Hi everybody, I'm a new blackberry user. My first blackberry will (hopefully) be tomorrow's anticipated BB Storm.

I would just like to know what to do when I first pick it up and take it home. I should open it obviously, and drool over it.

But after that, should I turn it on and THEN charge it (charging the phone while it is on)?

Or, should I turn it on just to get a feel for it and then shut it off and charge it? (Or simply not turn it on at all and start charging immediately).

Then, I would also like to know for HOW LONG I should charge it. I've heard from many site/people/etc that often the first day you get a phone it is important to charge it correctly to receive the best battery life from it. However, I do not know the "charging guidelines" and would like to know what to do since I am anxious to just use, use, use it right away!

Thanks,
    O
    11-20-08 09:40 PM
    also wondering...as i will only be able to charge for about 2 hours before i have to be at class
    11-20-08 09:41 PM
    you should get it and put a full charge on it before you use it. dont sit there and use it while its on the charger. just give it a full 4-5 hour charge. We have so many people come in complaining about battery life like batteries are miracle devices and last forever. to save you the hassle of killing your battery i would recommend doing it the right way the first time. if you only have 2 hours thats one of the worst things to do. dont charge it for 2 hours and then take it off and use it. That will cause the battery to build up a memory and over time it wont charge completely
    11-20-08 09:43 PM
    Oops, forgot to ask one more thing. Once I give it the correct charge and actually start using it everyday, is it BAD to have the phone on 24/7 (still giving it a charge throughout the night time when I sleep, but I would leave it on)?
    11-20-08 09:45 PM
    In response to keeping the phone on 24/7......well its not going to harm the phone if you leave it on all night, but i recommend power cycling the phone atleast once a day to basically reboot the phone. This is a good practice because its the same as a computer and when you use a computer all day and never restart it over time it will start to run a bit slower and you'll start to get some errors. same thing goes for phones. Turn it off at night if you can. its not like your on it when your sleeping anyways.
    11-20-08 09:50 PM
    Yeah, the only reason I ask is because I have a very hard time waking up with a traditional alarm clock. So far I've used two alarm clocks and neither was able to "successfully" get me up. However, my current phone, the RAZR2, has a very loud speaker and I just used it to wake me up whenever needed by using my ringtones as the alarm noise.

Alrighty, so bottom line, if I MUST keep it on overnight, it is fine as long as, say, when I wake up I turn it off and then a few minutes later turn it back on (this is power cycling, correct)?
    Thanks again!
    11-20-08 09:55 PM
    ill just leave it here then while im in class....dammm
    11-20-08 09:58 PM
    you dont even have to leave it off for any period of time really. just turn it off and back on. its the same thing as restarting your computer. Just keep in mind that keeping it on all night and plugged in will cause the battery not to last as long. im not talking about 2 or 3 months or anything. it should still last you atleast 9 or 10 months before you may see a decrease in talk time.
    11-20-08 10:00 PM
    - Charge the phone
    - Uninstall unnecessary languages and apps.
    - Change Options->Screen/Keyboard->Key Rate to Fast, and adjust the touch screen sensitivity.
    - Reset the device
    Enjoy!
    11-20-08 10:04 PM
    you should get it and put a full charge on it before you use it. dont sit there and use it while its on the charger. just give it a full 4-5 hour charge. We have so many people come in complaining about battery life like batteries are miracle devices and last forever. to save you the hassle of killing your battery i would recommend doing it the right way the first time. if you only have 2 hours thats one of the worst things to do. dont charge it for 2 hours and then take it off and use it. That will cause the battery to build up a memory and over time it wont charge completely
    You can safely use your phone without fully charging the battery. Modern lithium ion batteries do not have memory (reference multiple sites, to include wikipedia) and do not need an initial full charge. There are many stickers that say so, but these are left over from NiMH and NiCd days.

Just don't let your battery fully discharge, which is bad for the battery.
    11-20-08 10:04 PM
    yeah right.i'm gonna stand in line for hours after waiting on this phone for months then take it home and charge it for 4 to 5 hours without touching it? i'll just buy a new battery later and do it properly then.
    11-20-08 10:05 PM
    haha alright. have fun ******** about your battery life 4 months from now. some people dont have 40 bucks to buy a battery every 6 months. Its only gonna have less then half a charge on it out the box so you wont be doing to much playing around with it anyways
    11-20-08 10:16 PM
    11-20-08 10:21 PM
    haha alright. have fun ******** about your battery life 4 months from now. some people dont have 40 bucks to buy a battery every 6 months. Its only gonna have less then half a charge on it out the box so you wont be doing to much playing around with it anyways
    I know but what you gotta remember also is that people that do not have a ne2 or anything are getting themselfs up to the point of paying 500-600 dollars for this phone. I highly doubt a 40 dollar battery is of there concern hahah.
    11-20-08 10:25 PM
    Battery Pull!!
    11-20-08 10:27 PM
    This is what I thought when I first got my BB curve, so I immediately came here to ask about it. I was very politely informed by some very specific and well informed people that what I was thinking of is a older rechargeable battery technology that did have a recharging "memory" so to say and that the first charge of the device means everything. I was told that this is not the case in Blackberry (and most phone) batteries and that we now use a different metal ion that acts differently than how you're thinking. Actually wearing it down low before charging it shrinks the battery cells and makes them unable to fully expand again, lowering the battery life over time

Basically you don't have to worry about giving it a full uninterrupted charge. My curve has a great battery life, and I haven't been charging it in any special way. (I think I'm going to get a storm tomorrow since I'm still in the 30 day return period...to see if I like it at least).
    11-20-08 10:33 PM
    You can safely use your phone without fully charging the battery. Modern lithium ion batteries do not have memory (reference multiple sites, to include wikipedia) and do not need an initial full charge. There are many stickers that say so, but these are left over from NiMH and NiCd days.

Just don't let your battery fully discharge, which is bad for the battery.
    I heard that with lithium ion batteries (at least regarding macbooks), you're suppose to fully discharge it once every month or every other month. This is so the software (and hardware controlling the battery), can properly calibrate to the actual battery range
    11-20-08 10:52 PM
    I heard that with lithium ion batteries (at least regarding macbooks), you're suppose to fully discharge it once every month or every other month. This is so the software (and hardware controlling the battery), can properly calibrate to the actual battery range
    It's a tradeoff... doing a discharge/charge cycle has the benefits of what you stated, but I would be careful with "fully" discharging the battery (e.g., keeping the phone on until it dies, ignoring low battery or auto-shutoff).
    11-20-08 11:09 PM
    I plan on charging it, getting a rubber case. And applying one of the verizon screen protectors.

Will the screen protector leave a residue when I take it off...so I can apply the newly ordered Ghost Armor? Any thoughts.
    11-20-08 11:20 PM
    Will the screen protector leave a residue when I take it off...so I can apply the newly ordered Ghost Armor? Any thoughts.
    I would recommend using a microfiber cloth and some compressed air before applying GA.

Oh, and of course make sure there's nothing wrong with the phone before you apply the GA!
    11-20-08 11:24 PM
    sounds good. I was debating sending in the storm to GA for them to apply it. I can totally see myself screwing up one of the sixteen pieces of it
    11-20-08 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD