I was on phone with VZW I asked about the newer OS and if there were alright since I have 148 and i see on here 240 or 230. They said if i upgraded to that since it is not authorized by them it could void warranty if i needed a new one because the phone crashed.

So now should I do the update or no
    10-16-09 09:35 PM
    Well you could always wipe the phone and downgrade if it were to crash...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-09 09:39 PM
    why do people open their mouths? Why would you call Verizon in the first place? Update the OS. If anything were to happen you just downgrade and take it to them. pretend you don't know anything about OSs

10-16-09 09:42 PM
    why do people open their mouths? Why would you call Verizon in the first place? Update the OS. If anything were to happen you just downgrade and take it to them. pretend you don't know anything about OSs

I didnt know this is all secretive, The people at the stores know all about it all, but my cd rom isnt working so I heard they have DM on there site and I needed to get it. Sorry if I blew your cover there ZO6
    10-16-09 10:06 PM
    10-16-09 10:13 PM
    upgrading your OS DOES NOT void your warranty. Your carrier might not support it but it sure isnt voided.
    10-16-09 10:14 PM
    LOL

its definitly just a method to scare u.. here is two huge reasons why.

Reason 1 - They have caught many of us accidently tell them we have OS 230 or OS 151 .. etcetc and they politely trell us it might void our warranty.. well i GURANTEE U if it really did void the warranty they would makr it down on our account ASAP that we are voided.. no way they say " it might voide your warranty sir" LMAO what a joke.

2nd reason - Almost all VZW reps and obviously tons of other people also experiment on crackberry and/or other sites just like this.. i suppose they are all voided too. rofl.. not to mention 1000s of them are beta testers for OS 5.0 and other OS.. does that mean if one goes bad. the warranty is voided. LMAO.. like verizon wont replace a phone that the ****y software ****ed up and they are taking a "risk" by voiding 1000s of phones each and every day??.. i highly doubt it

My guess is.. they tell us this so they dont have to service or answer all these dumb threads most newbies post on here... after all it does take some guts to make a post.. let alone your first.. and there is the whole how many non -signed in lurkers u think we got here??.. lol

I put OS 151 on my sis phone when she got it .. and she started having the old hour glass and no rotation bugs and called verizon.. having no clue i would have told her **** no.. and also not even know what a crackberry is. lol.. They immediately gave her the it could void ur warranty speech and then even said if they cant reload the original 148 OS then they would send her a replacement.. they actually walked her through it.. a complete amateur and had all her contacts.. apps etc saved and un harmed.. i was very surprised.. but this is how i know they are jus pulling ur leg and for lack of better words BULL ****ing you

To end the story: I made her wait over 2 months before i would reload 151 and then 5.0 came out 1 week after I loaded.. lol i got paid back for my pay back . haha

-murph
    10-17-09 03:30 AM
    When i bought mine, around the time of .113 leaked, the salesman told me they were on .113 leaked, and told me i should go for it!
    10-17-09 05:50 AM
    I never really understand why people do this. Why would you ask your carrier if it's ok to run a leaked OS??? I mean seriously, that's like calling up the FBI and asking if it's ok to copy that DVD you bought.
    10-17-09 11:00 AM
    And chances are you will only have a software problem. Even when I have a software problem with an official OS, I just reload it. That saves me a trip to the verizon store and I get to keep my own phone. Tons of people return phones with software problems that they CAN fix themselves.

These phones are smart phones and should be handled by smart people :-)
    10-17-09 12:51 PM
    I was having a chat was a verizon person just the other day and I told him in passing I was on 167 and he told me he was on 230. They are just like us trying to do what ee can to make this phone work right. I didn't ask him if he had a business card or something jammed behind the battery but I would not be at all surprised if he did.

10-17-09 12:58 PM
    I was having a chat was a verizon person just the other day and I told him in passing I was on 167 and he told me he was on 230. They are just like us trying to do what ee can to make this phone work right. I didn't ask him if he had a business card or something jammed behind the battery but I would not be at all surprised if he did.

Exactly. I knew there was a reason why I like pkcable

Anyhow if you have issues just wipe the device with BBSAK and bring it in. There is no way for them to tell. The reps you talk to on the phone or in the store have the mind set that it's a dumbphone and with those messing with the OS can void the warranty. BlackBerries are much different then that.
    10-17-09 01:30 PM
    op,

good luck doing something to your storm's software that can't be undone...i've tried to mess my phone up using DM, BBSAK, CMDR, etc....and none of them have caused irreversible damage to my phone.

well, there are ways to break it alright, but i don't think you'd be able to figure it out. definitely can't break your phone by changing OS...and with a wipe, Vzw wouldn't even know any better...
    10-17-09 04:38 PM
    It sounds like the OP was simply talking to a CSR who doesn't know much about BB's and the whole "scene". I'm almost willing to bet that the CSR is not a BB user so they won't know about the fact that, yes, there are OS builds out there other than what Verizon offers. A CSR with a good working knowledge of the BB would have answered "sure, you can load it but if you screw things up, that's on you". It will not void the warranty; the software is not going to destroy the hardware.

Years ago when I had a Pearl, mine had a faulty Bluetooth module (pairing with anything for more than a minute caused the phone to restart). The CSR asked if I had tried loading a new OS but I simply played stupid. "You can load other OSs on there..." when in fact, I had already tried another OS but it did not fix the problems. The phone got RMA'd and the next one worked fine.

Telling a customer that changing things themselves will void their warranty is a common practice. If you put new tires and wheels on your car, will it void your car's warranty because you're not running with the stock set up? Nope. If you install a turbo, does it void the warranty on the rest of the engine. Nope. Unless... they can prove that the modifications that you did is what actually causes problems with the rest of the engine. It's easier to tell the customer that you cannot do something rather than proceed at your own risk.

Derek
    10-17-09 04:51 PM

chill out there z06mike... some people on this site don't know as much as you THINK you know.. that's why they ask questions. I'm sure you at one point, were just as green in this area of your self proclaimed intelligence as everyone else on here. I'm sure at some point in your life.. you too "opened your mouth" ... so cut the OP some slack and just give him the courtesy you expect and answer his question without a smart mouthed answer that shows your mental state. A simple.. "Update the OS and then if you have problems... just reinstall the original OS".. would have done. With that said.. you all have a very crackberry day..
    10-17-09 05:08 PM
    the only time i was ever that green was when i didn't have a cell phone, ROFL!
    10-17-09 05:12 PM
    If you put new tires and wheels on your car, will it void your car's warranty because you're not running with the stock set up? Nope. If you install a turbo, does it void the warranty on the rest of the engine. Nope. Unless... they can prove that the modifications that you did is what actually causes problems with the rest of the engine. It's easier to tell the customer that you cannot do something rather than proceed at your own risk.

Derek
    Installing a turbo on a car that did not come with one would almost definitely void the warranty of the engine, if not the whole powertrain. The dealer could argue all day long that increasing the manifold engine past design as well as running new fuel maps (or trying to use the stock ones with a new turbo) caused your engine to fail and they would have a good point. However, if you brought the car in because the radio quit working or the AC system lost its charge, they couldn't deny warranty service because you installed a turbo.
    10-18-09 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD