I went to Circuit City tonight to pick out a bag for my new camcorder, when I decided to just check with the Verizon kiosk if they had any Storms in. Girl was super helpful, talked to me about it for a while, and told me the store up the road showed 30 in stock.

So, we went up to the Verizon store up the road.

Stood in the line for about 5-7 minutes, looking around the whole time for a sales person that wasn't busy helping people pick out a headset or a case. There was nobody ahead of me except the people actually at the counter. I turned around to hear the person behind me saying they were going to sign in to the kiosk. Sign in, WTF?

There was a girl standing by the kiosk texting, and we made eye contact. She finally speaks up and asks "well, did you sign in to our kiosk?" What the **** do I need to sign in to a kiosk for? I'm in the friggen line. Thanks for texting the last 5 minutes instead of letting me know before. So, after that I sign in to the kiosk, as someone else who came in behind me finishes signing in.

I figure OK I'm signed in I'm going to go play with the phone. As I'm playing with it, someone else walks through the door as another customer is finishing up, to which the guy says "can I help you?" and she gets served, ahead of me. It's been about 15-20 minutes by now.

Meanwhile, we have "John the stock boy" just putting crap on shelves behind the counter. We have Bertha who is apparently just a greeter standing by the kiosk sending text messages, and we have Rico Suave the typical greaseball salesman who finished up with his other customer, who is now chitchatting with the sales guy who is actually helping out the people at the counter, and telling Airborne stories, looking at me a couple times, but not helping.

So, I get back near the the customer counter, and see there are 2 more people ahead of me in the queue, and the same two people have been at the counter for at least 10-15 minutes now.

I ask Bertha how much longer she thinks the wait would be, and I just get a dumbfounded look and she tells me blah blah we have 2 people working. I told her that's not what I said. Are those 2 people in the queue the same ones at the counter, or are there 2 more ahead of me after that? She said she thinks there are 2 more ahead of me. I told her that by this point I already wasted half an hour of my time, I'm not sitting here waiting for them to get their crap together while they had 2-3 idle employees, and walked out the door.

I understand if a store is busy, fine you're busy. But when you've got 3 people standing around f'ing off, when it's clear that I need something, and I ask two times, I'm not going to waste any more time.

Hopefully tomorrow's better. That incident actually gave me a headache, after wasting a half hour of my time. Stupid people.

You definitely sound like the type of customer that I would be so anxious to wait on - NOT
    12-27-08 09:02 AM
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that's had this experience, but I have no sympathy nor tolerance for people who are incompetent in their job. If you are on the clock, and sitting around jacking your jaw, then yes I'm going to get irritated. You can guess about my employment history but you would be wrong. It's not the waiting so much that irritated me, it's the 3 idle employees. I really am a decent guy; to judge me by my aggravation for incompetence is pretty, well, whatever the word is for it.

As far as the Kiosk, I've never been in to a Verizon store before (got my first phone in a Circuit City 2 years ago), and the sign-in Kiosk wasn't advertised or anything like "sign in here for service". For the last 28 years, if I want something, I get in line. I'm not a mind reader. Perhaps a sign would be beneficial. Not everyone is some supergeek that spends all their time in Verizon stores to know that they must sign in first.

But, like I said, glad to see that I'm not alone in my experience. And no, I'm not above anyone else, but I do feel that I am more important than getting some bluetooth headsets stacked on a shelf behind the customer.

I didn't ignore customers just so I could finish unloading a trailer of hay or shavings or horse food, putting together a wheelbarrow, or anything like that.
    12-27-08 11:57 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD