I have been reading these forums for the last week and have received some useful info from them. Thanks to this forum I have upgraded my OS to .103 and am very satisfied. I keep seeing people talking about memory leaks and how terrible it is to have one. I would like someone to please explain to me what exactly a memory leak is and how to tell if i have one, then how to fix it. Please.....
    02-22-09 07:53 PM
    Memory leaks can't be fixed on your end, unless you remove the app with the leak.

On your device, you have app memory, which is like RAM on your PC. Some apps run in the background, usually a bug in beta apps, and over time eat away at the app memory. Eventually it will slow your device down, and a battery pull is the temp fix.
    02-22-09 07:57 PM
    if you determine you have a memory leak, how do you discern which app it is?
    02-22-09 07:59 PM
    Most have been already discussed. If not, you have to figure out be removing apps one at a time to find it.

But like I said, it's usually beta apps, like Viigo is one some have problems with. Or the new themes since the app to build them is in beta.
    02-22-09 08:00 PM
    If you are happy, why would you want to look for a reason to be unhappy.

I know there is a lot of that 'round here, but it's just nonsense.

EDIT: and every time someone asks about it MOST of the answers are just plain inaccurate, anyways.
    02-22-09 08:01 PM
    If you are happy, why would you want to look for a reason to be unhappy.

I know there is a lot of that 'round here, but it's just nonsense.

EDIT: and every time someone asks about it MOST of the answers are just plain inaccurate, anyways.
    I would simply like to be informed.
    02-22-09 08:03 PM
    After you reset the phone, check your avail app memory. After an hour or so, see if it's significantly lower. If it's not, you're fine.
    02-22-09 08:04 PM
    thank you champ
    02-22-09 08:06 PM
    thank you champ
    No prob!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    02-22-09 08:06 PM
    To be more technical a memory leak is caused any time an application uses some memory (creates a java object) and does not eventually return it to the system. Memory leaks can occur in any type of mobile OS. If a memory leak exists in RIM apps (messaging, browser, etc) it can cause the system to run out of memory since these applications are always running. When you do a battery pull all applications restart using only the long-term data they have stored (emails, settings, etc).

It IS normal for your memory to get used while the device is running. Your BB will periodically do a "garbage collection" where it will look for memory which is no longer being used. If however there is no available memory at all it will start deleting emails, phone logs, etc to get enough memory to remain running.
    02-22-09 08:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD