I have received my new Storm. It works well with the Vodafone Sim card. I tried the procedure OPTIONS, ADVANCED OPTIONS,SIM CARD and it says : Security Disabled. So it should be unlocked. I tried to put another Sim card but it says "Sim card not valid". It is Sim locked or unlocked?
    11-15-08 11:20 AM
    Why would it be unlocked? Unless you bought it full retail and requested a code.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 11:22 AM
    First, full retail is not available. I think that if you commit for a 2 years plan is like paying full price.
    Blackberry suggests the procedure to check if it is locked or unlocked and it says "security disabled" and it means it should be unlocked
    11-15-08 11:36 AM
    I have a kind of similar option on my phone, my guess is it allows you to bind the phone to your sim-card, so you cannot even use another vodafone sim in it without a passcode.
    11-15-08 12:49 PM
    I have received my new Storm. It works well with the Vodafone Sim card. I tried the procedure OPTIONS, ADVANCED OPTIONS,SIM CARD and it says : Security Disabled. So it should be unlocked. I tried to put another Sim card but it says "Sim card not valid". It is Sim locked or unlocked?
    What other sim card were you trying to put it?

The phone is locked to vodafone so if you put a vodafone sim in it should work. If you stick an Orange sim card in it won't work.
    11-15-08 12:54 PM
    to check if it is unlocked, you need to go to options>advanced>sim card

Then hold caps and type MEPD

under network, it should say disabled if its unlocked, and active if its locked.
    11-15-08 12:58 PM
    Theres no network field.

Under Sim Card option I've got:
    ID: (a bunch of numbers)
    Phone Number: Unknown Number

Thats it.

If I bring up the keyboard and type MEPD in CAPS nothing happens.
    11-15-08 01:17 PM
    No it's not unlocked.
    11-15-08 01:22 PM
    I can confirm that Storm on VF is locked.

Tried with a different sim card and I get the message 'SIM card Invalid'.
    11-15-08 01:25 PM
    The "security disabled" is if your SIM card has a PIN security associated with it. i.e. if you need to type your 4 digit PIN code on startup.

Mine says Security Enabled, and theres an option to disable it. Its got nothing to do with the handset being locked to VF sim cards only.
    11-15-08 01:29 PM
    Seems strange as the demo handsets sent into store will work fine with a different sim card
    11-15-08 01:30 PM
    Thats weird. I presume since its an exclusive device, they've locked it much like Iphone on 02 & AT&T.
    11-15-08 01:35 PM
    Seems strange as the demo handsets sent into store will work fine with a different sim card
    No those units are basically eval units which aren't locked.
    11-15-08 01:37 PM
    to check if it is unlocked, you need to go to options>advanced>sim card

Then hold caps and type MEPD

under network, it should say disabled if its unlocked, and active if its locked.
    Good info CJ! I did not even know that. When ever I unlocked a BB, I always put in my co-workers T-Mo sim card to make sure it was unlocked.
    11-15-08 01:45 PM
    Crucial_Xtreme that would make sense I suppose the next question would be arround Vodafones policy and ease of unlocking, how easy are the other Blackerry's to unlock, are there seperate companies or is it networks only.
    11-15-08 03:11 PM

Thats it.

If I bring up the keyboard and type MEPD in CAPS nothing happens.
    You can type MEPD capped, If you do you will get network: Active
    11-16-08 04:55 AM
    yep. got that. i now get:

SIM: Disabled
    Network: Active
    Network Subset: Disabled
    Service Provider: Disabled
    Corporate: Disabled
    11-16-08 06:12 AM
    on the same note, can anyone shed some light on what these things mean?
    11-16-08 06:17 AM
    It would mean that the haandset is locked by the network not rim, anyone found anywhere to unlock these yet
    11-16-08 08:06 AM
    how does one unlock a blackberry anyway?
    if its locked by the network, does that mean that only the network can provide the code? (as with my old nokias for example), or can codes purchased on the web work?
    11-16-08 09:11 AM
    Just read this on Voda eforum

Good Evening everyone,

Just to confirm, we won't be able to unlock any BlackBerry Storm handsets at all, so I'd only recommend a purchase if you're going to use it on Vodafone

Tom

eForum Team
    11-16-08 01:46 PM
    Well that ois an interestoing twist!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-08 05:14 PM
    I'm not sure if that means Vodaphone Storms Can't be unlocked or Voda just won't do it ?

How does unlocking actually work as I see people are already selling "unlocked" Storms on ebay & there are unlocking websites....so I take it people can get the codes without having to go via the Carrier ?
    11-17-08 05:51 AM
    I'm not sure if that means Vodaphone Storms Can't be unlocked or Voda just won't do it ?

How does unlocking actually work as I see people are already selling "unlocked" Storms on ebay & there are unlocking websites....so I take it people can get the codes without having to go via the Carrier ?
    Voda won't unlock them. Doesn't mean they can't be unlocked.
    11-17-08 06:15 AM
    Thanks C_X, thats what i was hoping the answer would be
    11-17-08 06:21 AM
308 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD