What is tethering and what does using your phone as a modem do?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 12:28 PM
    Hooking your laptop/pc up to the phone so it can be used as a wireless modem/internet connection when you have nothing else.
    12-24-08 12:30 PM
    there is also a $15/month charge for this
    12-24-08 12:31 PM
    there is also a $15/month charge for this
    Yep, I was going to say it's not free. But useful in it's own right.
    12-24-08 12:32 PM
    So each carrier charges $15? Or is it a different price for each?

12-24-08 12:36 PM
    different prices. It's just like a normal cell plan. While all the companies are similar, none will be exactly the same. So you can bet it will be around 15
    12-24-08 12:40 PM
    Tethering on VZW:

$15 when added to a nationwide email plan
    ( added to BES)

$30 when added to an unlimited email & web plan for blackberry (29.99 BIS).
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-24-08 at 03:52 PM.
    12-24-08 12:40 PM
    If you only need to tether now and then on VZW you can call them to activate the service and then call them to turn it off when you no longer need it. They will prorate the monthy charge based on the number of days you were using the service. I just did it today to make sure that my laptop was setup correctly to use it. I never got clear on how small an increment they will prorate to. It would be nice if it was measured in hours. I only had the service for an hour.
    12-24-08 03:47 PM
    I just talked to customer service and they said they can't remove it. I'm getting charged $29.99 for a data plan and $30 for BBS. What's the deal with that????
    12-24-08 05:22 PM
    I just talked to customer service and they said they can't remove it. I'm getting charged $29.99 for a data plan and $30 for BBS. What's the deal with that????
    Call back. I bought my phone with the express guarantee that I can enroll and drop BB connect. I started and stopped it just yesterday. I spoke to a VZW agent not ten minutes ago about VZ Navigator and he confirmed that you can do something similar with that -- get a $2.99 day pass. The BB Connect service can be turned on and off as you wish and will be prorated -- don't take no for an answer.
    12-25-08 07:00 AM
    After surfing the Crackberry forums a little more I found this same answer repeatedly. I called back about 20 minutes after my post and got a rep that was much more sensitive to my pleas.

In fact, he couldn't believe that I was told that! He checked my account, and apparently the first rep must have realized his mistake, because the 2nd rep said it had already been removed!

I guess the part that angered me most was the 1st rep insisting that I accepted the terms of the agreement and was stuck with it. I was livid!

Looks like the issue has been rectified though. I'll keep an eye on my account tho.
    12-25-08 09:01 AM
    Tethering is very useful if you are at a client's offices and you
    really need to fetch something for your laptop - you don't expose
    yourself to problems with your client's security, etc.
    12-25-08 10:05 AM
    Well just to shre this with you guys...I just got off the phone with my provider (telus)after recieving my phone bill and was charged $8.00 /MB .. and I had 32MBs =$199.99 so just be careful with this 1.The bill shows it as "Mobile High Speed internet"
    03-10-10 02:10 PM
    Well just to shre this with you guys...I just got off the phone with my provider (telus)after recieving my phone bill and was charged $8.00 /MB .. and I had 32MBs =$199.99 so just be careful with this 1.The bill shows it as "Mobile High Speed internet"
    Did you use TetherBerry? I guess you didn't activate a tether plan?

03-10-10 03:44 PM
    Bahahahaha I can't believe you people pay for tethering. I have BlackBerry Pay As You Go for �5 a week. Granted it's not as fast but last week for example I downloaded two episodes of Family guy everyday, give or take about 4GB lol I asked the guy what "unlimited data" really means and he said 5GB but nobody ever goes over so if they say anything I'll just get another account for �5 bahahahahaha

03-10-10 04:41 PM
    With VZW it is 29.99 for 5mb and 44.99 for unlimited. that is with $30 unlimited data plan also. Get tether its only 29.99 til march 16th. But use lightly.
    03-10-10 07:01 PM
    I asked about Telus. If you took all of a second, and checked my provider, you'd see telling me Verizons prices does me absolutely no good. Thanks anyways, though. If I ever move to the states I'll know what to get, I guess..

Also, to KyleStorm, thank you. You've opened my eyes. I'm going to start packing right now, buy out my apartment lease, quit my job, and move to Europe / England (you said pounds, so I'm not sure exactly where yet). Clearly the best possible solution to 'having to pay to tether' in my country is to move somewhere else. I'll be destitute, but I'll be damned if I pay for tethering!
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 03-12-10 at 09:25 AM.
    03-12-10 09:22 AM
    I asked about Telus. If you took all of a second, and checked my provider, you'd see telling me Verizons prices does me absolutely no good. Thanks anyways, though. If I ever move to the states I'll know what to get, I guess..

Also, to KyleStorm, thank you. You've opened my eyes. I'm going to start packing right now, buy out my apartment lease, quit my job, and move to Europe / England (you said pounds, so I'm not sure exactly where yet). Clearly the best possible solution to 'having to pay to tether' in my country is to move somewhere else. I'll be destitute, but I'll be damned if I pay for tethering!
    Hahaha go for it man. I'm from Jersey in the Channel Islands(just above France) no big corporates or CEOs looking for more money lol I believe Sure Mobile were the first carrier to offer Pay As You Go BlackBerry service in the world. When you're desperate for customers you'll do anything to please people

03-12-10 03:09 PM
    Damn Glitchzero I guess I was answering the question to the original post. Sorry bout that.
    03-12-10 06:50 PM
    Cashless, at first I thought you were replying to me, but then I realized you might have been addressing the OP, so I was legitimately thanking you. I'm considering moving to the states, and it's handy to know these things.
    03-12-10 08:48 PM
    I am on Tmobile in the USA, and there is no extra charge for tethering. I think Tmo is the only carrier that doesn't charge you extra to do this.
    03-13-10 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD