This is not only my first blackberry, but my first ever completely sexy phone, and i have no smarts on what i should and shouldn't be doing. I've had it for about 2 weeks and i feel like there's more to know.

1. Is it safe to wash the screen with a lysol wipe or something? I left the plastic cover on it that came on it when i bought it.
    2. Any tips on how to get the battery life better?
    3. Is the App. store ever going to be like the Iphones and have a bunch of random things?
    4. Sometimes the screen will go white and have a loading icon in the middle, then completely restarts. any suggestions?

and anything else you guys can throw at me to get started would be awesome.
    02-26-09 07:56 AM
    As I'm also new to both BB and the storm this should make for a good thread.

I would advise against using a lysol wipe for cleaning the screen. (if anyone disagrees can you do more than just call me an *****, maybe explain why you think they are safe to use) If you buy a set of screen protectors they come with screen cleaning wipes.

the rest of the questions, I'm just as eager to hear the answers.
    02-26-09 08:06 AM
    Update your OS. That will help get rid of the random reboots (white screen). There are plenty of threads in here on how to that. Just search for beta OS's. 103 is the latest with a hybrid possible with 109

Leave the screen protector on. I use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip or soft cloth for cleaning

Batteries last longer if kept cool. Try not to keep it in your pocket for too long. Be sure to close your apps when done using them. Click the BB menu button and scroll down to Close

Search this forum for different apps. There are plenty of cool free ones. Poynt is cool, Opera Mini or Bolt are faster browsers. Slacker is awesome if you like music

Try updating your OS first to 103. That seems to make the biggest difference and Slacker ran better on it IMHO.

Have fun with it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 08:08 AM
    Here's a great link for newbies. Useful info found here...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...lecture+series
    02-26-09 08:13 AM
    Hi Style...

I have heard of people using like, Windex on their Storm. I removed all of the factory screen protectors and never use any solvent or cleaner on it. I bought an eyeglass microfiber cleaning cloth that does a great job. If there's a stubborn bit of gunk on it, steam it a bit with your breath and it will come off.

For battery life, make sure you go to Options>Mobile Network. Set Network Technology to 1XEV. Also make sure you close any unused programs ESPECIALLY ones that use the GPS. If you leave BB Maps or Google Maps running in the background, you're running the GPS and that will suck your battery right down.

RIM is working on an app store. There were rumors of it opening in March but I don't know if there's much truth in that rumor.

The screen going white is a random reboot. It happened to some units on the earlier software builds. What software version are you running? If it's the one that came with the Storm it's .75. The leaked beta versions are up to .109 right now. If you are technically confident in installing a new operating system maybe try that. It also might help with battery life as well. I REALLY stress "technically confident" though. If doing a low level format of your computer's hard drive and reinstalling Windows is something you can do with your eyes closed, have at it. (Search the forums here, there's help and instructions all over the placeon how to do this.)

I hope that helps.
    02-26-09 08:14 AM
    Update your OS. That will help get rid of the random reboots (white screen). There are plenty of threads in here on how to that. Just search for beta OS's. 103 is the latest with a hybrid possible with 109
    Actually, there is now a leaked 109 OS.

I use one of those eyeglasses lens cleaner cloths to clean my Storm.

Some say conditioning your battery helps (letting it go dead, charging, repeat). I think it might be due to your OS. As Squeegee said, make sure you close out the applications rather than just hitting the back or end buttons.

Welcome to CB, you will soon be addicted.
    02-26-09 08:18 AM
    This is not only my first blackberry, but my first ever completely sexy phone, and i have no smarts on what i should and shouldn't be doing.
    If you got it, Flaunt it!
    02-26-09 08:33 AM
    beleive me ABLT, i may not know what im talking about but i sure as **** am flaunting it! hahaha

and thanks to everyone who helped.

i have a cleaner from my oakleys ill use. i dont know why i didnt think of that lol.

and ill try what Capt said and put it to the 1XEV setting to see how that works.
    02-26-09 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD