 03:16 PM
    your mom has choppy grapics
    04-17-09 03:32 PM
    The Storm hardware is ahead of the iPhones, but the OS hasn't been written to take advantage of the hardware just yet.

The iPhone and Storm both have graphics accelerator chips on board, which serve the dedicated role of making all the eye candy of the phone run smoothly, leaving the CPU to do more of actual logic. The iPhone shipped with this but the storm still uses the CPU to render its interface, with the GPU going unused. It is hoped that a future OS update will unlock the GPU or make it accessible in some fashion.
    04-17-09 03:59 PM
    How does the storms hardware compare to that of the Iphones? The iphone and other more graphically enhanced phones are silky smooth. Everything about the storms graphics are choppy choppy choppy.

Is this bad programming on RIM's part or is that phone just not up to par with hardware gfx?
    Choppy? According to peoples reports after every leak upgrade they claim "snappy". Maybe you're mixing up your words. J/k!
    This phone has been choppy from day one. Maybe needs more grease.

04-17-09 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD