All of us who got the short end of the stick yesterday, should write to our local papers with our story. I think VZW took advantage of the hype-factor and made it look like the STORM was the best thing since sliced bread and had so few to sell at their opening. The local papers make it look like it was so successful and they couldn't keep the STORM on the self, when in reality it's pretty darn easy to sell out just SIX!

All of us here in crackberry seem to have pretty good writing skills in addition to superior BB knowledge. It should be US writing to the �people�, not the VZ Marketing folk who are lying/misleading through their teeth .

GOOGLE your home town paper and then click on, "contact us�. Include a picture, if you have one, they love that and will probably help getting it used in their paper.

I was #9 yesterday when they sold out their 6 devices here in South Florida. I was promised �overnight� delivery for today, but I am not going to hold my breath. Whether or not I receive it today matters not, I am still writing to my local paper and will post it here later today.

I will name my article�����CUSTOMER SAYS, �Verizon leaves bad taste in mouth� or Customer says,� VZW should be ashamed of themselves� or, �Customers want to scream disappointment and ask CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW�����I�ll think of something appropriate!
    11-22-08 05:02 AM
    good idea.

i recommend using the below picture. the public can't resist sad puppy dogs!

11-22-08 05:06 AM
    Yep, our NOVA store had 30. All gone by 10am. I was in the store until 1pm waiting for their system to get online. Seems they should have learned from the Iphone opening problems.
    11-22-08 05:09 AM
    Bowie, MD had about 35ish. I got number 16 :-)
    11-22-08 05:22 AM
    You didn't get "duped" because today is still .........today. Now if it was Sunday, different story. And for the number of handsets each store had it was probably based on previous blackberry sales or something to that effect , not some random low number. Just put it in your head that its coming today and let tomorrow be tomorrow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 05:38 AM
    Trust me, this is NOT what Verizon wanted.
    11-22-08 05:52 AM
    Whether or not I receive it today is totally irrelevant. I was in line yesterday after having received a call from the VZ Rep that I should show up as close to 8AM, as possible. I was there at 7AM!
    Receiving it today (IF I do) doesn�t negate the underhanded marketing hype VZ set out to accomplish.

You must work for them because that�s the ridiclous answer I got from their floor supervisor yesterday. She said �ohhh, you�ll get it tomorrow�, like THAT is supposed to make me feel better??? NOPE not at all. I was there yesterday to receive it and VZ failed me and sooooo many others.

You didn't get "duped" because today is still .........today. Now if it was Sunday, different story. And for the number of handsets each store had it was probably based on previous blackberry sales or something to that effect , not some random low number. Just put it in your head that its coming today and let tomorrow be tomorrow.

11-22-08 05:57 AM
    how about you just stop ******** and being a pain in the ***, writing your paper? lol you are kidding me? you think your the only one who is pissed off, this happened everywhere. And it always happens with a highly anticipated phone. get over yourself, write your local paper? pathetic..god you people are starting to really annoy me
    11-22-08 05:58 AM
    Of course I am not the only person mad about this, read all the posts!!! That's why it is a good idea to contact their local paper because we here in AMERICAN have the right to voice it and should. Instead of just gripping in here, grip where the rest of the world hears our words.

It's wrong that VZ could get some really good PR out of this when in reality they should be sited for the worst launch everrrrrrrrrr, yes, including iPhone's.

how about you just stop ******** and being a pain in the ***, writing your paper? lol you are kidding me? you think your the only one who is pissed off, this happened everywhere. And it always happens with a highly anticipated phone. get over yourself, write your local paper? pathetic..god you people are starting to really annoy me
    11-22-08 06:04 AM
    I think the puppy left someone a surprise on the floor!

11-22-08 06:22 AM
    Tell me about it. I didn't plan on getting one yesterday but just went over to take a look at one. Our Lawrenceville, Ga store only had 11 that came in. They were sold out in less than an hour. The OP was correct, of course you can't keep them on the shelf if you only have 11!!!

11-22-08 06:29 AM
    You know, some may consider this act of "being a ****ty provider" a smart move on verizon's part. In this ailing economy, this may be smart, ordering 150 phones per store, would be a waste to guarentee every person a phone when they can easily suffer a few days with out it by ordering one and recieving it a few days later. I mean sure its annoying that verizon didn't have enough in each store. I went to my local store, they had 60 and then got another shipment of 50 in and they all were sold out that day, i think verizon did there part where i live. But writing your paper to complain, is just a tad ridiculous, feel free to do so because its a free country, but you can't always go run to mommy and taddle everytime you have a problem
    11-22-08 06:35 AM
    You know, some may consider this act of "being a ****ty provider" a smart move on verizon's part. In this ailing economy, this may be smart, ordering 150 phones per store, would be a waste to guarentee every person a phone when they can easily suffer a few days with out it by ordering one and recieving it a few days later. I mean sure its annoying that verizon didn't have enough in each store. I went to my local store, they had 60 and then got another shipment of 50 in and they all were sold out that day, i think verizon did there part where i live. But writing your paper to complain, is just a tad ridiculous, feel free to do so because its a free country, but you can't always go run to mommy and taddle everytime you have a problem
    That makes sense NFL but by the same token I know how some of these people feel. I would have been mad also if I did plan to buy one that day and especially at my nearest store. I think it's possible that it was a geographics thing. Where you live there were probably a lot of people that shop there from past experience. That's why they were able to put out 110 in a day. On the other hand, where I live they only had 11 and maybe didn't expect to sell all of them that day. I don't know, anythings possible.

11-22-08 06:46 AM
    I'll preface this post by saying I was #13 in line yesterday and did get a Storm, which I feel is a good device that will get better with time on the device and updates.

Do I think Verizon wanted more to sell.....yes. Do I think this was rushed to marked and probably could have given it another 3 months in the oven.....yes. Do I think they did the right thing by getting some last minute software updates on there, probably losing some sales permanently.....yes. If I didn't get it would I be ticked off....yes.

All that being said, I don't think writing anyone will do a darn thing. Think about it, hype and lower product quantity create demand. It's the simple supply and demand. People want what they cant have even more. As someone else said, you can't guess at how many you're going to sell, you have to look at other launches of your product from the past and start there. What if they had 1 millon on launch day and only sold 400,000. Not a good business decision by VZW or RIM.

There are tons of companies out there that do this with products. Apple with iPhone 1G, Sony (Playstation), Microsoft (Xbox), Mattel (Elmo - I think Mattel), and the master at creating demand for their product, Nintendo. I remember getting up early multiple times to get to stores for some of these products only to go home dejected, but getting back up and trying again another day. Or how about when BB or CC put out their Black Friday ads and there are lines 200 to 1,000 people deep to get that $999 60" Plasma TV or $299 laptop and they only have about 20 (or less) of each in the store (I do think things are going to be different this year though).

In today's economy I think VZW was smart in holding back some of the supply (or RIM was smart not producing it). There is such volatility that I'm sure VZW had some idea what to expect but wasn't entirely sure where this would go. There is a great post on this site about a Verizon photo op and when you think about it, how smart is that! When was the last time you got some free press and people standing in a line to get into a cell phone store. They could have done it a little better, I'll give you that for sure, but I think more people are clamoring for the phone because of this.

Just my opinion. Remember I got a phone so there may be some bias in this opinion but I don't think I would be that different if I didn't get it. I've waited on lines for things I didn't get before too, and I just kept trying.
    11-22-08 06:48 AM
    Agreed! +2
    my store only had 15 but i got there at 6am and i was #4...early bird gets the catch
    11-22-08 06:48 AM
    I was number 80 at my store and I was just on the cusp of not getting one. I stayed IN THE STORE and DIDNT LEAVE like the people before me and when the system came back up they hooked me up and I was on my way.

In other words, its not Verizons fault, it's the stores fault for not being busy enough to justify them sending more than what they got.
    11-22-08 06:55 AM
    Of course I am not the only person mad about this, read all the posts!!! That's why it is a good idea to contact their local paper because we here in AMERICAN have the right to voice it and should. Instead of just gripping in here, grip where the rest of the world hears our words.

It's wrong that VZ could get some really good Page Ranking out of this when in reality they should be sited for the worst launch everrrrrrrrrr, yes, including iPhone's.
    we here in American? What have you done personally to claim you have that right? get a life
    11-22-08 06:57 AM
    I couldnt agree more. What a dissaster of a launch for Verizon. I cannot blame the local stores for this, as it appears that the VZW execs even left the stores in the dark on all of this. I dont know a single store that even knew much detail about the Storm prior to launch. They didnt seem to know quantities or exact pricing.
    What a shame Verizon...your loosing your pants in your landline business, one would think that Verizon would have learned from the Iphone launch.....
    Isnt it funny, that Apple actually approached Verizon first to market the Iphone, and VZW declined.... that was thier very first mistake. However, striking a deal with BB could have redeemed that blunder if only Verizon launched this better.
    11-22-08 07:04 AM

It's wrong that VZ could get some really good Page Ranking out of this when in reality they should be sited for the worst launch everrrrrrrrrr, yes, including iPhone's.
    Spend a year over there in the sandbox like me, or more like several years like some of those Army boys. Spend birthdays, holidays, family deaths and more away from home. **** on your misunderstood rights. My brothers and I have bleed, yes I have BLEED for your rights to not be subjected to tyranny or be victim to terrorism; but your right to have a god damn cell phone? Get a eff'n life. If you are an adult, over the age of 17, I have to say it is embarasing to be in a position that means your life is more important than mine. Grow up.
    11-22-08 07:15 AM
    Have you guys been living in caves most of your lives?

As someone else stated this is not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. It happened with the PS2 and PS3, Xbox, iPhone, Cabbage patch kids, Elmo, Wii, etc. They can't make enough of a product to account for everyone in the country on opening day. It's just not feasible.
    Grow up, you're not 4 year olds so stop crying like one.

I forgot to mention, 10 devices in thousands of zip codes across the country is a lot of Storms, so any way you look at it, they had a great day in sales.

Posted from my 700P at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pool_shark; 11-22-08 at 07:24 AM.
    11-22-08 07:17 AM
    lol I did get a storm yesterday, I knew a rep and he told me a shipment was supposed to come in around noon, so I got there around 11 and waited till it came in. Previous to that shipment they only had 2 in that store. Anyway I don't think Verizon launched this very bad at all. Look how much buzz it has generated. If you write to your paper and it gets published you are advertising for them. Chances are someone is gonna be like "Oh I saw a commercial for that, I think I'm gonna go try it out in a store." I don't think they planned to have so few in stores, but due to reverting back to the old OS, I dont think they did too shabby.
    11-22-08 07:21 AM
    Yes the phone had alot of hype. But was it VZW or all of us who are addicted? Seriously there was maybe 2 commercials on the Storm. Also from what I heard from a Sup running around here this morning we had roughly 400k phones in DF. I started watching inventory numbers around 11am and we were selling between 90-100 per min.
    11-22-08 07:23 AM
    Spend a year over there in the sandbox like me, or more like several years like some of those Army boys. Spend birthdays, holidays, family deaths and more away from home. **** on your misunderstood rights. My brothers and I have bleed, yes I have BLEED for your rights to not be subjected to tyranny or be victim to terrorism; but your right to have a god damn cell phone? Get a eff'n life. If you are an adult, over the age of 17, I have to say it is embarasing to be in a position that means your life is more important than mine. Grow up"
    DDDowell has it right. Letter to the paper? AMerican right? A lot of folks have lost jobs just before the holidays and are suffering. A person not getting a Storm does not merit a whining letter to the editor IMHO.
    11-22-08 07:28 AM
    Relax.

Hope you get your phone today, or Congress will have to set up a special session for Monday at 8 am.

When you get your Storm, and you are happy (one can only hope) are you still going to write your local paper?

Exactly what will that do?

Well, good news! Maybe you can write your letter from your STORM, and really enjoy yourself.

Good luck, and find a hobby.
    11-22-08 07:28 AM
    Have you guys been living in caves most of your lives?

As someone else stated this is not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. It happened with the PS2 and PS3, Xbox, iPhone, Cabbage patch kids, Elmo, Wii, etc. They can't make enough of a product to account for everyone in the country on opening day. It's just not feasible.
    Grow up, you're not 4 year olds so stop crying like one.

I forgot to mention, 10 devices in thousands of zip codes across the country is a lot of Storms, so any way you look at it, they had a great day in sales.

Posted from my 700P at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Can I ask you a question, how can you compare a video game system release to a cell phone release which will only affect one cell phone carrier? And it's funny how you even throw Elmo into this. How can Verizon release a phone and not even provide all of there stores with them. And people were talking **** about the Iphone release, atleast all of the At&t/Apple stores had them instock. Like BGR said this all had to do with the OS problems that they were having. They didn't want to many people to have a beta Storm so they just sold a couple and plan to make the rest of the people wait till they upgrade the OS.
    11-22-08 07:42 AM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD