...at our store meeting this morning.

To listen to him, every problem with the Storm is Verizon's fault for pushing it out the door too early. While I will concede that we pushed it early, all the blame doesn't reside with us.

I asked him if RIM had ever heard of a 512MB Flash ROM. I also asked him if Verizon spec'd out an OS that stored applications in an inadequate 128MB Flash rather than the 1GB hard memory. He went into some spiel about data compression and how BB cuts the file sizes by 30%.
    I don't know about you, but when I do the math, it just doesn't work out.

512MB = 4x128MB

Somehow that doesn't equate to 30% in file size reduction. Maybe it's just me?

He also said we should refer Pearl owners to our customer care for the 4.5 issue that doesn't put the preloaded pics on during software update. I told him it was a carrier wide issue and that our customer care couldn't do anything about a file they either didn't include or forgot to build a subroutine to add.

The only semi-useful information I got from him is that out of the 10 OS builds Verizon was given the debugging/testing process has narrowed it to 3. There is no information about when the final selection would be made. If he knew, he wasn't saying. I can't say I blame him as that would cost him his job.

He also started rambling about how no browser supports Flash because it was designed for Desktops, not Handhelds, but a friend of his said that he was using AJAX to make convert, and that's what Skyfire did on WinMo devices.
    Of course I pointed out to him that AJAX is a cripting language that can do a lot of things, but video conversion, especially on a handheld, would be too memory intensive and requires the scripts be run client side.

Anyway, the short of it is, no real news on a new OS.
    04-10-09 03:27 PM
    Awesome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 04:13 PM
    haha that made me laugh, the long write up then just one sarcastic word. awesome.

Thanks for the laugh
    04-10-09 04:22 PM
    Idk wtf to day in reply to that. Obviously its a serious topic. Obviously he took the time to pick that poor, poor rim rep's mind. It didn't post a question or spawn a unique thought to debate or discuss. I wanted to give him an affirmative positive response to acknowledge the post. E for effort.

04-10-09 04:25 PM
    That was good!

04-10-09 04:53 PM
    He's 100% correct. It is Verizon's fault for this crappy phone.
    04-10-09 05:05 PM
    What does that have to do with anything? This isn't a rant. Anything productive or constructive to suggest how vzw or rim can resolve any issues you perceive this device has?

04-10-09 05:17 PM
    I watched an sample video that showed skyfire watching a youtube video (part of a football game) and was very disappointed. Maybe it was just the video itself but it looked very choppy. Yes, it running a flash video but not anything that you'd want to watch for more than a minute. I tend to agree with the rim rep, Flash was never built with the intent of being put on phones at least not in it's current form.

But I guess I shouldn't hold either side overly accountable. Some verizon reps are really good, others are pretty bad. I would expect the same from rim as well. Sounds like you might have just gotten a rep who wasn't at the top of his game.
    04-10-09 05:43 PM
    Knowledgeable reps all have one thing in common: desire to learn. It just sucks that they don't take job knowledge into account for reviews. Its all based on stats and sales. Knowledgeable doesn't always equal profitable.

04-10-09 06:30 PM
    As far as I know no phones support flash inside the browser. Not flash 10 anyway. Supposedly some nokia phones running the Symbian OS do though.
    Everything I have seen on win mobile that's works runs on a server and streamed to the hand set. Its not run from the phone. On my moto q I could
    watch youtube and other flash videos because of a hack that went with TCPMP.

04-10-09 06:47 PM
    Good. Would read again.

04-10-09 10:01 PM
    Would you recommend this post to a friend?

Yes X

No
    04-10-09 10:13 PM
    So kind of the "BB rep" to throw Verizon under the bus for a product RIM manufactured and sold to Verizon....
    04-11-09 12:29 AM
    Im also sure its true because Verizon hands out Storm replacements like lolly pops because they know they screwed up.
    04-11-09 12:52 AM
    Im also sure its true because Verizon hands out Storm replacements like lolly pops because they know they screwed up.

I can certainly validate that! On my 5th Storm! Still wouldn't trade it for anything else. I'm a glutton for punishment...
    04-11-09 12:58 AM
    I personally thought it was the height of stupidity to come into a Verizon store and tell the Verizon employees that it was Verizon's fault the Storm was underperforming its potential.
    04-11-09 05:31 AM
    I personally thought it was the height of stupidity to come into a Verizon store and tell the Verizon employees that it was Verizon's fault the Storm was underperforming its potential.
    Could be considered career suicide, as well, if the wrong employee heard it and repeats it.
    04-11-09 06:16 AM
    Can RIM please fire that moron and hire me?

The wallpaper issue with 4.5 is because they left it out due to running out of memory on the 64MB of memory on the 8xxx models. Most all, except for 8330 only have 64MB.

As for the 30% size reduction or rather compression, that's for network traffic, not local memory. Geebus, another sales rep full of isht. Is there anyone out there selling something that they actually know the facts about?

Took all the words out of my mouth... WTF is wrong with that rep.
    04-11-09 07:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD