Ok, so I've been a lurker on here for a long while. First post. I don't normally dabble in message boards cause I'm not a fan of getting into arguments with people who think their junk is bigger than the next guy, or I just normally use them for info seeking.

But I got a storm a few weeks ago as an upgrade for my Curve that I'd had for a year and a half or so.

I'd read all the gripes, all the horrid reviews from CNET and the other major players, I'd read the issues people on here posted too. I'll admit, I took a major risk in my mind jumping on the Storm wagon, but after a couple weeks now I just don't understand what all the crying is about.

I'm not talking about genuine product issues like faulty equipment, etc. It's a completely valid point that RIM should be working to fix actively and the carriers should be more understanding about.

I'm talking about Surepress "sucking" lack of "Iphone features", "dust" under the screen etc.

I absolutely love my Storm to death. I believe I am one of the lucky ones who got a flawless unit from the factory. I haven't had anything wrong with it at all. It has worked absolutely amazingly.

So for my first thing, Surepress. It's not meant to be the same as a frickin solid state capacative touchscreen for christ sake!! So to all those Iphone fanboys that reviewed the unit and complained about it sucking, F*** off!! It's in no way meant to be the same! I almost feel like RIM had people like me who despise and have a hard time using a solid state screen effectively and made it more like having a virtual click keyboard. As well, not having a damn trackball gumming up and needing cleaning every few days is nice as well! Thing is, the surepress was intuitive, tap to select, click to activate. Makes sense to someone like me who had a tendency to hover a little too hard all the time on a normal screen.

Ok, Iphone features lacking. Its a BlackBerry, enough said. You want Iphone features, buy an Iphone. The only exception is flick scrolling, that'd be nice, but not an essential. *eagerly awaiting the next official OS release*

Dust under the screen. This is a double edged thing. First, there's a chance its not actually dust people. Look at the screen in glaring sunlight, if it seems there is dust everywhere look closer. There's a grid of points for the capacative matrix on the screen. As there is with ANY projected capacatance and capacative touchscreen. It needs these to conduct the electricity that activates the screen. You just cant see it unless theres intense glare enough to light em up. Actual dust getting in the screen is one of those bitchy factory defaults. Take it back to verizon and tell em you want a new one. A NEW one, if you ***** enough they will give you an actual NEW phone not a guaranteed refurb. But even so a refurb may actually work better, sadly. Welcome to phone world. Cant tell you how many Curves I went through after my first one "mysteriously" had the keyboard stop working (lol to working in the rain and none of the moisture activators turning :P suck it verizon!) before I got one that was 100% ok.

All in all, it seems that the expectation was that the phone would be an Iphone killer, not a device of its own. Its geared towards a different type of user I believe.
    09-03-09 12:45 PM
    ... *Amen*
    09-03-09 12:49 PM
    Nicely done. I'm feel the same way.
    09-03-09 12:50 PM
    Exactly what I feel. I think this phone got really bad reviews, because it was the first phone to really take on the iphone so to speak. And when people reviewed, instead of reviewing it as a phone they reviewed and compared it to the iphone. In almost every review I looked at when I was buying it, they almost always said "unlike the iphone" or "this lacks what the iphone does". I ignored those and bought it for what it was an amazing phone.
    09-03-09 01:15 PM
    Took the words out of my mouth, hey give 'em back! Hehehe.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 01:17 PM
    As far as I'm concerned the "this lacks what the iphone does" people can suck it. The iphone didn't do anything revolutionary for the smartphone industry but make one the snobby mac fanboys (f*** you too, Linux trumps any OSX any day) will appreciate and will get the attention of the general public. They really aren't as practical for business or powerusers IMO. All other smartphones were more for a corporate niche market or the users (like me) that just wanted more out of their phone without having to drag a laptop everywhere that weren't concerned about how beautiful it looks or if it could have the most awesome games. You want games... Well, the N-Gage=Fail. Buy a PSP or DS.

I no joke had people see my ol' blue and go "GOD that thing is UGLY." "Well, lets see your pretty Nokia 5100.... Hmm... Its pretty... Can it email?" "No, its a phone." "Can it IM" "Huh???" "Does it have a browser" "F*** off....."
    Last edited by soulesswanderer; 09-03-09 at 03:08 PM.
    09-03-09 02:55 PM
    Good write-up!! Just how I feel
    09-03-09 03:04 PM
    Bought mine in Feb and never had any problems. Bummer for those that did/do have them, though.

Loved my Storm since day 1 and it just keeps getting better.

Agree with OP 100%
    09-03-09 03:13 PM
    I love my storm.

09-03-09 03:14 PM
    I've had quite a few phones so far (including an iphone) and the Storm is the best one so far. I got lucky with a perfect one as well, and along with 151 it's near perfect.
    09-03-09 03:18 PM
    As a new Storm owner and really like the phone I must agree also with the OP.
    09-03-09 03:18 PM
    As far as I'm concerned the "this lacks what the iphone does" people can suck it. The iphone didn't do anything revolutionary for the smartphone industry but make one the snobby mac fanboys (f*** you too, Linux trumps any OSX any day) will appreciate and will get the attention of the general public. They really aren't as practical for business or powerusers IMO. All other smartphones were more for a corporate niche market or the users (like me) that just wanted more out of their phone without having to drag a laptop everywhere that weren't concerned about how beautiful it looks or if it could have the most awesome games. You want games... Well, the N-Gage=Fail. Buy a PSP or DS.

I no joke had people see my ol' blue and go "GOD that thing is UGLY." "Well, lets see your pretty Nokia 5100.... Hmm... Its pretty... Can it email?" "No, its a phone." "Can it IM" "Huh???" "Does it have a browser" "F*** off....."
    Just because you own a Mac doesn't make you snooty, or an iPhone fan.

Watch it, buster.

Glad the OP enjoys his Storm.
    09-03-09 03:42 PM
    The world was also quite critical of the storm because it was quickly being compared to the iphone 3g, without taking into account Apple had a 1.5 year head start in the touchscreen-multimedia-smartphone department. RIM is surely catching up (see videos of the storm 2 in action), but even after it's release, it'll take a while to change people's opinions due to all the bad press RIM and the storm got when Verizon chose to release it without a solid OS.
    09-03-09 03:51 PM
    o.s. .65 sucked balls. .75 wasn't much better. The storm got the reviews it deserved.

With .148 and the leaks that came after, the storm is a beast and I don't regret buying it at all. Best phone ever I.m.o.
    09-03-09 04:37 PM
    Just because you own a Mac doesn't make you snooty, or an iPhone fan.

Watch it, buster.

Glad the OP enjoys his Storm.
    Fanboys. Not all mac users Just thought I'd clarify. My wife has a macbook, her pref, she had an iphone, hated it :P

I've had a few mac's in my time, but I still find myself going back to linux every time.
    09-03-09 04:47 PM
    Nice write up
    09-03-09 09:18 PM
    Biggest two flaws with the iphone
    1. Cant multitask.. WTF?
    2. Because of 1, IM clients only run in Safari, negating any benefit
    09-03-09 09:25 PM
    Well I have a storm and 3 of my friends got one too and I have no say not one complain well except it being so f_ing great plus the iphone is for idiots or little kids my 2 year old who is amazed by simple things like pretty colors and shiny objects its perfect for her. But me on the other hand are an adult so I prefer a grown up phone a blackberry

Last edited by B Bugs; 09-03-09 at 09:46 PM.
    09-03-09 09:44 PM
    Very nice! Hello and Welcome
    09-03-09 09:51 PM
    Thank You for making an impressive introduction to the forum! Welcome Aboard, I also have had no issues with my Storm and would not trade it for anything.
    09-03-09 10:02 PM
    Couldn't agree more. I really like my Storm a lot. It has taken some tweaking to get it just the way I want it but not enough to drive me away.
    09-04-09 06:10 AM
    good post.
    09-04-09 06:49 AM
    Nice post!
    09-04-09 07:02 AM
    Damn. right! The Storm is a Monster of a phone. I thought it was great before......until I installed .191. Now, it is simply amazing. Good post! It is good to hear all the Storm lovers out there. There hating going since t

09-04-09 07:12 AM

your wrong the iphone did revolutionize the smart phone world hence the bb storm came out but i do like the storm just saying that wasnt a smart comment cause its not true at all!!!!
    09-04-09 07:14 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD