It is true that phones/bluetooth/etc. have absolutely no effect flight equipment

I agree. Keep the ban to keep people off their phones while I'm trapped with them. I even hate it when we land and they say it's okay. Everyone within 2 feet of me whips out their phone and starts talking as loud as they can.

Not true actually. They can interfere with the radio. Sometimes you can pick up a cell conversation in the headphones. Usually really faint but distracting non the less.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 08:25 PM
    So if they can hear it in the cockpit why don't they ever send flight attendants to go ***** at people? I have never heard of a cell phone witch hunt on a plane but I would imagine if it was that bad it would happen a lot.
    They do all the time. Either that or the pilot will radio back to the cabin that they know someone is on their phone and they better hang up. Its funny to see reactions in the cabin when that happens.

04-06-09 08:29 PM
    Not true actually. They can interfere with the radio. Sometimes you can pick up a cell conversation in the headphones. Usually really faint but distracting non the less.

okay i may have spoke too soon. I doubt you can pick up celll phone convos unless they are on analog phones but i can see how the annoying noise and clicks can interfere with GSM phones. For the record that noise interference you speak of does no happen with CDMA phones...

either way i know plenty of commercial pilots who have called me from the **** pit 30,000 feet in the air as they fly from LA to SF and since they pretty much parallell Interstate 5 the whole way there are cell towers on the ground below the plane and yes the phone does get signal!
    04-06-09 08:31 PM
    Coolsoundingme, why is it when I fly corporate we never are told to get off our phones? I know a boat load of pilots, corporate, commercial and leisure and this is the first I am hearing of this? Not meant to call you out, but I'm with ddarvish. The flip side is I don't want them to approve it, there's already enough senseless chatter on the plane, before takeoff.
    04-06-09 09:28 PM
    Coolsoundingme, why is it when I fly corporate we never are told to get off our phones? I know a boat load of pilots, corporate, commercial and leisure and this is the first I am hearing of this? Not meant to call you out, but I'm with ddarvish. The flip side is I don't want them to approve it, there's already enough senseless chatter on the plane, before takeoff.
    They don't tell you to turn off your phone because A) they don't care about your phone battery and B) people who fly corp jets tend to be bitchy and stuffy. it's much easier just to let them think they're smarter than you. I was a corp pilot for a while. We just let you think you're right when you complain and do what we need to after that.
    04-07-09 11:02 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD