Hi all, first time poster/owner. I'm now hooked on the Crack, etc. etc. Thanks to all for providing so much free assistance, you've gotten me out of a number of bad spots over the past month.

I do have one remaining annoyance, and for some reason it's bothering me more than it should...hopefully someone has experienced this and can provide a solution.

The problem is simple; when I do a battery pull/QuickPull, the red "Verizon V" background/wallpaper reappears.

I promise I did my homework first; I'm aware of the "hypothesis" thread in the OS/Beta sub thread regarding media card access issues/freeze on reboots. However this is still happening even with the wallpaper I want saved to device memory, and/or the SD card removed from the device before and during reboot.

I'm also aware of the thread titled "2 Bugs: Wallpaper and Headset" (sorry, no links...). Problem # 2 for that user seems to describe my issue as well, however that thread seems to have gotten focused on the headset issue.

Here's my configuration, hopefully one of the experts will see something that jumps out:

- OS .85 with BES to a Novell Groupwise server + BIS to a Gmail account.
    - Fairly non-restrictive IT policy; the only requirement I've found is a required unlock password.
    - Apps installed: WeatherBug, QuickPull, VyMail, Nav4All and 3 Website Launchers

I've tried placing the wallpaper I want on the (1) device memory only, (2) the SD card only, (3) the device memory and the SD card and, as mentioned above, removed the SD card entirely.

I should also note that in any of these situations, Home Screen > Options > Change Wallpaper shows the mini preview picture of the appropriate wallpaper even before I press the button to bring up my picture list. Lastly, I would tend to lean away from an OS-specific bug, since this was happening on my previous installations of .65 (out of the box) and .76 as well.

Any help greatly appreciated!
    12-30-08 09:52 PM
    Weird. That's not happening to me. Looks like you've exhausted every option.
    12-30-08 09:54 PM
    I had that too with .85!!

Transfer your wallpaper to the on board memory. Hasn't happened to me since.
    12-30-08 09:56 PM
    I had that too with .85!!

Transfer your wallpaper to the on board memory. Hasn't happened to me since.

Worked for me too!
    12-30-08 09:58 PM
    Thanks for the quick responses; I have placed the wallpaper on the device memory; still no luck.

Out of curiosity, are you BES, BIS or BES/BIS users? As unrestricted as my policy seems to be, I wonder if that's causing an issue?

Thanks!
    12-30-08 10:04 PM
    bcb375: I am BIS.
    12-30-08 10:06 PM
    hey bcb375,

I have the solution (well, the one that worked for me that is). Don't know if you still need it though, but here it is...

Go to... Options-->Memory
    then make sure your settings are as followed,

'Media Card Support' - On
    'Encryption Mode' - Device (do not select any of the settings that include 'Security Password'
    ... the remainder is to your preference.

All media files that I use as wallpapers & contacts pictures are located in the 'Device Memory'. Helps my Storm operate a bit faster since it doesn't have to initiate other drivers just to access the miniSD.

The issue lies w/ the Storm's OS trying to access a media file w/ a proverbial wall in the way. After a reset, the Storm attempts to load the wallpaper you selected before you enter your 'Security Password'. That causes a conflict since you obviously haven't even entered the password yet. I have done a soft reset w/ 'QuickPull' & a battery pull. Wallpaper shows up like it should.

Hopefully RIM corrects this in the next software update. They could do what Microsoft does with Windows when you have User accounts & have the Verizon V image as a log-in screen.
    Last edited by BerSerX; 01-06-09 at 09:48 PM.
    01-06-09 09:43 PM
    hey bcb375,

I have the solution (well, the one that worked for me that is). Don't know if you still need it though, but here it is...

Go to... Options-->Memory
    then make sure your settings are as followed,

'Media Card Support' - On
    'Encryption Mode' - Device (do not select any of the settings that include 'Security Password'
    ... the remainder is to your preference.

All media files that I use as wallpapers & contacts pictures are located in the 'Device Memory'. Helps my Storm operate a bit faster since it doesn't have to initiate other drivers just to access the miniSD.

The issue lies w/ the Storm's OS trying to access a media file w/ a proverbial wall in the way. After a reset, the Storm attempts to load the wallpaper you selected before you enter your 'Security Password'. That causes a conflict since you obviously haven't even entered the password yet. I have done a soft reset w/ 'QuickPull' & a battery pull. Wallpaper shows up like it should.

Hopefully RIM corrects this in the next software update. They could do what Microsoft does with Windows when you have User accounts & have the Verizon V image as a log-in screen.
    Thanks for the information; I've tried to change that setting and am locked by my IT policy. This would seem to confirm my suspicion that my problem is BES/policy related.

I agree on the hope for a fix; thanks for the reply...
    01-08-09 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD