i have a hosted bes account so i'm not worried about my emails/contacts/calendar etc.

what does concern me are the countless hours i've spent (wasted?) customizing my storm. the ringtones, contact alerts, custom profiles... the list goes on and on. will all this be saved when i do a back-up through the desktop manager?

any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!
    02-02-09 11:06 PM
    If you do a full bu, almost everything will restore back.

The only thing I lose are contact groups.

everything else restores just fine.
    02-02-09 11:08 PM
    i don't have any contact groups so i'm good there. will it back-up where i've moved all my icons/hidden some of them? mostly though i'm concerned with all the changes i've made to the various settings.

ideally what i'm hoping for isthis: in the event my storm gets lost/stolen/damaged and i need a replacement all i do is plug the new one into dm and through the powers that be the new one behaves exactly like the old one.

is this possible?
    02-03-09 12:30 AM
    i don't have any contact groups so i'm good there. will it back-up where i've moved all my icons/hidden some of them? mostly though i'm concerned with all the changes i've made to the various settings.

ideally what i'm hoping for isthis: in the event my storm gets lost/stolen/damaged and i need a replacement all i do is plug the new one into dm and through the powers that be the new one behaves exactly like the old one.

is this possible?
    The backup on DM is made for this purpose...lost phone, theft, damage, it is like the backup on your computer...all the core stuff, backing up your 3rd partyapps manually is always a safe bet, but settings within those apps will be saved if the backup is done.
    02-03-09 12:38 AM
    i am hoping to find the same answer as jpg. I am getting a new storm tomorrow and was wondering if i can just move all programs/settings etc to the new phone without any problems.
    02-03-09 12:39 AM
    The backup feature of DM backs up everything except for third party apps. It will backup all pictures, ringtones, documents, music, system settings, drm licenses, bookmarks, etc. In other words, 99% of everything is pretty much backed up. Inorder to backup third party apps, you have to use the switch device wizard method.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 12:40 AM
    i am hoping to find the same answer as jpg. I am getting a new storm tomorrow and was wondering if i can just move all programs/settings etc to the new phone without any problems.
    If you still have the old storm, you can use the switch device wizard to transfer everything from one device to the other.

02-03-09 12:42 AM
    The only gripe I have with a backup is that it doesn't save bbm conversations. Unless I'm doing something wrong of course.

02-03-09 01:28 AM
    You want to see what DM backs up by default? Click the advanced button the backup and restore portion in your DM. Everything on the right column I believe is what gets backed up by default.
    02-03-09 01:52 AM
    I've done a back up before with dm but can someone tell me how to back up 3rd party apps. I know someone mentioned useing switch devise wizard, but how exactly do you do it. Thanks for the help!

02-03-09 02:33 AM
    You want to see what DM backs up by default? Click the advanced button the backup and restore portion in your DM. Everything on the right column I believe is what gets backed up by default.
    excellent advice!
    02-03-09 03:04 AM
    I want to be sure that if I upgrade my OS to .90 or .99 will I have to unlock my phone again? Or will DM back all that up? I currently have .45 installed.

02-03-09 06:01 AM
    I've done a back up before with dm but can someone tell me how to back up 3rd party apps. I know someone mentioned useing switch devise wizard, but how exactly do you do it. Thanks for the help!

Search the forums. There are plenty of conversations about how to back up your third party apps. The best I've found was by Crucial_Xtreme
    02-03-09 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD