so i got ready for work this morning, grabbed my phone from the cradle and noticed my reception says "SOS". no clue what that meant. So i tried turning the phone off/on and still the same thing. I opened up Manage Connections and check my Service Status. I noticed everything said "not connected" and under "Mobile Network" still says SOS and under "Mobile Network Provider" says AT&T!! Had no clue what was going on. So as i was driving to work, i decided to do a battery pull and still nothing. so i kepted driving and noticed i got 1 Bar and 1x but it kepted going back and forth from 1 Bar/1x to SOS. I tried dialing *228 to program my phone but couldnt get connected. FINALLY when it did connect and programming was successful, i got full bars and back to 1XEV. Anyone know what happened? First time this had happened to me. I had no clue why it was connected to AT&T network.
    04-09-09 03:00 PM
    no iddea but that is raaaaanndddommmm
    04-09-09 03:05 PM
    that is strange, only thing that comes to mind is that it somehow switched to GSM and was using the sim card (which from what I understand will cause the "S.O.S." to be displayed), but that shouldn't happen on it's own... very odd indeed.
    04-09-09 03:17 PM
    so i got ready for work this morning, grabbed my phone from the cradle and noticed my reception says "SOS". no clue what that meant. So i tried turning the phone off/on and still the same thing. I opened up Manage Connections and check my Service Status. I noticed everything said "not connected" and under "Mobile Network" still says SOS and under "Mobile Network Provider" says AT&T!! Had no clue what was going on. So as i was driving to work, i decided to do a battery pull and still nothing. so i kepted driving and noticed i got 1 Bar and 1x but it kepted going back and forth from 1 Bar/1x to SOS. I tried dialing *228 to program my phone but couldnt get connected. FINALLY when it did connect and programming was successful, i got full bars and back to 1XEV. Anyone know what happened? First time this had happened to me. I had no clue why it was connected to AT&T network.
    Happened to me on .75 everytime I went into my garage lol. Verizon had no clue it hasn't happened since being on any of the beta OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 03:24 PM
    i was in a dr's office the other day and didnt have any reception... 'sos' appeared by the signal indicator
    04-09-09 04:10 PM
    From what I've seen on cell phones (blackberry's and others) the SOS has something to do with 9-1-1 and the phone only being have to call emergency number... I don't know how to get into or out of that setting but I've heard it 1,000's of times on 9-1-1 calls...

"9-1-1 Where is the emergency?"

"I didn't call 9-1-1, my phone just said S.O.S. and called you"

Could have nothing to do with it... Who knows!
    04-09-09 04:13 PM
    Do u live near san jose/santa clara? if u do this mite be the reason.......

Vandals Cut Cable; Trigger Massive Phone Outage

04-09-09 04:48 PM
    ^^ yea...i live in morgan hill. my internet also went out too around that time. good find!![/
    Last edited by mlnhtrang; 04-09-09 at 06:11 PM.
    04-09-09 06:05 PM
    Dissent27 is the one who originally posted that link. But I put 2 and 2 together and thought that mite be your problem if by chance u lived in the area.

04-09-09 06:24 PM
    SOS means that you have no cell service, however even phones with no service attached to them are required by law to be able to dial 911 (SOS). What happened is for some reason your phone switched to another provider. If your on Verizon it might have switched to At&t. When this happens your phone will tell you SOS meaning that you can call 911 only, no other service.

If you go to Manage Connections and switch back to your provider, say Verizon, the SOS should go away opening your phone to make calls. If it didn't happen there may have been and outage for your provider over the cell tower and no roaming provider was available which can switch your phone to SOS until you can reach your provider or a roaming provider again.

It could have been a quick glitch in your phone that switched the providers too.
    04-09-09 08:49 PM
    i've had SOS appear at random a couple times that i noticed. even tho i have my settings on verizon only. who knows. not the buggiest thing i ever seen my storm do ha
    04-09-09 09:12 PM
    I work and live in SJ and a friend of mine who works with me lives in Morgan Hill also and she reported the same thing to me this morning. Her's also said she was on the AT&T network which was pretty weird. I think Gilroy, Hollister, Morgan Hill area was all out this morning.
    04-09-09 09:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD